PDA

View Full Version : Too cute to put down

gb6491
11-01-2011, 10:14 PM
I'll make no amends about this: I like/love .22LR handguns and the 1911 platform. So while this might be a little pricey ($540+) for what it is (http://www.browning.com/library/infonews/detail.asp?id=347), I couldn't resist:
http://i42.tinypic.com/42u0h.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/2rn8zm1.jpg
I took it right from the register to the range, pausing just long enough to put some lube on the rails and the barrel. Burned through a little over 300 rounds (mix of Blazer, Winchester Wildcat, Federal Champion, and American Eagle) without a single hiccup:) I did get a little hammer bite, but absolutely loved shooting this gun. For now, it's a keeper and I'm looking forward to doing the durability testing :D
Left, best group of the session was my last nine rounds (ten yds. standing)
Right, ten rounds standing at about three yards; should be adequate for an unexpected encounter with a rattler (though I prefer to give them all the space they want).
http://i39.tinypic.com/11scx8k.jpg
Regards,
Greg

Bawanna
11-01-2011, 10:33 PM
Sweet looking gun. I never even knew they were coming. I see they were just released in June. Sounds like a keeper for sure.

Is it scaled down just a bit? It looks small in some of the web pics and in your hand. Others it looks full size?

Could just be the angle.

gb6491
11-01-2011, 10:50 PM
Bawanna,
It's about 85% the size of a standard GI model 1911:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg71Hdcdyvg
http://i44.tinypic.com/287qk8z.jpg
Regards,
Greg

JFootin
11-02-2011, 07:19 AM
Man, that's a sweet little gun! American made. Browning really has a winner there!

QuercusMax
11-02-2011, 09:09 AM
I like/love .22LR handguns and the 1911 platform.

I share your feelings, and thus have a .22 caliber 1911 of some type near the top of my wish list (competing with a few other badly-needed guns). Have considered getting a conversion kit for one of my 1911's but somehow don't find that appealing. I had heard of the Browning but hadn't seen one for sale yet anywhere I shop. Kimber makes a few models but they cost as much as a normal 1911. Sig also has one that is more reasonably priced.

I really like my Browning Buckmark, so another Browning (like yours) would be quite appealing if I can find one sometime. Still dreaming ... which is at least half the fun. Happy shooting.

Bawanna
11-02-2011, 09:13 AM
Well I guess my eyes are still fair to ok. The side by side picture really puts it in good perspective. The dang list just got a little longer.

gb6491
11-02-2011, 10:44 PM
My thanks to all for their comments:)

Well I guess my eyes are still fair to ok...
Yep, you still got it amigo:D

FWIW, here's a video I put together from today's outing with the little 1911-22 (my first real attempt at editing a video, so my apologies beforehand for the quality of it):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkCtcGgfN3c

Regards,
Greg

Bawanna
11-02-2011, 11:23 PM
Awesome video Greg. I had to download adobe or some thing to watch and I watched the shot show vid by mistake, I was like what the heck is this.

Then found my error and watched yours. That puppy really rips in rock and roll.

Once again you've planted a serious seed of want in me. Glad I didn't get a GSG yet. I like the way that one comes apart and it looks nice too.

I'm not even gonna ask how to make a movie. Way over my head.

gb6491
11-03-2011, 12:13 AM
Thanks boss!:)
I really like this gun myself. I haven't cleaned it yet and the round count is nearing 600. I had a dud round today and three failures to feed. The first failure to feed came somewhere after 400 rounds. It didn't feed at all from the magazine (figured the follower was gumming up), then I had another round from the same magazine load jam. These rounds were from my grab bag of loose/ejected/picked up rounds. My guess is that the second round to jam was deformed. If it were deformed and bound things up when it was in the magazine tube, that would probably explain why the the other round didn't feed at all. The other FTF was using Remington Target loads (standard velocity), I'm guessing I just wasn't gripping the gun tight enough as it looked like a "limp wrist" failure to me. The rest of the Target loads fed without issue. I also ran 5 hyper velocity rounds through it; they worked fine but I'll not use them in it. Frankly, I was surprised to shoot that many assorted .22 rounds and only have one dud. The FTFs I would attribute to faulty ammo and a shooter induced failure.
Three things I could see needing improvement:
Better sights, the ones on it are true "GI".
Re-profile the hammer or grip safety, I get a little byte (darn word filter) from the hammer now and again (nothing bad).
Trigger pull is a tad heavy, but breaks cleanly.
I'm already hoping they make an all steel version of it.http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-signs051.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)
Regards,
Greg

JFootin
11-03-2011, 12:53 PM
Great video, Greg! Man, that is a sweet pistol. No ambidextrous safety, though. Darn!

I love that rock-n-roll!

Bawanna
11-03-2011, 01:03 PM
I see they offer a compact version also. I would opt for the full size myself. I didn't realize it wasn't steel.

I'm envisioning a nice new set of grips on that puppy too. I already checked and Bud's shows them but they don't have any right now. That's actually good since I can say darn they are out and I was gonna order and not have to tell the truth that I don't got enough marbles in the sack.

That plus I already had an officers wife email looking for Christmas ideas for her officer hubby. They all call me around this time of year which means the count down is in progress.

Oh well. That's a sweet shooter. I notice you have a very high grip very similar to mine so I can expect some biting also. Doubt one could find any kind of drop in beavertail but might be able to add onto and fabricate your own. Just remember pain is a feeling and feeling is a good thing.

gb6491
11-05-2011, 09:21 AM
I see they offer a compact version also. I would opt for the full size myself. I didn't realize it wasn't steel.

I'm envisioning a nice new set of grips on that puppy too. I already checked and Bud's shows them but they don't have any right now. That's actually good since I can say darn they are out and I was gonna order and not have to tell the truth that I don't got enough marbles in the sack.

That plus I already had an officers wife email looking for Christmas ideas for her officer hubby. They all call me around this time of year which means the count down is in progress.

Oh well. That's a sweet shooter. I notice you have a very high grip very similar to mine so I can expect some biting also. Doubt one could find any kind of drop in beavertail but might be able to add onto and fabricate your own. Just remember pain is a feeling and feeling is a good thing.
Bawanna,
The frame and slide are aluminum (well that's what the Browning rep says in the Shot Show video). There is a steel breech block in the slide (the two roll pins hold it in place) that contains the extractor and firing pin, The frame has a steel insert that is the ejector and part of the rails. It also has the disconnector tunnel in it. There is a magazine safety, but is should have no effect on trigger pull as it is a stud on the trigger bow that will contact the mag release when a magazine is not in place. With a mag in place, the release is positioned so that the stud on the trigger will clear a space cast into it's body. The frame does not appear to have any grip bushings (can't say for sure as I did not remove the grips, rather just looked into the mag well). The rest of the frame parts are scaled down 1911:).
Regards,
Greg

Bawanna
11-05-2011, 10:13 AM
I thought the grip screws looked a little off. An escutcheon under the screw but many autos are that way. A guy could easy enough put bushings in it if he ever felt the need.

I thought I read that the frame was aluminum and the slide was alloy, or maybe vise versa? Something was alloy. Nice gun, I don't care what it's made of.

I don't even have speakers on so when I watched the SHOT video I just read lips and looked at the picture. I'd get alot more useful information if I wasn't audio challenged.

Course I have far fewer issues with my old truck too. Son will say this thing is knocking like crazy, huh? sounds like inside a Lincoln Continental to me. We're good!

gb6491
11-06-2011, 09:03 PM
Great video, Greg! Man, that is a sweet pistol. No ambidextrous safety, though. Darn!

I love that rock-n-roll!
Thanks!!:)

Rainman48314
11-07-2011, 10:30 PM
I share your feelings, and thus have a .22 caliber 1911 of some type near the top of my wish list (competing with a few other badly-needed guns). Have considered getting a conversion kit for one of my 1911's but somehow don't find that appealing. I had heard of the Browning but hadn't seen one for sale yet anywhere I shop. Kimber makes a few models but they cost as much as a normal 1911. Sig also has one that is more reasonably priced.

I really like my Browning Buckmark, so another Browning (like yours) would be quite appealing if I can find one sometime. Still dreaming ... which is at least half the fun. Happy shooting.I picked up a full size GSG 1911-22 for about $360. It shoots great and serves the purpose but I bet its not Browining quality. It sure isn't up to Kimber if my Kimber Rimfire Target in 17Mach2 is any indicator. There a lot of "alloy" used and the finish doesn't seem too durable, at least not near the muzzle.

muggsy
12-17-2011, 07:35 PM
Sweet! I can hear my checkbook calling.

wayneo1
12-17-2011, 07:50 PM
It looks like a great pistol and it was a fine video as always a pleasure to view your work. Good luck with your new pistol.