PDA

View Full Version : Is the PM40 as reliable as the PM9

Duncanp9
11-16-2011, 06:46 PM
After talking with many of you on this forum I am leaning towards getting the PM40 (just like the round) but would really like to know if the PM40 is as
reliable as the PM9 and all the other Kahr pistols. Thanks so much.

popgoestheweasel
11-16-2011, 08:11 PM
Depends on whom you ask. I have seen reports here from people who say their PM40 will eat anything. Mine are more picky. Both of my PM40's work great with 135 grain Winchester Ranger JHP, but not reliably with heavier 155 & 180 grain versions of Ranger ammo.

Actually, one of mine will only reliably feed 135 grain. The second gun finally works well with 155 grain Rangers. Neither will run reliably with 180 grain rangers, even after applying all of the reliability techniques presented here on the forum.

I am certain there must be other JHP ammo that will work, but due to a limited budget, I have not tried very many. I lucked into the 135 grain ammo early on at a price not much higher than most FMJ ammo, so I practice with what I carry.

Other than being picky about ammo, both of my guns have been great. I have an all black DLC pistol and a plain stainless version. If I had it to do over again, they would both be plain stainless, but some people prefer black, so Kahr has something for everyone.

Both the PM40 and PM9 are nearly identical in overall size. Based on the praise heaped on the PM9, and its less expensive CM9 sibling, here on this forum, I suspect that 9mm is the sweet spot for the Kahr design.

Why would you opt for the 'plain stainless version' over the all black???

O'Dell
11-16-2011, 09:48 PM
I like stainless guns, especially those with the resistance to dings and scratches shown by my stainless PM40. The black DLC coating on my second PM40 is holding up pretty well with only a few dings so far, but it is still just a coating. When it gets nicked the stainless underneath shines through brightly. Initially, the black gun had a lot more texture than the stainless gun, but that is less noticeable after a few months of light use. I mostly carry my stainless version and it still looks like new. YMMV

I also like SS guns - ideally SS slide and an alloy frame. Only four of my fourteen pistols are black; three, an M&P and two HK's because they only come that way, and one, the LCP because it was a gift.

Popeye
11-17-2011, 05:27 AM
Do not see why the 40 caliber round would not be as reliable as the 9mm round. Having said that I personally think the PM series pistols design and size works very well with the 9mm round. There's a lot of different designed rounds and weights out there for the 9mm to choose from.

kahrlover123
11-17-2011, 07:28 AM
U can't beat the PM9. I shot both and decided to keep PM9. I don't regret one bit.

donnyboy108
11-17-2011, 12:08 PM
My PM40 has been flawless with over 1000 rounds so far. Shoots any type and weight bullet out there.

donnyboy108
11-17-2011, 12:21 PM
Including Winchester Ranger 155 & 180 grain JHP?

If so, I am envious. :o
I have put Winchester Ranger 155/165/and 180 through her with no problems whatsoever. I also have put about 700+ rounds of WWB 180 grain without a hiccup. It has been very good so far. :)

Bawanna
11-17-2011, 12:23 PM
Including Winchester Ranger 155 & 180 grain JHP?

If so, I am envious. :o

Have you talked with Kahr about yours at all Tucson. Maybe it's got a short chamber or something.

It really should eat anything you feed it. I run the 165's in my K40 but it's taken 180's and anything else I wanted to shoot with zero issue.

You got two, get hold of em and send one back to see what's what.

getsome
11-17-2011, 02:30 PM
So far my PM40 has shot anything put through it and I carry Winchester Ranger 135 gn...My previous CW40 also shot everything without a hickup....

I did learn a lesson at our last range session...Don't stand behind anyone shooting a PM40 as they don't just eject empty brass, they PROJECTILE eject straight back about 20 feet and I got beamed in the forehead while my son shot mine and I was 10 feet behind him and it left a pretty good welt...That little gun will get meat on both ends!!!...:eek:

Bawanna
11-17-2011, 02:44 PM
Did you cry? Tell me you didn't cry. I probably would have cried. Use a good cover, Hoppes in the eye, burnt powder. Just ate an onion. Think fast.

Up at the dept range I took a hot 223 case down the neck, even with a T shirt, it got down the front. I ripped fast as I could but it burned me bad. I cried.

getsome
11-17-2011, 03:04 PM
No Bawann I didn't cry but I did tear up a little and had to explain to my coworkers on Monday where the red dot on my forehead came from and that I had not decided to become a Hindu Indian woman...My son the little toad thought it was hilarious though....

Bawanna
11-17-2011, 03:09 PM
No Bawann I didn't cry but I did tear up a little and had to explain to my coworkers on monday where the red dot on my forehead came from and that I had not decided to become a Hindu Indian woman...My son the little toad thought it was hilarious though....

I'd take the little toad out to the wood shed for a chat. That's the same little toad that shoots tiny little groups and makes you look like a loafer right.
I'd make him cut his own switch. Your still big enough ain't, specially on a good day after your nap?
I can still take my youngest but it's mariginal and he's wirey. The oldest has got some serious weight, reach and energy advantages. I'd still try but the outcome could be less than I'd hope for. He out shoots me regularly and laughs at my old people infirmities as well, the little toad.

getsome
11-17-2011, 03:36 PM
Yep, thats the one and he lets me know how much better he shoots than me but I still think I could take him on a good day, (well maybe a real good day) He's a little bigger than me but I keep telling him I'm a whole lot meaner and don't fight fair and so far it's working I think...Now my older 23 year old son is 6' 5" and weighs 230 lbs and I am 5" 11" and 170 so I don't mess with "Tree" much but as he gets older I have noticed just how much he resembles our old UPS delivery man...Hmmmm...:crazy:

Bawanna
11-17-2011, 03:41 PM
6' 5, 230, I'd have to add him to my do not mess with list.

UPS man huh, that could be an issue.