PDA

View Full Version : CW9 Covert

Gottabkiddin
01-15-2010, 06:21 AM
Just coverted my CW9 into a covert model and was wondering if anyone else had done the same.

Here's some picks of the finished mod.

getsome
01-15-2010, 08:48 AM
Hi Gottabkiddin...How did you do that? I have a CW40 that I really like but if I had it to do over again I would have bought a PM9 for pocket carry...The CW40 will go into my right front jeans pocket ok but the grip is too long and sticks out...I could do with one less round if it would fit all the way into the pocket...I now have invested in a Mag-na-Port job and had Kahr install night sights so trading it for something else would be a money loser and not worth it...I haven't bought an extra magazine yet so was wondering if the PM40 mag would work with a shorter grip frame...Also does Kahr offer the service of coverting a CW pistol...I'm not sure I would feel to good about taking a hack saw to my pistol for fear of a botch job cause I'm certainly no gun smith but the idea of a covert CW40 is very interesting to me.....Thanks for the pictures...nice looking job!!!:cool:

swampman
01-15-2010, 09:34 AM
I sometimes wonder why kahr quit with the covert model,after I bought my first kahr an mk40 they came out with the covert model,that is very interesting,what you did,I too would like to know about that process. :D

Vinikahr
01-15-2010, 10:26 AM
Like it, I do not know if I would have that done to my CW9. Hence, that is why I bought a PM9:84:.

Vinikahr
01-15-2010, 10:28 AM
I sometimes wonder why kahr quit with the covert model,after I bought my first kahr an mk40 they came out with the covert model,that is very interesting,what you did,I too would like to know about that process. :D

Perhaps, the profitability was not in the mixture.:D

swampman
01-15-2010, 10:55 AM
Perhaps, the profitability was not in the mixture.:D
I believe you are right,not enough folks had the need for a covert model,or truly understood it's purpose.:D

Gottabkiddin
01-15-2010, 11:31 AM
Hi Gottabkiddin...How did you do that? I have a CW40 that I really like but if I had it to do over again I would have bought a PM9 for pocket carry...The CW40 will go into my right front jeans pocket ok but the grip is too long and sticks out...I could do with one less round if it would fit all the way into the pocket...I now have invested in a Mag-na-Port job and had Kahr install night sights so trading it for something else would be a money loser and not worth it...I haven't bought an extra magazine yet so was wondering if the PM40 mag would work with a shorter grip frame...Also does Kahr offer the service of coverting a CW pistol...I'm not sure I would feel to good about taking a hack saw to my pistol for fear of a botch job cause I'm certainly no gun smith but the idea of a covert CW40 is very interesting to me.....Thanks for the pictures...nice looking job!!!:cool:

IMO I would rate this mod at or about an eight on a scale of one to ten.

What I did was, align the PM9 mag with the stock CW9 mag and made sure they were perfectly aligned. Then I taped um together so they couldn't move at all. Once I was sure of that alignment I took the measurement and made sure to include the beveled bead of the floor plate on the PM9 mag, then transfered it to the grip using piece of rigid card stock, (I used a business card for mine). I used the card to fold under the grip while making sure the height was correct on the grip and placed it on the table to make sure the angle of the cut would be consistent with the factory grip.

Once I was sure of the angle and amount to be removed, I applied a small straight edged piece of metal along the cut line to make sure it would be a clean and straight cut. I clamped it down and a few seconds later with my Jig saw, I was committed. Before I started the project, I broke the pistol down and wrapped the frame in plastic and stuffed cotton into the mag well to limit the amount of debris. Once that was done some finial touch up with my files and it was done.

Once I had completed the mod, I loaded the magazine into the pistol and heard the "CLICK" and I knew it was good to go. To test the function, I loaded the mag up with some snap caps and manually charged the pistol. I was very pleased to see that all the D rounds chambered and ejected flawlessly and it locked back on empty just as it should, and this was just a modest function check. Under the recoil of a live round I have no doubts that it'll function as it should. Anyway, that's about it. After the mod I broke it down and gave it a good cleaning and added the grease and it's now taken the place of my LCP for most occasions, plus I have a new found love for the pistol again.

45 minutes and a little detail work, no problem. I think the end result is awesome and it fits my ultra concealable 9mm itch perfectly.

Cheers!

wyntrout
01-15-2010, 11:34 AM
Well, Gottabkiddin, you certainly have some cojones to tackle a modification like that! It looks great and if it does what you want, that's a real cost-saver. I thought I had gone way over my ability when I took my used (purchased from a retired Border patrol agaent) S&W 645 that was shooting about 9" low at 15 yards or so and "fixed" it. I filed the heck out of, or off the sight base and the bottom of the Trijicon front sight. I thought surely I had gone too far, but I was able to drill a new pin-hole for the mount and it went together ok. The front of the sight base was squared off, so I put a dab of epoxy there where it gave a rounded, smooth finish. I really thought I had screwed it up, but it shot where I aimed it after the "fix". The rear sights were adjustable for windage. It ain't quite as pretty as originally, but I was satisfied that it was functional for me. It sucks when you cover up what you're aiming at because the gun shoots low!
Anyhow, you seem to have done a good job and got what you wanted without an expensive trip to a specialty shop!:D
Wynn

Chief Joseph
01-15-2010, 12:17 PM
Have you shot it after the change? I notice a big difference in recoil from my PM9 and CW9. Did doing the change affect the recoil much? And have you used your original CW9 mags in it after the change?

getsome
01-15-2010, 12:23 PM
Thanks gottabkiddin for the info....like wyntrout said you got a set for being brave enough to try that but it looks and sounds like you took your time, measured twice and cut once...I'm not so sure I could try it without several shots of liquid courage!!! I sent an e-mail to Kahr service dept to see if they will do the job and how much it would cost....I will post their reply.... Maybe you should consider doing this as a side job since you know how to do it so well??? Whata ya think???? Thanks again:cheer2:

Gottabkiddin
01-15-2010, 12:26 PM
Have you shot it after the change? I notice a big difference in recoil from my PM9 and CW9. Did doing the change affect the recoil much? And have you used your original CW9 mags in it after the change?

Yes to all the questions. It still runs like a champ, but with just a slight change to the muzzle flip. Not anything really worth mentioning, but there is a tad more than when the factory mags are in it. Due to the low bore axis the flip was never much of a problem anyway.

jwr
01-25-2010, 07:35 PM
Very nice work!

I saw something similar done to an XD 9 Service. In that case the guy saved the piece of grip cut from the bottom and slid it over the regular sized magazine to give it a very nice "extended" look.