PDA

View Full Version : New acquisitions?

JBowl1
10-22-2011, 08:46 PM
Hey friends. My local gun shop has some PPK and PPKS Walther's for about $475. Made by Interarms (or imported by them). Not sure the age. Good condition. Is this a gun worth having for the collection? Anyone know anything about the quality, accuracy, etc.? Also, they had a "no name" BAR for about $450. I have thought of buying a Century Arms version, but they are a $1,000. Suggestions there? Thanks. --John

Barth
10-22-2011, 09:10 PM
Hey friends. My local gun shop has some PPK and PPKS Walther's for about $475. Made by Interarms (or imported by them). Not sure the age. Good condition. Is this a gun worth having for the collection? Anyone know anything about the quality, accuracy, etc.? Also, they had a "no name" BAR for about $450. I have thought of buying a Century Arms version, but they are a $1,000. Suggestions there? Thanks. --John

You're not stating the caliber?
Or whether it's German or U.S. made?
Or the finish?

Anyway, I shot a German .380 years ago and was unimpressed.
It seemed to kick hard for a .380 and bit the web of my hand.
I don't remember the accuracy.
Mostly because I didn't like the gun - LOL!

getsome
10-24-2011, 01:01 PM
I had two of them both .380, one made by Interarms and another S&W Walther...Both were beautiful guns to look at but jamomatics...Sent the second S&W one back to the mother ship and it was somewhat better but still wouldn't shoot 50 rounds of FMJ without several jams...Also both pistols had the worst super heavy triggers of any pistol I have ever owned...I traded both for something else and never looked back....

Popeye
10-24-2011, 02:06 PM
I heard it said more than once that many prefer the Bersa Thunder .380 (Clone PPK) to the PPK. I had a Bersa Thunder .380 like the one below it was a real nice pistol for the price. I'd still have it if I didn't buy the PM9.

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1230537823785&id=ef26deb2bca467590c6188c56f5fe3ef&url=http%3a%2f%2f4.bp.blogspot.com%2f-WiZBu3wDVeU%2fTZMxL_8V4dI%2fAAAAAAAAAWA%2fckLzVC2G rqg%2fs1600%2fBersa_Thunder_380_nickel.jpg

ripley16
10-24-2011, 03:48 PM
Interarms both imported Walthers as well as made them here in the U.S. Depending on the caliber, the pistols may be valuable. A blued Interarms made in Germany may be worth around $500. A blue PPK, made in Germany is worth as much as $700. any .22lr guns are worth $600-800. Stainless, U.S. made guns are a little less valuable.

I've had German made, German made imported by Interarms and U.S. made, (Interarms), Walthers. They were all well made, high quality, reliable and accurate.

Price depends on caliber, finish, country and of course condition. These are good guns, worth having in any collection.

Zippo Guy
10-24-2011, 03:51 PM
I have both the Interarms PPK/s in .380 and TPH in .22LR in stainless and have never had any problems with either. They are great guns.

JBowl1
10-24-2011, 05:26 PM
My gun shop has both blue and stainless. .380 caliber. I have no idea if German or American made.

mr surveyor
10-24-2011, 05:53 PM
I think you guys will find that Interarms was NOT a manufacturer. The company was considered an "importer" here in the U.S.. They bought mass quantities of used, or new "unissued" military and/or police type weapons worldwide and sold them either in large bulk orders internationally or smaller orders to distributors here in the US.

ripley16
10-24-2011, 07:07 PM
My gun shop has both blue and stainless. .380 caliber. I have no idea if German or American made.
It will say right on the gun "Made in ____".

I think you guys will find that Interarms was NOT a manufacturer.
Interarms produced pistols in their facility in Alabama. When Interarms went out of business upon the death of the owner, Smith & Wesson bought their manufacturing capability. Yes, Interarms imported surplus guns by the boatload, but they also produced the PPK, PPK/S and TPH models after the 1968 gun control act.

mr surveyor
10-24-2011, 10:09 PM
did they manufacture, or assemble parts, as did Rohm (RG) and others?

I didn't realize that Interarms had the manufacturing capability?

I've been wrong before.... once or twice..... o.k., maybe a dozen times or so.....in the last year...... alright.....but no more than a dozen times this week:)

JFootin
10-25-2011, 09:07 AM
Yes, InterArms was licensed to manufacture the PPKs. Here are a couple of posts from another forum:

"My Walther PPK, bears the following markings: Made In The USA (below the Walther scroll) under license of Carl Walther Waffenfabrik Ulm/Do. and on the other side is the name INTERARMS of Virginia. So if INTERARMS didn't make it, who did?"

"If I recall correctly, Interarms was licensed to manufacture PPKs in the US shortly after Walther ended their relationship with Manhurin of France (about '86, I think). I remember this being a big deal because prior to US manufacture, you couldn't get a new PPK in the US, since it didn't meet GCA '68 import criteria. This was the whole reason for the existence of the PPK/s. The Blue Book also mentions Interarms as a manufacturer and importer."

mr surveyor
10-25-2011, 09:25 AM
Yes, InterArms was licensed to manufacture the PPKs. Here are a couple of posts from another forum:

"My Walther PPK, bears the following markings: Made In The USA (below the Walther scroll) under license of Carl Walther Waffenfabrik Ulm/Do. and on the other side is the name INTERARMS of Virginia. So if INTERARMS didn't make it, who did?""If I recall correctly, Interarms was licensed to manufacture PPKs in the US shortly after Walther ended their relationship with Manhurin of France (about '86, I think). I remember this being a big deal because prior to US manufacture, you couldn't get a new PPK in the US, since it didn't meet GCA '68 import criteria. This was the whole reason for the existence of the PPK/s. The Blue Book also mentions Interarms as a manufacturer and importer."

Ranger Manufacturing, maybe? I think Interarms obtained the manufacturing license from Walther but did not have the physical capability to actually "manufacture", so they contracted out the actual manufacturing. I suppose that under by legal definition Interarms would be considered the manufacturer (liability issues), but in reality the actual production was sub-contracted to another company.

I have an 1872 .50 cal rolling block rifle originally made for the navy with the Springfield stamp on it..... it was actually made by Remington, but their ain't a single Remington mark on it anywhere. Go figure.