PDA

View Full Version : Anticipating the trigger/flinching

HeyGuysWatchThis
11-02-2011, 07:15 PM
So I went shooting this morning with my CM9, and I had a lot of trouble with anticipating the trigger break/flinching. I thought that I would get used to it, but I'm really struggling with it. Recommendations?

Thunder71
11-02-2011, 07:20 PM
Snap Caps

Have a friend load up a magazine and randomly put in snap caps instead of live ammo (at the range).

MikeyKahr
11-02-2011, 08:00 PM
I think Thunder71 is a fine "replacement" for jocko while he's on vacation. Just what he would have said. Good to have you around T!

Sent using Tapatalk

Thunder71
11-02-2011, 08:17 PM
Imtrtin

I mean - I'm trying!

Posted from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk.

TheTman
11-02-2011, 08:24 PM
Also dry firing is said to help with flinching. Follow normal safety rules, point the muzzle in a safe direction, put the ammo in one room and the pistol in another. If you leave the pistol unattended for a little while, make sure when you come back that gremlins didn't sneak a round in the chamber.

Rainman48314
11-02-2011, 09:32 PM
So I went shooting this morning with my CM9, and I had a lot of trouble with anticipating the trigger break/flinching. I thought that I would get used to it, but I'm really struggling with it. Recommendations?Balance a coin on top of the slide and dry fire...lots.

Shoot a .22 DA revolver for practice

Using a in-bore laser trainer could help too.

Be sure you are leaving space between your trigger finger and the side of the frame and slide.

Focus by shooting at a really small target. My instructor uses the side edge of a business card as a target. Take a knife and make a slit in the cardboard used at the range, insert edge of card, shoot lots.

Thunder71
11-03-2011, 05:15 AM
Balancing a hollowpoint on the end of the slide works too (upside down).

Posted from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk.

OldLincoln
11-03-2011, 10:09 AM
And when you get that one down pat, set a marble up there and put the hollow point on top. Then sell tickets and you get rich and famous!

I'd start with a dime sticky glued to the slide and work up to no glue. :) I couldn't balance a hollowpoint upside down if it were locked in a vise.

sfla99
11-03-2011, 02:21 PM
I have watched a lot of videos while I wait on my PM9 to deliver, and it seems the best way to train is to get used to pulling the take up, stopping right before the break and at that point is where you get your accuracy.

So in essence you pull quick to the break, aim and click ;)

Then again this is all just video impressions haha.

Cheers!

JFootin
11-03-2011, 02:44 PM
I have watched a lot of videos while I wait on my PM9 to deliver, and it seems the best way to train is to get used to pulling the take up, stopping right before the break and at that point is where you get your accuracy.

Cheers!

Were the guns used in those videos Kahrs? There is no break on a Kahr trigger. The commonly recommended method with these guns is a smooth quick stroke with no pause. Learn to place your finger on the trigger so that you can do that moving only your finger and keeping the gun on target. Placement is very important, and so is practice.

Rainman48314
11-03-2011, 03:11 PM

Cheers!Yes, it is possible to stage a Kahr trigger this way at the range. In a SD situation, time is not your friend so you better learn the other technique.

JohnR
11-03-2011, 03:12 PM
I know I said this in another thread, but I'm finding the Laserlyte bore siter is good for this. It's already helping me with point shooting. Focus on the target, squeeze the trigger like you're about to die, and I see a nice neat dot downrange right where I wanted it. If I spend time aiming and staging the trigger, the dot is a blur. Since the dot only appears for a second when it hears the hammer go tick, you aren't chasing it around like with a Crimson Trace.

nunnya
11-07-2011, 10:31 PM
I am no expert.
What works for me is a lot of dry firing.
Have someone put a snap cap randomly in your firearm.
Get a .22 and shoot it a lot!
When you catch yourself flinching on the heavier calibers, go back to the .22 and shoot it a lot!
Repeat as necessary.

nunnya