PDA

View Full Version : Loaded chamber indicator (ejector)

Ikeo74
10-26-2011, 02:19 PM
Looking at the extractor to see if the chamber is loaded is not real apperant to determin if in fact there is a round in the chamber. However in addition to the extractor I have noticed that in average light I can see past the extractor and actually see a chambered round right behind the extractor. The complete brass rim is viewable when you look behind the extractor. So between the two I can determine with 100% accuracy if a round is chambered without racking the slide. Just an interesting observation for me and hopefully helpful for some of you with Kahrs. Look at yours and see if the cartridge is seeable.

OldLincoln
10-26-2011, 02:46 PM
Why isn't the extractor accurate? Mine sticks out if chambered and doesn't if not. I don't know, but figure the loaded chamber indicators somehow tie in with the extractor so it's good enough for me.

Thunder71
10-26-2011, 02:56 PM
Mine always has one in the hole, no guesswork or indicators needed.

Posted from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk.

GTM
10-26-2011, 02:58 PM

+1 on that!

Bawanna
10-26-2011, 03:02 PM
Why isn't the extractor accurate? Mine sticks out if chambered and doesn't if not. I don't know, but figure the loaded chamber indicators somehow tie in with the extractor so it's good enough for me.

Don't the California versions have load chamber indicators? I thought they were on top. Your right, they work almost like an extractor but just stick out so can see and feel them. They do nothing else usually.

Ikeo74
10-26-2011, 03:16 PM
I read in my owners manual not to trust the extractor to determine weather the gun was loaded or not. It's printed in my CM9 manual. So I thought I'd throw that comment out for people that didn't trust the extractor view indicator.;)

Bawanna
10-26-2011, 03:21 PM
Your idea is a sound one but also just like the extractor you can't really trust it solely either. In bad light or when your eyes ripen like many of us you might get a false reading.

Even a loaded chamber indicator which usually can be felt with a finger isn't really to be trusted. They can get stuck, fortunately usually up so you think your loaded and your really not. I guess it wouldn't be fortunate if you needed it and thought you were loaded but weren't.

I guess like previously mentioned I just assume always loaded, and press check to confirm whenever the is any doubt.

yatyas42
10-26-2011, 03:35 PM
A good press check is the only thing I use. Loaded chamber indicators are useless as far as I am concerned. These are only machines and things like round indicators break!

340pd
10-26-2011, 06:24 PM
Rule # 1
Treat all guns as if they are loaded.

Work from there

OldLincoln
10-26-2011, 06:28 PM
Bawanna, the CA law was a reaction to being one upped by MA requiring external safety and LCI. CA also requires a mag disconnect although if asked, I doubt any of those who voted in the law know what it does. I swear sometimes I think Pelossi drops into Sacramento and walks into the state congress telling them what to do and after getting off their knees they do it. No need to know what's in it as they can always have their staff read it when it's printed into law.

wyntrout
10-26-2011, 10:47 PM
I just look down the barrel... keeping my fingers off the trigger.

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m620/wyntrout/IMG_0007.jpg

It won't go off unless you pull the trigger.:p

Wynn:)

wyntrout
10-26-2011, 11:36 PM
My P380's extractor doesn't come close to level with the surface of the slide. It's no help as a loaded indicator... and lest anyone forget... Kahr says the extractor can indicate a loaded chamber but it's not reliable or dependable for determining an empty chamber. So remove the magazine and pull the slide back to check for empty... then still treat it as a loaded gun.

Wynn:)

jocko
10-27-2011, 04:43 AM
If I remember I read somewhere that the P380 extractor does NOT indicte a loaded round feature. The Otrher kahrs do when loaded have a slight protrusion of the extractor toindicate a loaded round. Althojugh IMO a very piss poor way to check for a loaded round as even the bigger kahrs dont protrude much. but the P380 just doesn't give any indiction. I am surrpsed the regular kahrs are even accepted in states that require a loaded round indicatoor. basically one should always consdier every gun loaded as wyn stated.

nunnya
10-29-2011, 12:41 AM
Assume the gun is loaded!
If a piece of brass got ripped off the round it may cause the indicator to not stick out.
If some carbon covers the side of the round you may not see it.
Unless you drop the mag, rack the slide and stare into an empty chamber
assume it is loaded!

nunnya

ripley16
10-29-2011, 04:18 AM
Why isn't the extractor accurate? Mine sticks out if chambered and doesn't if not.

There is a fair amount of variance, between all of all the Kahrs I've owned, in the protrusion of the extractor. Some pop out far enough to only need a visual check, some barely move and are hard to discern if loaded even by feel.

I've come to not trust the indicator. If I want to check for some reason, I do a press check. Even with a hole or gap to see the brass, unless it were easy enough to see with my old eyes, I'd still want to do a press check.

My Seecamp has a slot by which to check whether the gun is loaded, but it is pretty large and obvious, and I do in fact use it. A good idea for gun design, but it has to be user friendly IMHO.

Popeye
10-29-2011, 06:32 AM

Posted from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk.

+2 If it's not in the safe there's one in the pipe. Like also mentioned treat all guns all the time as if there loaded. Only way a gun is not loaded is if the mag is dropped and the slide locked back and checked. (twice)

jocko
10-29-2011, 06:36 AM
There is a fair amount of variance, between all of all the Kahrs I've owned, in the protrusion of the extractor. Some pop out far enough to only need a visual check, some barely move and are hard to discern if loaded even by feel.

I've come to not trust the indicator. If I want to check for some reason, I do a press check. Even with a hole or gap to see the brass, unless it were easy enough to see with my old eyes, I'd still want to do a press check.

My Seecamp has a slot by which to check whether the gun is loaded, but it is pretty large and obvious, and I do in fact use it. A good idea for gun design, but it has to be user friendly IMHO.

thing is nice but not so good at low light or dark, not sure whether that would pass the "snift" test for reqirements of a loaded round indicator. Probably not. I know my PM9 ad K9 is always loaded ALWAYS.

OldLincoln
10-29-2011, 01:17 PM
I also keep mine loaded and chambered when not doing my laser drills. I don't depend on the extractor but I notice it and it has always been correct. I would never look at the extractor, seeing it indicate no round chambered and pull the trigger to prove it. That's plain double D dumb.

jocko
10-29-2011, 01:32 PM
I had a customer many years back walk in with a Marlin 22 39A Mountie lever action, super looking and wanted to trade it. He handed me the rife and I turned around and just jacked the lever back and out popped a 22 round, jacked again and another round. He had a entire magazine tube loaded. I emptied the gun and handed it back to him and told him I was not interested in trading. I was pissed but bit me tongue to say no more.

STUPID IS AS STUPID DOES;; Forrest gump.

OldLincoln
10-29-2011, 01:36 PM
I guess handling a customer's gun "is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you'll find." Forest Gump.

jocko
10-29-2011, 01:42 PM
damn: forgot that statement...

QuercusMax
10-30-2011, 07:05 AM
I've looked many times, but on my MK9 Elite what is supposedly the loaded chamber indicator really doesn't look any different with a round in the chamber vs. empty, thus is useless.

But it doesn't matter - like everyone else who has commented in this thread, I would never rely on the indicator to tell me anything.

OldLincoln
10-30-2011, 10:09 AM
damn: forgot that statement...
As punishment you have to watch the entire movie one more time!