PDA

View Full Version : PM9 First Range Report

wyntrout
01-12-2010, 05:08 AM
I just got back from the range last night ~ 2 1/2 hours firing .22 TPH, PM9, K9, and S&W 645. The most fun and most accurate was the new-to-me PM9. I had one failure to fire with the .22 and a DA second pull fired that Stinger. I had one failure to feed on the PM9 and that was a Federal 135 grain HydraShok in the 7-shot magazine. I had one failure to eject and that was the same ammo with a seven-shot K9 magazine. That was out of about 150 rounds through the PM9 (out of about 192 9mm fired), consisting of 36 Blazer 115gr FMJ, 50 124gr TFMJ, 25 Remington 124gr GS, 22 Winchester 115gr Silver Tip, and at least 17 Federal 135gr HS. None of this stuff was low flash and I think that the Stingers were the brightest! Most of my shooting was from 7 yards or so and just a little at the max range of 15 yards at the indoor range. Most was rapid fire and my technique was firing as the aligned sights came across the general area of the target -- close defensive fire practice. When I did take my time and do everything right, the holes would appear where I aimed, so the guns were doing their part.
I just received my UpLula magazine loaders yesterday morning and they are fantastic. After watching that one YouTube video, I was sold. It beats the heck out of my HKS mag loaders. I bought two of those and some more BB 90gr for my still missing P380N with the Cabelas coupon. I only shot about 4 mags of .22 because I already had a split thumb (dish and hand washing -- dang DW is awaiting parts) and it was no fun trying to poke those little things into the magazines with a sore thumb! With the UpLula, the rounds just drop into the magazine with no poking or shoving. Outstanding product (Israeli) and my best recent purchase... AFTER, of course, the used, but like new PM9 DLC with N/S!:D I still can't believe that deal -- $588 out the door! I kind of expected to win the lottery after being that lucky! Unfortunately, the PM9 was my only prize Saturday. The UpLulas replace my three HKS loaders: one for .45 single stack, one for .45 double stack, and one for 9mm and .380 single stacks. I haven't found anything for those darn Walther .22 TPH mags.
For now, I've got the PM9 in my raggedy old Uncle Mikes IWB holster. I have to see what I want for regular carry of the PM9. It's too bad that my MiniTuck for the P380 doesn't fit it. I may get one for it... or a MicroClip. I need to research the choice.
I shot up most of my odd ammo, leaving me with my 124 gr TFMJ practice ammo, some Federal 135gr HS, and Remington GS (regular). I've ordered some 9mm S&B 124gr FMJ for practice and some Cor-Bon 125gr JHP +P for carry. I wanted the 124gr Remington GS +P, but Cabelas was out of that and I settled on the Cor-Bon. I used those $20 coupons at Cabelas 4 times which more than covered the shipping $14.95 on each order. AND everything that I bought was on sale as well. I like bargains!:D I'll have to pay for all of this stuff next month!:p
It's after 7am here and I need to get a few hours of sleep in my bed. I got a few in my "TV chair". Maybe target pix later.
Wynn:)

ripley16
01-12-2010, 05:33 AM
None of this stuff was low flash and I think that the Stingers were the brightest!

For some real fun with your TPH, try some of this ammo if you can find it. I shot some a few years ago and couldn't believe my eyes. :eek: The hyper velocity, 30 gr. round would flatten out and punch a perfect circle that looked like a .38 special wadcutter. I showed my target to some folks at the range and none of them believed me...until I let the range owner shoot some himself. The muzzle flash is pretty impressive too.

Aguila 22 LR 30 gr Super Maximum HP 1750/fps 50/box - Natchez Shooters Supplies (http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=AU1B222297&src=tpMfg)

I recently found a partner to my .22 TPH...it's big brother .25acp. They look the same but shoot differently.

wyntrout
01-12-2010, 02:40 PM
I thought that I would post a few pictures from my first trip the range with my new-to-me PM9.
All of these at 7 yards, torso perpendicular to line of fire using right hand, cupped by left hand, no rest. Most shots are hurried or rapid fire and I would fire as the aligned sights approached the desired aimpoint -- not exactly fine target shooting, but CQ self-defense.
After firing about four clips of .22 (hurts split thumb manually loading),
#1 I fired the 6-shot mag at the upper right rectangle, sort of low center/middle
#2 Second mag -- the 7-shot.
#3 Best 7-shot (70/70)
#4 Target front
#5 Target back.
I fired about 24 .22 stingers (BRIGHT flash), close to 100 .45acp, and about 192 9mm with about 150 through the PM9.
I only had two malfunctions with the PM9, both using Federal 135gr HS. One was using the 7-shot mag and one using a 7-shot K9 mag. I forget which was which now, but one was a failure to feed and the other was a failure to eject, caused, I believe, by the top round in the magazine already being halfway up the feed ramp. I saw this when I loaded the first round by slide release and then ejecting the magazine. The next round was protruding forward. I loaded one round again and slowly pulled the slide back to find the next round, indeed, was halfway up the feed ramp. The failure to eject probably struck the case mouth of the protruding next round and caught there, not ejecting. The failure to feed could have been from a collision and deflection downward of the next round by the ejecting fired round.
Just my observations and opinions/conclusions. The Federals were used early on as they were the K9's loaded magazines, and then a few PM9 mags of them. Those were the only malfunctions, besides the one Stinger which fired on the second strike DA/SA TPH. That's handy with .22's.:)
I do wonder about the Kahr magazines with the next round being that far forward when the gun is fired and the ejection sequence begins. I couldn't see any big difference between the case mouths of the different brands of ammo, but it was only with the 7-round magazines and the Fed 135gr HS that there were problems.:confused:
It was fun shooting the centerfires and reloading mags with the UpLula. That takes the pain out of magazine loading and needing several different loaders... and having to adjust them for different calibers -- 9mm vs. 380.
Wynn:59: :D
Ooooh! I'm a Senior Member now!:blah::cheer2: