PDA

View Full Version : LGS vs. Online

nksmfamjp
10-27-2011, 09:20 PM
Well, in my Kahr quest, I looked at 3 LGS's, but they just couldn't/wouldn't compete. What is worse, is I got hassled for wanting a Kahr which wasn't in stock by one LGS. So I ended up going to Bud's. Price, selection, ease of purchase. . . Online is best. To top it off, apparently Bud's has a 30 day cash back warranty!

I would rather buy local, but these guys just don't get it. I saved $200 and get a warranty!

What are LGS's doing to compete? I mostly see them closing or becoming feedlot retailers like Vances. I have bought from Vances, but I can't take the feedlot mentality and listening to straw deals on Hi Points!

Bawanna
10-27-2011, 09:36 PM
I try hard to support my local shops much as I can. I give them first chance. I'll even pay a little more. Now that our state requires us to pay sales tax on out of state purchases it's leveled the playing field.

When I bought my PM45 I asked my local guy for a price. I've bought several guns from him and he should know when I ask I'm serious. Right off he says I don't want one of those, they are so expensive. Ordered at Buds the same day. Had it sent to another dealer along with my next 3 after that.

Don't mess with bawanna. I like the guy and I still ask but very little slack if he don't want to please.

O'Dell
10-27-2011, 10:40 PM
I always try my LGS first. Their prices are very good, the same or just a bit higher than Bud's. That said, they can't compete in selection if I'm looking for a specific gun. A friend of mine saw my SIG 1911 C3 and now he wants one. I checked at my LGS today and they can order one and priced it a $789, but it will be three weeks. Bud's has them in stock, and I had to request a price, but I imagine it will be similar. I've bought six pistols from Bud's, and in every case but one shipping was very fast. The exception was over Christmas this past year. Two of the six were used, and in both cases the condition was actually better than described.

Barth
10-27-2011, 10:55 PM
I try local first.
Want to support local business.
But 1/2 the guns I buy I can't find locally and would have to order and wait weeks.
That's not happening.
Plus when I want a very specific gun, with very specific options,
I almost have to hit the net and go national to track it down - LOL!

MK40 Elite 03 with NS
Talo Special Edition EXO Glock G27 with NS

Also, for me, no sales tax makes shipping and FFL transfer a wash

TheTman
10-27-2011, 10:58 PM
I bought at my not so LGS the last two times, and used them to receive my gunbroker com on my Dan Wessons, and both of my Kahrs. They were hot and heavy on Sprinfield XD's at the time. We're going to be taxed on out of state sales soon so I'll probably do more business with them. They work on a low commision basis, out of the back room of a beaty shop, kinda nice to see some ladies getting worked on when you go in, LOL. When they get around to taxing farting (greenhouse gas tax) i'm gonna go broke.

Rainman48314
10-28-2011, 12:51 AM
9 of 10 this year have been local, three were used pieces. Even among competing LGSs, there is often a 15-20% price swing.

Sparks1957
10-28-2011, 03:05 AM
My LGS guys know that if I'm asking for a price quote, I've probably already done the research and made up my mind. In turn, they usually quote me a price that is competitive with any I'll find online. No trying to talk me out of my decision. If they don't have it in stock, they'll order it. In a couple cases, they've suggested buying online because the gun is a discontinued model and they can't find it any easier than I can.
This level of trust and respect has been cultivated, and you won't get that at the big-box stores. I believe in supporting local business, but they also have to work to earn the business.

JohnR
10-28-2011, 06:08 AM
I was shocked yesterday when our LGS told me they'd sell me a new M&P 45 for five hundred. But they're usually not very competitive. It pays to give them a chance.

Fortunately this store has never tried to talk me out of a purchase.

The best deals were at another LGS that recently had a 30th anniversary 30% off sale. I was flat broke, or I'd have laid down a lot of money there!

bigmacque
10-28-2011, 06:58 AM
I've narrowed my LGS purchases down to one store. I have seven to choose from that are all within easy shopping distance, but only one has consistently provided a great deal, a fair trade, and an easy transaction. I've bought two online, in fact both Kahr PM9's were purchased online, but for all future purchases I'll deal with the guy that I've picked out as a winner.

It took some searching, dealing with, and a transaction or two to come to this conclusion, but I think it was worth the time.

Popeye
10-28-2011, 07:05 AM
Can't say I ever bought a gun on line. The LGS's around me are pretty good. I think and I have built a good repoure with them. I like feeling the pistol in my hand feeling it's action etc. I like being able to field strip the pistol I'm thinking of buying, not one like it but the actual pistol I'm considering walking out the door with. I might pay a few bucks more for the pistol for the luxury to do that,but it's nice to have someone to fall back on if things don't go quite as planned. Also nice to be able to but a paricular pistol on layway if you come across a deal that works for you. (Like my very slightly used Kahr PM) I like dealing with local guys as much as possible beause if we don't at least give him a shot then he just might have to close the doors and then we have nothing. Which just means more local people out of work also.

Like I said I have a good repoure with them. They know me, and they know I'm not an easy sale. They also know that I'm not full of SH8 either and that if I'm looking at a pistol I'm serious about buying. They know not to try to BS me as they know I've done some homework first on the pistol /rifle in question. I have seen people come in the store without a clue about anything. They look like Amish walking into a liqour store and get treated much differently.

OldLincoln
10-28-2011, 09:02 AM
How can a LGS compete with on-line? They can't if the on-line has decent volume. The LGS will pay more for the gun, shipping to their store, paper work when you buy it, and of course the cost of the building rent, materials, labor, local taxes, etc. It's really no wonder LGS are closing shop, and it's not just guns.

I look but am careful in buying local or on-line. However, there's only one store left that sells reloading stuff so I try to buy even stuff I can get on-line there.