PDA

View Full Version : Kahr wood grips didn't fit MK9

QuercusMax
11-17-2011, 06:20 PM
Just received a set of Kahr wood grips (http://www.kahr.com/Grips/Kahr-Wood-Grips-Checkered-MK-Series.asp) for my MK9 Elite. They sure look nice. They would look even nicer if they fit.

The product description on the Kahr web site says "Some fitting may be required. Will not fit MK models with GAXXXX prefix."

My MK9 is a GC serial, so that's OK, but obviously "some fitting" is required. The problem is because the metal tab that holds the bottom grip screw on each side extends upwards towards the top of the gun farther than the corresponding hollowed-out part on the grips (both sides). Probably best explained by a picture - sorry.

Just seems strange that Kahr would sell grips that don't immediately fit. I have purchased wood grips for several other of my guns and they all fit perfectly.

So looks like some Dremel adjustments are necessary. I'll try to remember to post some pics once that is done - eventually.

Other weird thing: I also ordered some "MK" grip screws from Kahr at the same time, to replace one that I lost (as I reported in a different thread a few months ago). Apparently there are short grip screws, and also long grip screws. If you use the long ones with the original rubber grips, you can't insert the magazine. Probably the price to be paid for a gun with such a slender grip.

Given that I also had to spend some $$$ and time adjusting the front sight on my MK9, I feel like my Kahr has forced me to become a small-time gunsmith.

MLESa7990
11-17-2011, 06:29 PM
I've heard the longer screws are actually K series grip screws and are required to fit the thicker wood grips onto the MK. They aren't meant to be used with the factory grips.

kb2wji
11-17-2011, 06:38 PM
I was under the impression that the wood grips for the MK's did not work on the Elite at all. I thought you could only use them on the decaf model.

gb6491
11-17-2011, 06:57 PM
...Just seems strange that Kahr would sell grips that don't immediately fit. I have purchased wood grips for several other of my guns and they all fit perfectly...
I think you are a lucky son of a gun. I shudder when thinking of the many factory/aftermarket grips and screws that I've had to tweak to get the best/functional fit over the years.
Here's just one example: I had to bed some factory grips so they wouldn't move around (I believe I had to trim the screw on these as well):
http://i40.tinypic.com/124fy1h.jpg
I'm looking forward to seeing the results of your work.
Regards,
Greg

QuercusMax
11-17-2011, 07:12 PM
I was under the impression that the wood grips for the MK's did not work on the Elite at all. I thought you could only use them on the decaf model.

So maybe that is the problem. I didn't realize the Elite differed in that regard.

But if so, it would have been nice if Kahr would have said so. Things like that are the difference between companies that are good ... and ones that are great.

Bawanna
11-17-2011, 07:19 PM
I've been told just the opposite, that the Elite didn't make any difference at all in the grip. I know there is the GA series and the GC series but there are apparently some small frame changes mixed in as well. I've made and sent grips from my GA to others with GA's and they didn't fit, couple modified them to work, guess it didn't take much, others sent them back.
In fact I sent a set off my K40 to Greg for his K9 which I thought were the same and they didn't fit either.
One reason we don't see alot of Kahr grips in the emporium which is kind of sad. If I ever figure it all out, I'll make up for it.

QuercusMax
11-17-2011, 07:19 PM
I think you are a lucky son of a gun. I shudder when thinking of the many factory/aftermarket grips and screws that I've had to tweak to get the best/functional fit over the years.

I'm looking forward to seeing the results of your work.
Regards,
Greg

Because I have not been messing around with this stuff for a long time like you have, I naively expected things like this to work the first time. I appreciate your perspective.

Whether they are practical or not, I seem to be a sucker for the "wood grip" look on most of my guns, and the grips I just got from Kahr sure dressed up the MK9, so I'm looking forward to getting them fitted. I'm not very good with photos but will do some when the job is done.

Bawanna
11-17-2011, 07:23 PM
Because I have not been messing around with this stuff for a long time like you have, I naively expected things like this to work the first time. I appreciate your perspective.

Whether they are practical or not, I seem to be a sucker for the "wood grip" look on most of my guns, and the grips I just got from Kahr sure dressed up the MK9, so I'm looking forward to getting them fitted. I'm not very good with photos but will do some when the job is done.

If you can somehow mark on the grips where they need material removed I'd be happy to do that for you. I have a dremel mounted on a drill stand with various small router type bits and cutters. Would be an easy task if you don't have the tools or desire.
(NO Charge of course). I might actually learn by seeing the difference too.
Your call.

QuercusMax
11-18-2011, 06:12 AM
If you can somehow mark on the grips where they need material removed I'd be happy to do that for you. I have a dremel mounted on a drill stand with various small router type bits and cutters. Would be an easy task if you don't have the tools or desire.
(NO Charge of course). I might actually learn by seeing the difference too.
Your call.

A very kind and tempting offer! I don't have the equipment currently (although always looking for a good excuse to buy a new piece of equipment), nor do I have your expertise, so this might be just the ticket.

I'll try to post a few pics this weekend so you can see the problem, and we'll take it from there.

gb6491
11-18-2011, 08:28 AM

I like wood my myself, but I need to take extra precaution with it out here in the desert. I had an interesting set of dyed, spalted maple 1911 grips that were a perfect fit on one of my 1911's. I removed them for something else and put them with my spare parts; some time later, I went to reinstall them and found they had shrunk enough that they wouldn't go back on the gun. I checked the rest of my spare 1911 panels and found another set had done the same thing. Lesson learned the hard way.
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-chores017.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

I have a very good friends that live up your way. They're just outside Soda Springs; beautiful country.

Regards,
Greg

QuercusMax
11-18-2011, 12:50 PM
I'll try to post a few pics this weekend so you can see the problem, and we'll take it from there.

I'm loafing this afternoon, so my lame attempts at photography are attached below. In the top one, one grip is in place but you can see how the inside of the grip is not shaped properly to accommodate the height of the metal tab that holds the lower grip screw,

In the bottom one, I have offset the grip to the left of the frame so you can better see the mismatch of shapes.

These grips look sooooo nice on the MK9. I can hardly wait until my gun looks like the one linked in OldLincoln's post in the IWB holster recommendation thread (http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=9484) here (click on slideshow link):

See this slideshow (http://s762.photobucket.com/albums/xx269/OldLincoln/Holsters/?albumview=slideshow) which shows a little larger gun than yours, then you can visit the website (http://garrettindustries.mybigcommerce.com/products/Silent-Thunder-IWB.html) to see the order info.

Bawanna
11-18-2011, 01:08 PM
I'd just take a sharp pencil and draw a line around that metal frame flange. Then with a sharp exacto knife or a dremel tool you can remove the offending wood.

Option two is draw that line or scribe it with a blade or something sharp so I can see it and send it to me and I'll do it.

Send me a PM if you need my address.

Barth
11-18-2011, 06:01 PM
Just received a set of Kahr wood grips (http://www.kahr.com/Grips/Kahr-Wood-Grips-Checkered-MK-Series.asp) for my MK9 Elite. They sure look nice. They would look even nicer if they fit.

The product description on the Kahr web site says "Some fitting may be required. Will not fit MK models with GAXXXX prefix."

My MK9 is a GC serial, so that's OK, but obviously "some fitting" is required. The problem is because the metal tab that holds the bottom grip screw on each side extends upwards towards the top of the gun farther than the corresponding hollowed-out part on the grips (both sides). Probably best explained by a picture - sorry.

Just seems strange that Kahr would sell grips that don't immediately fit. I have purchased wood grips for several other of my guns and they all fit perfectly.

So looks like some Dremel adjustments are necessary. I'll try to remember to post some pics once that is done - eventually.

Other weird thing: I also ordered some "MK" grip screws from Kahr at the same time, to replace one that I lost (as I reported in a different thread a few months ago). Apparently there are short grip screws, and also long grip screws. If you use the long ones with the original rubber grips, you can't insert the magazine. Probably the price to be paid for a gun with such a slender grip.

Given that I also had to spend some $$$ and time adjusting the front sight on my MK9, I feel like my Kahr has forced me to become a small-time gunsmith.

I bought a set of checkered and smooth grips for my MK40 Elite with NS from Kahr.
They came with screws too (different lengths that my factory grips).
The grips didn't fit.

Even with the factory grips and screws, the upper screws and lower screws are different lengths.
And inter-fear with the mag if you put them in wrong.

I really like the deck of cards thickness of the Kahr with the factory grips anyway (for concealment).
So I've decided to stick with the gun all factory.
Break in took more like 400 than 200 rounds.
But now it's smooth as glass, totally reliable and crazy accurate for such a small gun.

My little stainless beauty is a keeper
I'm a fool for stainless guns

QuercusMax
11-19-2011, 09:53 AM
I bought a set of checkered and smooth grips for my MK40 Elite with NS from Kahr.
They came with screws too (different lengths that my factory grips).
The grips didn't fit.

Even with the factory grips and screws, the upper screws and lower screws are different lengths.
And inter-fear with the mag if you put them in wrong.

That was exactly my experience with the grips I just got. So now I have a bunch of Kahr screws of different lengths, since I ordered a few replacements along with the wood grips.

Makes me wonder if the people who work at Kahr are gun enthusiasts or just employees - I don't have enough data to know.

My little stainless beauty is a keeper
I'm a fool for stainless guns

Totally agree. I don't own any plastic guns - call me old-fashioned. But apparently I'm equally a sucker for wood grips, which either came on my guns or I installed them later. I guess that my favorite guns are ones that shoot well - and look good.

Bawanna
11-19-2011, 10:10 AM
If you got short screws and long screws and want to send them I'll make the grips fit and if possible make them so one length of screw fits all the holes. If they fit my gun it won't be difficult, if they don't it will be slightly more difficult but doable.

Those screws are the same thread as a 1911 so if you have any of those they won't go to waste.