PDA

View Full Version : CM9 First Shoot and Impressions

Avenger
11-06-2011, 06:32 AM
Got to take the CM9 out yesterday to put the suggested 200 round break in. I had actually followed the advice on this board as to the prep and cleaning and lubing of the gun to get ready for this first shoot.

The SO and I actually put 238 rounds of Federal 115 grain through her without any problems. We had two FTFs, which were both caused by user error in that we didn't seat the magazine properly.

We weren't too concerned with accuracy during this break in phase, but we consistently kept the shots on the target somewhere. I don't see that accuracy will be a problem going forward, especially as I gain more range time with the gun.

Although I had put in some time dry firing the gun to get a feel for the trigger, I definitely need more work on it, especially when trying double taps.

It is a fun little gun to shoot and I look forward to my next range time with it. It will be my everyday carry gun once I get my permit (which I expect to receive in the mail this week) and the Silent Thunder holster I ordered based on recommendations from this forum and good conversations via email with Sheryl, the boss there.

Bill K
11-06-2011, 06:44 AM
Hey, thanks for the range report. Sounds like you got a winner.

Dry firing should help a lot in getting the feel for the trigger. A laser is a great training aid for learning the trigger [and many feel also a plus for carry].

OldLincoln
11-06-2011, 10:47 AM
Way to go, Avenger. I invested in a Laser Lite cartridge practice laser (about $100) and found that really has helped my shooting, especially that critical first shot. This device chambers and has a rubber "primer" that makes it flash 200ms when you shoot. That's just long enough to see where it really would have hit.

I tried the always on laser but found I was moving it and didn't really see where it hit. I initially thought I did but the range doesn't lie. I ran the numbers and decided the cartridge laser would pay for itself in ammo and gas to the range, plus I can practice for a few minutes here and there.

I NEVER have live ammo in the same room as the laser when practicing and always press check to be sure it's clear. Also, Gun fights are over so fast I challenge my skills in practice for the first shot. No double taps, but rack the slide .5" and shoot again.

Avenger
11-06-2011, 10:58 AM
Way to go, Avenger. I invested in a Laser Lite cartridge practice laser (about $100) and found that really has helped my shooting, especially that critical first shot. This device chambers and has a rubber "primer" that makes it flash 200ms when you shoot. That's just long enough to see where it really would have hit.

I tried the always on laser but found I was moving it and didn't really see where it hit. I initially thought I did but the range doesn't lie. I ran the numbers and decided the cartridge laser would pay for itself in ammo and gas to the range, plus I can practice for a few minutes here and there.

I NEVER have live ammo in the same room as the laser when practicing and always press check to be sure it's clear. Also, Gun fights are over so fast I challenge my skills in practice for the first shot. No double taps, but rack the slide .5" and shoot again.

I'll look into the Laser Light cartridge. Sounds like a great training aid that you could use just about anywhere.

Thanks for sharing.

JFootin
11-06-2011, 11:07 AM
Here's a great deal on the LaserLyte LT-PRO:
http://www.amazon.com/LaserLyte-Pistol-Laser-Trainer-45-Caliber/dp/B002N2B0DO. $75.29 + free shipping.

Avenger
11-06-2011, 11:16 AM
Here's a great deal on the LaserLyte LT-PRO:
http://www.amazon.com/LaserLyte-Pistol-Laser-Trainer-45-Caliber/dp/B002N2B0DO. $75.29 + free shipping.

Awesome! Thanks.