PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one

golfer
11-15-2011, 12:27 PM
I carry my PM9, 9mm in a pocket holster and two mags in my rear pocket in a mag holder.
I have a problem with the top round of the mags working out of the mag sometimes completely but most of the time partially. Sometimes one or two rounds will work comletely out of the magazine. I do not have this problem when I carry two mags of 45 for my 1911.
I have looked for a remedy to no avail so turn to you good folks to see if anyone elxe has had this experience.
Thanks for looking and beset wishes.

Bill K
11-15-2011, 12:39 PM
I carry my spare mag in a Kydex holder that was "molded" to a full mag such that rounds can not work their way out. Downside is that unless a use a "draw cord" with the holder a reload can not be done very quickly.

Are the mags top down in your holder? Of what material is your holder made? Can it be pinned or stitched so that it shapes around the mags? Pictures might help a little to fully grasp what you're facing.

mser
11-15-2011, 12:39 PM
Same experience. Also looking for a remedy.

MO_Soldier
11-15-2011, 12:51 PM
I'm also having the same issues, only I have a loose mag in my pocket(either front or back depending on the pants). I don't use a mag holder so I kind of just deal with it as unavoidable without one.

I for one though, can't find myself completely happy with my magazines. They just seem feeble, the rounds pop out and nose dive easily, and the 7rd is just ugly and doesn't even fit my hand as an extension.
Why don't the designers over at Kahr fix these issues?!? :'(

Bawanna
11-15-2011, 01:06 PM
Some one here, Old Lincoln? maybe. Tweaked the feed lips just a tad and the issue went away. Others with mag drop issues gently squeezed the top of the mag a bit which would also help I'm thinking.

If I recall he just gently took a pair of pliers and bent the feed lips in just a bit.

OldLincoln
11-15-2011, 01:41 PM
Yup, Bawanna nailed it, as usual. If you look at the lips of a full mag and they don't fit parallel and close to the case they wiggle a lot. In your pocket they wiggle their way out of the mag. Doing mine, they fed better also. Bent them with pliers, remember they were tough critters and wanted to spring back some so you have to play with them to get it right.

Also, the squeeze them in the vice might be easier and go a ways to fixing it. It just never occurred to me to try that.

MO_Soldier
11-15-2011, 01:53 PM
Thank you OldLincoln and Bawanna! I will see about trying that. I also want to file my mag follower to help prevent any nosedives. I'm just hesitant to alter any part of my SD gun...

Bawanna
11-15-2011, 02:03 PM
http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=6943&highlight=mag+follower&page=2

Take a gander at this thread once again posted by Greg. The meat and potatoes starts at about post 12 on the second page.

JFootin
11-15-2011, 03:27 PM
I use the Galco P.M.C. (http://www.artilleryshed.com/pocket-magazine-carrier-9mm35740-single-column-p-46154.html) The 6 round mag fits a little too deep in it so I stuffed a tissue down in there. Now, it sits up high enough to grasp easily. And all of the bullets stay put.

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee486/John_England/Miscellanious%20Guns%20and%20Holsters/GAL_PMC24.jpg

golfer
11-16-2011, 09:54 AM
This is some really great info. I'm going to try the modification on my mags.
Just a thought, but the best method to keeping the bullt in the mag while in the rear pocket might be the pouch. I liket to carry two mags for my PM9. The fit my rear pocket well like a billfold. I can envision a two mag leather pouch with the bottom ends formed to the angle of the bullet as it sets in the mag. This would keep the mag and bullet from squirming around and keep it in place.
How about it you holster guys, is it possible?
Thanks for your help and best wishes.

OldLincoln
11-16-2011, 10:10 AM
I wear a levi type pant that has a pair of front pockets under the normal ones. They are deep enough to hold mags upright which of course want to fall over and lay flat. However, my wife sewed a vertical seam separating the pocket into 2 smaller ones and each holds a mag vertical with enough room to give a bit when sitting.

Also discovered before I modded my mags that it helps to face the bullet toward the inside of the leg. There's less movement there and they stayed in place better than the opposite.

DubDubU
11-16-2011, 10:58 AM
Got a bit too creative but this is what I use. Made it with some stuff I got from Tandy Leather.

golfer
11-16-2011, 11:00 AM
Lincoln; great idea, may have to look for those. I wear several different kinds of pants, depending on what I am doing so it probably doesn't work for me. Seems my front pockets are always full, one side with and handgun, the other with keys and other stuff.
So far, the mags have to go in the back pocket, which is probably the worst for squirming around.
Thanks for sharing your idea, I really like it.
Best to you.

golfer
11-16-2011, 11:02 AM
Warrior, good job. NOt sure what cal. you Kahr is, but it looks larger than my 9mm. Have you had any trouble with the bullet moving out of the mag when you sit on them?

MO_Soldier
11-16-2011, 11:10 AM
Seems my front pockets are always full, one side with and handgun, the other with keys and other stuff.
So far, the mags have to go in the back pocket, which is probably the worst for squirming around.

I have the same issue of full pockets and also put my mag in my back pocket.
Taking from Lincoln's idea, sew a stitch vertical in your back pocket so that the new section of pocket made in just wide enough for your magazine. I think I'm going to try this technique!

MikeG
11-16-2011, 01:01 PM
Anyone with a needle and thread, an old mouse pad, and five minutes can make a custom mag holder or three. Sticky side out and they stay where you put 'em, even iwb with no clips, all day long.

rjt123
11-16-2011, 02:14 PM
I use the Galco P.M.C. (http://www.artilleryshed.com/pocket-magazine-carrier-9mm35740-single-column-p-46154.html) The 6 round mag fits a little too deep in it so I stuffed a tissue down in there. Now, it sits up high enough to grasp easily. And all of the bullets stay put.

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee486/John_England/Miscellanious%20Guns%20and%20Holsters/GAL_PMC24.jpg

That thar's a super idea, JFootin! It's amazing how many blindingly simple solutions I fail to see. :D Thanks for the tip!

Rainman48314
11-16-2011, 03:41 PM
Got a bit too creative but this is what I use. Made it with some stuff I got from Tandy Leather.
4680The most simple solutions are the most eloquent ones. Well done.

Rainman48314
11-16-2011, 03:45 PM
I carry my PM9, 9mm in a pocket holster and two mags in my rear pocket in a mag holder.
I have a problem with the top round of the mags working out of the mag sometimes completely but most of the time partially. Sometimes one or two rounds will work comletely out of the magazine. I do not have this problem when I carry two mags of 45 for my 1911.
I have looked for a remedy to no avail so turn to you good folks to see if anyone elxe has had this experience.
Thanks for looking and beset wishes.I'm beginning to see the wisdom of a New York reload. My primary is 7+1 of .45Auto, my BUG is 7+1 of .380. Gold Dots in both.

DubDubU
11-16-2011, 05:42 PM
Rainman, Thanks, I'm a believer in the KISS principle.

Golfer, Thanks, that is a cw9 and the pouch has a divider in the middle so nothing moves around.

WW

BEARDOG
11-16-2011, 06:38 PM
This is some really great info. I'm going to try the modification on my mags.
Just a thought, but the best method to keeping the bullt in the mag while in the rear pocket might be the pouch. I liket to carry two mags for my PM9. The fit my rear pocket well like a billfold. I can envision a two mag leather pouch with the bottom ends formed to the angle of the bullet as it sets in the mag. This would keep the mag and bullet from squirming around and keep it in place.
How about it you holster guys, is it possible?
Thanks for your help and best wishes.

Yes ;) My mag wallets.
http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae70/BeardogV1/magwallets.jpg

kahrlover123
11-17-2011, 07:36 AM
Why do U guys need that many mags to carry?
It seems like you guys ready to go to war :D.
I only carry one extra mag and I think it's more than enough.

golfer
11-17-2011, 07:51 AM
Beardog; those look great and they appear to support the bullet itself which may help keep it in the mag. Has that been your experience?
Do you make these for sale or are they something you did for your self?
kahrlover; we each have to decide for ourseoves how much ammo is necessary. As for myself, I think you are 1 mag short. One thing I know for sure, when a problem comes down, you can't have too much ammo.
I like two mags because they fit well in my pocket and I like the reassurance of a 2nd reload if necessary. A single mag tends to move around and get in the wrong position to draw from.

kahrlover123
11-17-2011, 08:34 AM
golfer, I see your point but again I carry my PM9 for strictly SD. With 15 ammo, I can stop 2 guys without problem. If I'm prepared to go to war (against 3+), it's a different story :D

MO_Soldier
11-17-2011, 09:19 AM
Yes ;) My mag wallets.
http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae70/BeardogV1/magwallets.jpg

I'll buy a 2 mag pouch from you!
I would LOVE one of those for my back pocket as long as the holders retain and the mags pull easily. That looks to be the only issues I could predict with these.

BEARDOG
11-17-2011, 10:33 AM
Beardog; those look great and they appear to support the bullet itself which may help keep it in the mag. Has that been your experience?
Do you make these for sale or are they something you did for your self?
kahrlover; we each have to decide for ourseoves how much ammo is necessary. As for myself, I think you are 1 mag short. One thing I know for sure, when a problem comes down, you can't have too much ammo.
I like two mags because they fit well in my pocket and I like the reassurance of a 2nd reload if necessary. A single mag tends to move around and get in the wrong position to draw from.

I'll buy a 2 mag pouch from you!
I would LOVE one of those for my back pocket as long as the holders retain and the mags pull easily. That looks to be the only issues I could predict with these.

Yes, I will make Kahr 9mm mag holders for sale.

Yes kahr mags tend to loose rounds if carried unprotected in a pocket. That's why I make mag holders that will keep the top round in place as the molding is done with a real, loaded Kahr 9mm mag and the fit is very close. The retention is made to hold it's position and to allow an easy draw.(the 2 mag one in the pic is actually adjustable by the screw in the center)
When I get my next order of leather, I will be making some rough side out horsehide pocket mag holders that should give even better grip in the pocket. I will post pics when I get one made. Should be soon.

PM me if you are interested and let me know exactly what you want.
Thank's

golfer
11-17-2011, 11:18 AM
kahrlover; just as one more point of duscussion and I will get off of this, because IMO neither of us are wrong.
I live in Wichita, Ks. where gangs tend to be a bad influence. I am aware that many confrontations with PD and officials as well as civialians are with 2 or more memebers. It would really bother me to stop a confrontation and be waiting for police with an unloaded pistol.
Best to you.