PDA

View Full Version : Hornady "Critical Defense" FTX - Kahr Tests

Old No7
11-05-2011, 09:17 PM
< Also posted over the Kahr-Tech section >

As a follow-up to my recent post about getting "Great Service" from Kahr for the new-to-me P40 Covert that needed a new set of Night Sights, I figured I would post some recent bullet tests I have done with my Kahrs...

I used to carry the PM9, and then sold it off to my daughter's boyfriend because he really wanted a "carry 9mm" as a companion gun to his Beretta 92 (and that helps keep her safe). So then I got the l'il P380, which has been 100% reliable since day 1, and very easy to conceal.

Well, they say a picture says a 1,000 words, and I think it's true in this case...
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/FTX_Bullet_Tests.jpg

After viewing this pix of the Hornady FTX "Critical Defense" loads as fired from all 3 of the above Kahrs into water jugs -- I think I'll be selling the P380 and carrying only the P40 Covert.

Seeing that LARGE 40-cal thumper on the right makes me want to say: "What's in your holster?" (A take-off on that credit card commercial...)

By the way... If you shoot too close to the water jugs, you will get wet! (Been there, done that...) :rolleyes:

Tight groups!

Old No7

Bill K
11-06-2011, 06:35 AM
Thank you for taking the time and effort to put the comparison together and for posting it here on KahrTalk.

Now, here I go again... Nope, never mind I'm not getting into it.

JFootin
11-06-2011, 07:08 AM
After viewing this pix of the Hornady FTX "Critical Defense" loads as fired from all 3 of the above Kahrs into water jugs -- I think I'll be selling the P380 and carrying only the P40 Covert.

Seeing that LARGE 40-cal thumper on the right makes me want to say: "What's in your holster?" (A take-off on that credit card commercial...)

Old No7

But there's something missing: a .45 slug expanded to .75" or more! :D

OldLincoln
11-06-2011, 10:36 AM
THAT's why I'm so hot to exchange my beloved PM9 that's perfect for a P45! I've looked at everything I can find and haven't seen anything better that's concealable.

Hickok45 has a video on stopping power (which he said was only done because of many requests and he doesn't put it as scientific in any way). In it he shoots a swinging plate mostly in the same spot with .22, .380, 10mm, .45, and .44mag (don't recall if a .357 was in the mix). The .22 basically bounced off the plate with little reaction. The .380 was only a little better. The 9mm was a much better than the .380. The 10mm got a good swing, the .45 was as good or better than the 10mm. And the .44mag liked to have torn the plate down.

I ranked them in the order I listed and won't attempt to carry a .44mag so want a Kahr P45. I really want a PM45 but there not on the list in CA, so I may cut down the grip to PM size if it doesn't conceal well.

JFootin
11-06-2011, 10:48 AM
Even Kahr's PM45 will NOT fit in my pocket. Although I dearly love .45 ACP, .40 S&W is good enough. ;)

IMO, none of the PMs are really small enough for pocket carry unless you have really large thighs and wear heavy cargo pants with a good pocket holster to break up the outline. My CM9 doesn't print in my jeans when I'm standing. But it is a really big and noticeable mass sitting on top of my skinny thigh when I am seated, in or out of a holster. But any of those guns, including the PM45 and even the P and CW guns, are ideal for waist carry. Get the right holster and you are in business. And you can go as concealed as you want, even a tuckable IWB with velcro attachment to the inside of your belt so absolutely nothing is showing.