PDA

View Full Version : New Guy and new K40 Covert

Shark1007
11-19-2011, 08:12 PM
Hello there, I'm new guy from Orlando, enjoy the site very much.

I have a CM9 which I love, a CW45 I'm not sure about yet and just bought a 2000 vintage K40 Covert, polished. I can handle the recoil, no prob. it will take a bit to learn the gun I suspect. The 9 is a tack driver.

I have had a few jams with practice ammo and jhp every failure is the same. The round just stops at bottom of ramp, I highly suspect recoil spring and ordered the Wolf +10%. Any other tips or tricks I should know? Should I change all magazine springs so I know what I have, and if so, go the +10% or not.

Thank you in advance for the advice. I plan on using DPX Corbon, 165 grain Ranger T and 180 grain Ranger T, any other suggestions?

Shark1007
11-27-2011, 09:35 PM
Well, got the wolf spring in and I may have been mistaken by believing it was a nosedive. It appears the slide is locking back way early with several different magazines. I shot a mag or two wheer I had to manually release the slide each shot.

What gives... help!?

and yes, my hand is sore.

Bawanna
11-27-2011, 10:05 PM
Pop the slide off and load a full magazine. Now you should be able to see if the nose of the bullet is contacting the slide release. You can either carefully remove a little to create clearance or order a new one. Some bullet shapes or rounds seated long will activate the slide lock. Theres a thread in the tech section that show pics of this. I think its CW fixes and other polymer or something like that.

Shark1007
11-30-2011, 06:56 PM
Shipped it back to Kahr with new CW45 I've been having troubles with. I'd like to carry the .40, it fits the same IWB holster as the CM9, but I'd rather the factory gunsmith give his stamp of approval. It is an accurate little rascal, I'll give it that.

Shark1007
12-05-2011, 05:51 PM
Jason, gunsmith at Kahr is a stand up guy, he addressed the Covert's issues no charge. Thank you Jason!

Edit: Range today, everything 100%, hand's a little sore, but all is well!

eltee
01-26-2012, 07:45 PM
What was the issue with the K40 Covert? I have one also that I bought used. It has run ok for me except for when I kinked the recoil spring once during disassembly. It is a pretty amazing firearm, very concealable with a good holster and very powerful, with little recoil.

Shark1007
02-03-2012, 10:08 AM
" Inspected, replaced slide stop and pin, polished slide stop. Lubed and test fired, O.K."

With that wolf plus recoil spring, you need a grip like a stone crab to rack the slide, but it runs perfectly.