PDA

View Full Version : Supertuck vs. Split Decision

burns
01-15-2010, 06:28 PM
Hi guys,

Just got a PM9 (my first Kahr) and I'm looking for a holster. I want an IWB that will work well either with the shirt tucked OR untucked. I'll buy an OWB down the road.

I'm looking at the Crossbreed Mini Tuck (which I liked the best of the the 2-clip tuckables) and the High Noon Split Decision.

Here's the Crossbreed:
MiniTuck (http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/IWB/tabid/56/CategoryID/1/List/0/Level/1/ProductID/6/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName%2cProductName)

Here's the High Noon:
Split Decision (http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Product_Line/Split_Decision/split_decision.html)

I have a skinny frame, if that influences which be more comfortable.

What is the advantage of the 2 clip over the 1 clip? The Split Decision is super thin and soft leather, like the Mr. Softy holster, which sounds nice. I'm mainly looking at the 2 clip options based on comments on forums. Why do some of you folks like 2 clips better?

The High Noon is much cheaper, but I want to get the better holster regardless of price. If you could still get a Kholster for $35, or whatever it was, I would be looking at those too.

I look forward to your input.

Burns

wagon
01-15-2010, 07:18 PM
I'm a leather person and a minimalist, sweatguard is a must. So my shopping criterior may not be same as yours.. but here goes...

For Un-tuckable ... Mitch Rosen Clipped $65 (KarhShop has them, in stock too). Had one, sold it just because I wanted tuckable. If one day I don't need to tuck, I will not think twice and buy again.

Tuckable: I went with HBE Pro-TL. 2~3 weeks leadtime, just got mine last week, impressive quality!!! First class craftmanship, very comfortable to me. Thin leather and off-set clip makng it low profile. I can even clip it on the pants (behind the belt instead of over the belt) and draw the gun without problem. I ordered a 10deg cant, I can and have carried it between 2 o'clock thru 4 o'clock comfortably. Here's some pix for you: http://kahrtalk.com/holsters-gear/881-hbe-holster-pro-tl-my-pm9-lots-pix.html

For OWB.. I have an Alessi belt-slide, bought from KahrShop, 1st class craftmanship, top quality, thin, light, tuck in good, no printing.. $85 is a bargain.

According to user feedback, Crossbreed is supposedly VERY comfy but I never had experienced one.

Good luck in finding a keeper... I'm all set :D

Dietrich
01-15-2010, 07:38 PM
I own 4 Crossbreed holsters.3 of the supertucks and 1 of the minitucks for my PM9.I have owned 2 single clip holsters and they didn`t allow as smooth a draw as the 2 clip Crossbreeds do.Others might have wonderful experiences with a single clip but I am a Crossbreed fan.This is strictly my own personal opinion and in no way is meant to denegrate the opinions and preferences of others.You shouldn`t put any faith in what I say anyway.When I was a kid,I had seen so much footage of WWII that I thought Europe was in black and white. :confused:

xzhync
01-15-2010, 07:39 PM
I have a mini-tuck for my PM9. I just got it recently. I also have a Comp-tac holster for a Springfield XD. I believe the advantage of 2 clips is better stability and a slightly thinner profile. I have a single clip holster (shark-tac.com) for my LCP. It is kydex, but with the clip right on the hoster it pushes my pants out just a little more. The disadvantage of 2 clips are that you have to secure 2 clips so it is a little slower in the installation. Also, 2 clips are more for someone to notice. I have the v-clips for my mini-tuck so they are pretty well hidden which reduces my concern for having 2 clips. As I see it, one of the big advantages of the mini-tuck over the High Noon is the option of v-clip which secures behind the belt. I know you mentioned that you can place the clip behind the belt, but it is only resting on the rim of your pants for support. I like having the velcro hooked to the backside of the belt. The holster stays perfectly in place when drawing. Anyway, best of luck on your decision.

Arizona T
01-15-2010, 09:09 PM
Comp-Tac MTAC

Try it they have a no BS 30 tryout , great leather work , modular oh did I mention leather work???? It takes more than a few minutes to make these I'm sure.

burns
01-16-2010, 05:53 PM
Tuckable: I went with HBE Pro-TL. 2~3 weeks leadtime, just got mine last week, impressive quality!!! First class craftmanship, very comfortable to me. Thin leather and off-set clip makng it low profile. I can even clip it on the pants (behind the belt instead of over the belt) and draw the gun without problem. I ordered a 10deg cant, I can and have carried it between 2 o'clock thru 4 o'clock comfortably. Here's some pix for you: http://kahrtalk.com/holsters-gear/881-hbe-holster-pro-tl-my-pm9-lots-pix.html

Good luck in finding a keeper... I'm all set :D

That looks like a great holster.

Does that HBE ride pretty stable? I always figured the "clip on the side" design wouldn't be as stable as a regular clip design. What is your experience? Also, why would you only use this one when you are tucking your shirt in, does it work just as well with a shirt untucked?

Regards,

Burns

wagon
01-16-2010, 07:04 PM
On stability, I can say that it is no more "unstable" as other single clip IWB (Mitch Rosen IWB) I have used ... I also have an "economic" UncleMike IWB which cannot compare with these leather rigs anyway. Unlike double-clip, all single-clip will move a little movement, which to me is a good thing, that little movement gives me the slightly adjustment to accommodate my carrying position between 2 o'clock thru 4 o'clock.

Your concern on off-set clip is valid.. I've learned that this design is geared towards smaller and lighter guns like PM9, keltec, and the like.

All "tuckable" holsters should function same as non-tuckable, they just provide the option to tuck-in the shirt when the occasion requires.

Let's be clear, me no holster expert and I have not experienced every holsters in the market, the above is only my very limited experience on the limited holsters that I have used. There are many more high quality holster makers out there.. what works for me may not work for you...

if you're interested, you may like to go thru this 17 pages "IWB holsters" thread... it may either further complicate your shopping, or can helps you to make up your mind. The offical IWB holster pic thread - 1911Forum (http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=196181)