PDA

View Full Version : PM9 and Hornady

Chogers
10-28-2011, 08:21 PM
Took my new PM9 to the range today and fired 200 rounds to comply with the break in period suggested by Kahr. Not a single hiccup with all 200 rounds I fired. Than I tried some Hornady Critical Defense rounds. I put 5 in the 6 round mag and I pulled the trigger on the first two. On the third round it fired but didnt extract the spent shell. I had to manually do it and than I dropped the slide and fired the last two with no problems. Anyone had any problems with the PM9 and the Hornady Critical Defense rounds?

Popeye
10-29-2011, 06:42 AM
I've never had a problem shooting them through my PM9. Could be because after 200 rounds the gun was a bit dirty. I'd say clean the pistol and try again. Some guns even though they might be the same exact gun might not like a specific brand of ammo. I shoot Federal HST's through mine also with good results.

BrewerGeorge
10-29-2011, 09:44 AM
They're flawless through mine. They're my carry round.

kramm
10-29-2011, 10:14 AM
I don't have a pm9, have a pm45 but use that ammo in alot of different guns . Never had a problem with them.

jocko
10-29-2011, 10:33 AM
Took my new PM9 to the range today and fired 200 rounds to comply with the break in period suggested by Kahr. Not a single hiccup with all 200 rounds I fired. Than I tried some Hornady Critical Defense rounds. I put 5 in the 6 round mag and I pulled the trigger on the first two. On the third round it fired but didnt extract the spent shell. I had to manually do it and than I dropped the slide and fired the last two with no problems. Anyone had any problems with the PM9 and the Hornady Critical Defense rounds?

right, give the slide internals a good cleaning, u might have crapo9la in the striker channel. That is a good round. To fire and then the gun not extract the round out of the chamber is not right. Possably a bad box of Hornady even, did u go back and tretry with the regular ammo u started with and if no issues, assume bad ammo, Go to another brand for defense and test out. very strange indeed..

ur new here, : did u go to the kahrt tech section and hit on two good stickys that will help u along big time.

#1 kahr lube chart

#2 propper prepping of ur new kahr.
it will tell you how to clean that upper slide and striker channel without dissambly.

Bill K
10-29-2011, 11:07 AM
I believe that CD rounds are pretty soft shooting, at least this seems to be the case with their .380s. If this is also true of their 9mm offering then, like the others have already said, a dirty gun. Maybe your particular PM9 is a bit tighter than most and might need more of a break-in in order to handle the Hornady CD more reliably?

OldLincoln
10-29-2011, 01:43 PM
"In the beginning..." my PM9 didn't like Federal HST. After I polished the feed ramp and chamber mouth and rubbed TW25 into them it fed like all other rounds. Now that I have a lot through the gun it all feeds like it's a hungry bear. Don't get frustrated with it, it's still in the housebreaking stage. There's nothing magic in the 200 round number, you'll know when it's ready.

Now get a Silent Thunder Holster (http://garrettindustries.mybigcommerce.com/products/Silent-Thunder-IWB.html) to carry it in and you'll be ready to go.

jocko
10-29-2011, 01:48 PM
I think Ol Loncoln said it best, no magic in 200 round number, smetimes the rabbit will apppear at 100 sometimes at 300. It will happen..

340pd
10-29-2011, 02:51 PM
Mine works great with Hornady CD. Your gun needs a good cleaning after 200 rounds. That ammo is top notch.

Chogers
11-03-2011, 08:30 PM
Ok thanks guys! It probably was just really dirty. I didnt try anything else after firing the 5 rounds of Hornady. I cleaned it up really good and will take it back to the range and shoot the rest of the box of Hornadys than I will get something different to try. What about the Gold Dots? Any luck with those?

KoBear
11-03-2011, 10:47 PM
my edc rounds are hornady critical defense... good luck!