PDA

View Full Version : Para-Ordnance or Auto-Ordnance?

sierrajb
11-10-2011, 06:24 PM
I'm such a newbie! I went to a recent gun show and met a fellow gun slinger that had a Para-Ordance. Remembering the "ordnance" part of the name, I showed him my Kahr and said, "Hey, I think these two are closely related." Then I proceeded to tell him about Kahrtalk, Thompson, and Auto-Ordnance. He seemed confused, yet enlightened with my insight.

It just dawned on me these are two completely different guns! Ordnance, schmordance! What's the biggest diff between these two? I'm sure there's a thread somewhere, but jump in there and have some fun educating me. In the meantime, I'm going googling to educate myself.

yqtszhj
11-10-2011, 06:37 PM
It goes something like this . Para-ordanance makes some 1911 like guns and are not part of Kahr. Auto-Ordanance make some too but also is the tommy gun company and is part of Kahr arms or something like that. Others may explain better than I.

It is a confusing thing....

BEARDOG
11-10-2011, 06:49 PM
Well, Para Ordnance was the originator of double stack 1911's that is what they started with back in the late 80's/early 90's, and is what sets them apart from all the other 1911 makers. (other double stack's are available now) They make all types of 1911's now and also a variation of the AR-15.
I have one of the old ones, a P-12 .45 Lightweight, which is a alloy frame, officer sized 1911, but it has 12 + 1 capacity! It is quite a carry gun, small but lots of fire power.

MLESa7990
11-10-2011, 06:49 PM
Two different companies. period.

Ordnance is a word, not a brand name.

...that's my take on it.

Bawanna
11-10-2011, 07:17 PM
Para Ordnance originally was in Canada. They made frames only. The double stack frame being their claim to fame.
Then they started making complete guns and also came up with the LDA trigger system which I love. I have 3 of them. They also make convenional SA 1911 type guns as well. A year or two they opened up shop here in the US.
I think Jeepster is a big Para fan and have a few too.

Auto Ordnance has been around in one form or another for a very long time, under their own name and then under Thompson and now all under the Kahr umbrella. They are all SA 1911's and the have pretty decent reputation also.

sierrajb
11-10-2011, 07:35 PM
Ahhhh, I can feel with wisdom seeping in....the light's coming on a bit, now. Thanks! It's making a lot more sense to me.

For the record, the Para-Ordnance I saw at the gun show was the Warthog. An awesome looking gun with the double stack you all are talking about. The handle was so fat for my hand it felt like a Glock, but much better quality (to me).

Bawanna, what is the "LDA"? I'm guessing the "DA" stands for "Double Action", but I'm lost on the "L."

jeepster09
11-10-2011, 08:46 PM
Ah Para Ordanance......did I mention I love my Para's.....

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv276/jeepster09/IMG_1009.jpg

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv276/jeepster09/IMG_1201-1.jpg

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv276/jeepster09/IMG_1171.jpg

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv276/jeepster09/IMG_0854.jpg

jeepster09
11-10-2011, 08:48 PM
Ahhhh, I can feel with wisdom seeping in....the light's coming on a bit, now. Thanks! It's making a lot more sense to me.

For the record, the Para-Ordnance I saw at the gun show was the Warthog. An awesome looking gun with the double stack you all are talking about. The handle was so fat for my hand it felt like a Glock, but much better quality (to me).

Bawanna, what is the "LDA"? I'm guessing the "DA" stands for "Double Action", but I'm lost on the "L."

"L" means LIGHT as in easy, smooth, sweet!:59:

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv276/jeepster09/IMG_0495-1.jpg

sierrajb
11-10-2011, 09:22 PM
Thanks, Jeepster, for defining the "L" and for posting those pics! Man, those are fantastic guns. Are they both .45 ACP's, or what?

jeepster09
11-11-2011, 06:27 AM
All 45 acp's.

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv276/jeepster09/IMG_0953.jpg

getsome
11-11-2011, 11:13 AM
Does the Para LDA design have a hammer drop of some kind and if not is the only way to drop the hammer by using one's thumb like a 1911....That is the only thing I don't like about the 1911 design and it doesnt feel safe to me to try and ease down a hammer on a live round...

My S&W 4506 has the hammer drop safety so there is no chance of an AD which I like better but I have to admit the 4506 doesn't feel as good in my hand as a classic 1911....

Bawanna
11-11-2011, 12:21 PM
That's the beauty of the LDA. The hammer is always down. Never cocked and locked. The trigger take up is long like a kahr but effortless until you hit a spot where it then feels like a SA1911.
The take up is way less than a pound until you hit the resistance and then it's 3-5 pounds like normal.

The only downfall and not a bad downfall is the trigger reset is like a Kahr also, you gotta let it all the way out.

They are very safe, if you forget the safety, not a big issue. Other wise it looks and feels exactly like a 1911. I went to them not being to warm to the cocked and locked mode although I carried them for years. Now I've gone back but I sill love my LDA's.

getsome
11-11-2011, 12:31 PM
Ok now I get it....That sounds really neat..I gotta take a look at one sometime if the money bush ever blooms again...As for cocked n locked I know long time 1911 folks scoff at it being a safety issue but for me it just seems like a disaster waiting to happen (go ahead 1911 guys, flame suit is on and operational) Thanks Bawann, I'm going to check one of those Para LDA's out...Seems to basically be a Kahr shaped like a 1911, thats perfect...:86:

muggsy
11-11-2011, 01:10 PM
I fell in love with the Para-Ordinance the first time that I saw one and fell out of love the Para the first time I held it. God cursed me with small hands, but blessed me with Kahr Arms. Pun intended. :)

Bawanna
11-11-2011, 01:40 PM
The double stacks are big for a small handed person. I have relatively small hands but still get along ok with them. I have full size double stack 14 rounder, one of the first ones out and I have a officer size which is single and a full size limited that is also single so they work great for small hands.

Longitude Zero
11-11-2011, 02:03 PM
Sadly the LDA has been phased out of the Para fullsized NIB autos. You can still get it in the compact and sub-compact series. I love both of mine.