PDA

View Full Version : Getting a not good feeling for the CM9

markrb
11-11-2011, 01:57 PM
Today was my third range trip with my third CM9 after the first two had issues and were replaced.

This one went through the first two range trips without a nose dive, but had other issues.

Today I had 100% lock back success on every last round..Good Problem solved and explainable by spring being tight originally.

Also I did not have any first round refusing to go into full battery...Still an issue that is not fully explained.

This time I had my first and only nose dive on the second round with this particular CM9. It was using Speer Gold dot +P 124G ammo that I intended to use as my carry ammo.

Even though it was only one round in about 300 I have shot so far IMO it is one round too many for complete trust in a gun that could be used to safe guard my person. Especially when this was a huge issue with a previous CM9 that I had.

I am still on the fence about when can I truly trust this gun to 100%. Is it after 100 rounds without an issue? 200? or never?

I have to compare this to my SR9c that has never had a FTF on almost 1000 rounds from round 1.

One friend I trust is telling me he would never trust this gun again. I am a little more forgiving, but I have to be harsh as this is my personal protection I am talking about.

Kahr really needs to step up and make this more reliable. 3 CM9's and all that have had at least some issue. It really screams design issue to me.

I have ranted enough for today,
Mark

Darren94
11-11-2011, 02:15 PM
I understand your feelings. I am still on the fence about my cm9. It too went back to Kahr and was replaced. Have not tested the new one yet but, its sits in my safe as i continue to carry my Smith and Wesson M&P 9c that has 700+ flawless rounds down the pipe. Not sure what i will do with mine yet.

OldLincoln
11-11-2011, 02:50 PM
While the majority of CM9 reports are very favorable, some do report issues. Of those, several are cured by following the proper prep and lube guides in the Kahr-Tech section. You must run these fairly wet and lube friction spots with grease to break it in.

As for the number of rounds to prove it worthy, each gun varies especially if run on the dry side or if parts are replaced such as the slide. If you follow the prep and clean it well with emphasis on the feed ramp and chamber throat as well as lube point 6 well, it should be fine with use.

Another factor is the shooter. I somehow wish I could shoot some of the problem guns to help me understand the issues better. I had some fail to feed when breaking in my PM9 but went home, polished & lubed the friction areas. The slide got real smooth and the issues stopped. I guess it's my own experience that shapes my thinking.

Devo
11-11-2011, 03:06 PM
Wish me luck. After 800 rounds my CM9 is with Kahr right now for the 3rd and hopefully the last time. I can't help but think I should have bought the PM9.

Ikeo74
11-11-2011, 03:08 PM
My opinion, problems with the CM9 are do to one of two things. 1) Improper lubing the recoil springs and slide. 2) Ammo that is either too long or too short or too weak. With proper lube and proper ammo the problems all go away. If you are having problems, check these two things "before" returning the gun to Kahr to "fix" a non-problem with the mechanics of the gun.:rolleyes:

TheTman
11-11-2011, 03:11 PM
My LC9, Beretta Cougar, and new to me Kimber, are the only semi's I have that have not had problems here or there. You may have a semi that shoots rounds 1-1000 perfect then have a problem on 1001. The LC9 only has about 150 rounds through it, but I use it to slip in my pocket occasionaly. The CW40 took a change in my hold on the pistol to get it to function, and the only problem I've had since was a light strike or hard primer, not sure which. I just put that round in the problem round bin and forgot about it and finished the rest of the mag with no problems, then gave the striker channel a thourough cleaning when I got it home. The CW45 had problems right off the bat, the trigger wouldnt reset and required a trip to the mothership. Then it wouldn't fire +P ammo reliably, and a new recoil spring seems to have helped that. It still doesn't want to fire from the 7 round mags without hanging up, not sure if I want to send it in, or just exchange the 7 round for 6 round mags.

markrb
11-11-2011, 04:42 PM
My opinion, problems with the CM9 are do to one of two things. 1) Improper lubing the recoil springs and slide. 2) Ammo that is either too long or too short or too weak. With proper lube and proper ammo the problems all go away. If you are having problems, check these two things "before" returning the gun to Kahr to "fix" a non-problem with the mechanics of the gun.:rolleyes:

I have to disagree with this statement. Fact is that the problem I had today with the nose dive was with +P ammo. I actually had no issue with the standard pressure on this CM9. My last one nose dived all the time on the 2nd round no matter the ammo type.

I propose you answer this. Why has all my nose dives happened only on the second round? If it was any of what you suggest the issue would be anywhere in the 6 rounds. Every nose dive post I have read says the same thing. The second round. Too many people who shoot different ways and have lubed the gun up well are having this issue for you to dismiss this out of hand as a non-problem.
I can assure you that I have lubed and cleaned the gun before each range visit using both CLP and TW25 grease on high friction areas following the lube guide closely.

Bear549
11-11-2011, 05:27 PM
I had the same issues and I feel that it is due to the recoil spring and the magazine springs being too tight and improper lubing. I sanded the followers, squeezed the mags and all that good stuff, but after leaving the mags loaded for a couple of weeks and the slide locked back for a few nights, the issues went away.

Ikeo74
11-11-2011, 06:03 PM
I have to disagree with this statement. Fact is that the problem I had today with the nose dive was with +P ammo. I actually had no issue with the standard pressure on this CM9. My last one nose dived all the time on the 2nd round no matter the ammo type.

I propose you answer this. Why has all my nose dives happened only on the second round? If it was any of what you suggest the issue would be anywhere in the 6 rounds. Every nose dive post I have read says the same thing. The second round. Too many people who shoot different ways and have lubed the gun up well are having this issue for you to dismiss this out of hand as a non-problem.
I can assure you that I have lubed and cleaned the gun before each range visit using both CLP and TW25 grease on high friction areas following the lube guide closely.
Mark, If your problem was with the 7 round mag, I agree with you. I think that one is due to too stiff of a spring inside the mag. There is so much pressure forcing the ammo up when you load with 7 rounds. That force drags out the 2 nd round too far and it nosedives. Try loading only 6 rounds (or 5) and see if it corrects itself. Otherwise, eventually the spring will lose some tension through use and correct itself. But why wait if you can correct it now by only loading 5 or 6 until it breaks in? If you are using the 6 round mag, load only 5 in it and try shooting to see if the nosedives stop.

jeffe007
11-11-2011, 08:39 PM
its not Kahr's fault per se, but they SHOULD get a new manufacturer for sure!!! I say, "Hello Mec Gar, can you help me please?" I really do think the mags are just too intolerant of slightly out of spec ammo. i.e. diametre of the casing. i just bought some old but still new boxes of corbon 92 gr 9mm BeeSafe ammo that seems to be made in a much higher quality (should say more consistent) manner than other ammo i have. this stuff just stays put in the mag and my 7 rd mag that gives me fits doesnt even nosedive now. the rounds dont catch on each other either. so my thought is/was that they are somehow made to a slightly higher spec but i cant verify that one iota.

the weird thing that made me think of this is thaat if i were to place the mag fully loaded in my pocket for carry, by the end of several hours id have several loose rounds in my pocket along with the mag. this doesnt occur now. weird i tell ya. anyway, my vote goes to the mags being inconsistent as far as QC goes. Heck look at how many have to squeeze them in a vise just to drop free!!:eek:

Rainman48314
11-11-2011, 11:36 PM
I had the same issues and I feel that it is due to the recoil spring and the magazine springs being too tight and improper lubing. I sanded the followers, squeezed the mags and all that good stuff, but after leaving the mags loaded for a couple of weeks and the slide locked back for a few nights, the issues went away.I make it a standard practice to lock open the slide on a new gun a full 24 hrs. I also feel mags need to be loaded to their max and left in that state 48 hours. I can't remember if if this is in the two Kahr guides/stickies.

On a new gun, for the first 50 rounds, I will load the mags to 1 less than capacity and use them that way at the range. Thereafter, I load mags nearly full, chamber a round with the near full mag, then top it off. That's what I do to carry so I want to see if I'll have issues while I am safely at the range.

Rainman48314
11-11-2011, 11:43 PM
I understand your feelings. I am still on the fence about my cm9. It too went back to Kahr and was replaced. Have not tested the new one yet but, its sits in my safe as i continue to carry my Smith and Wesson M&P 9c that has 700+ flawless rounds down the pipe. Not sure what i will do with mine yet.I have a full size M&P 9. It's a great gun. 100% out of the box. I'm adding an Apex Duty/Carry kit and a
DPM Systems Advanced Recoil Reduction System. Trijicon HD Sights have been on order since Sept 20th. It should be a different but better gun once these upgrades are in place.