PDA

View Full Version : TP45 for ccw

JEEPX
11-22-2011, 06:23 AM
I am thinking about getting a TP45. I currently own a K9 Black, a CW9, and a CM9. All have been 100% reliable with JHP and FMJ. They are fun to shoot, and very easy to carry.
I bought the K9 for my wife but she chose the CW9.
Before jumping in, I was wanting to ask owners of the TP45 about it.

How does it handle? Is it on the big side for concealed carry? Would a P45 or even a CW45 be better? What is your experience on its reliability?

Sorry for what may seem like silly questions, I just want the opinions of actual owers before spending money.

Thanks

jocko
11-22-2011, 06:42 AM
good questions and u know we don't heasr to much about the tp45. More than likely would also be a very hard gun to find in a dealer shelf even. Certainly not a polular gun but that being said it should be one hell of a shooter and if ur gonna waist band carry which I am sure u are, it would do perfect, weight over the P45 would not be worth talkiig about.
Just gonna be hard to hear fromn an actual tp45 owner, so ur gonna get preference from owners of cw and P 45 and PM 45 . The TP 45 IMO just has to be a real nice shooter.. just not popular .

JEEPX
11-22-2011, 07:30 AM
Thanks for the reply. I am running into the same thing. I cannot find anyone with a TP45.

Yes, I would carry it IWB.

ripley16
11-22-2011, 08:07 AM
The TP45 has a long grip making it more challenging to hide than other Kahrs. The slide isn't the hard part to conceal IMHO, but rather the grip base. I didn't find shooting the P45 or TP45 that much different, as both offer a full, firm grip and weight difference isn't worth noting. Of course the longer sight radius and barrel make the TP model that much more conducive to better accuracy and velocity.

I bought a TP45 with the thought in the back of my mind to turn it into a "Covert TP45" by cutting the grip down to a 6 round P45 size. That would make the gun a bit easier to conceal yet retain the longer barrel and the benefits thereof. I never went ahead with the project though as I ended up deciding to keep my current CCW.

I bought my TP45 from Bud's.

JEEPX
11-22-2011, 08:32 AM
Hello,

The gunshop in. 45acp only had TP45's and PM45's. For what I want to use it for (range, ccw) that I might be better served with a shorter P9.
I would still have a full grip, but a shorter one to aid in carrying.

LDM
11-22-2011, 08:33 AM
I just got a TP45 not long ago and have been using it for CCW. I can already tell it will be a primary carry for me, supplementing my PM9.
I like it a lot and think it is a sleeper overlooked by folks.
For all intent and purposes, it is the same size and form factor as Commander size 1911.
One of the challenges for CCW of a TP45 is holsters. I re-boned a leather M&P 45 holster I already had and this worked out well. I had a CompTac MTAC shell for a SIG 220 that I remolded using a heat gun and it has worked out well.
I looked hard at the P45, and you would not go wrong with one of those. But the TP45 will work fine for CCW.
post script- It has function perfectly since day one. It handles extremely well considering caliber and weight.

JEEPX
11-22-2011, 08:50 AM
I really do appreciate the replies/help.

My questions may seem silly to some. I just want to make the best decision before spending any money.

gb6491
11-22-2011, 09:39 AM
JEEPX,
Welcome to the forums:)
I've no personal experience to share in regards to the TP45, but I did find this older thread interesting enough to bookmark (I really liked the photos on the second page where the slide has a Melonite finish): http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=346

I do own a CW45 and it's my favorite Kahr. LDm talked about the TP45 being "For all intent and purposes, it is the same size and form factor as Commander size 1911.", the same could be said about the CW/P 45 and the Officer's/compact size 1911.
http://oi39.tinypic.com/1zgqj9j.jpg
Regards,
Greg

JEEPX
11-22-2011, 04:26 PM
gb6491, Thanks for the welcome.

I went to the gunstore after work. I just wanted to look one more time. A TP45 with night sights followed me home.

I really like it. I will actually shoot it this weekend. It also seems I have a holster that will fit. I had ordered a Crossbreed Supertuck for the K9. The CBST was on the large side for the K9 and I was debating molding it or sending it back. Just for giggles, I stuck the TP45 in it. It fits like a glove. A ready made holster.

All in all I couldn't be happier.

jocko
11-22-2011, 04:31 PM
ur gonna love that 45. do the propper pre thing, see the lube chart on kahr tech sectionb.

JEEPX
11-23-2011, 03:17 AM
Cleaned and lubed last night. Waiting on the weekend to actually shoot it. The TP45 is very easy to hide in the Supertuck. I had to adjust the ride depth and can't. Once that was done, the TP45 disappeared under a light t-shirt.

JEEPX
11-25-2011, 05:16 PM
Have been able to put exactly 150 rounds through the TP45 so far. This is 100 rounds of 230gr Federal FMJ, and 50 rounds of Winchester Ranger T 230gr +p.

The TP45 has been flawless. Shots were at 7yards, 15 yards, and 25 yards. The TP45 is as accurate as the Colt XSE Government and a 1991 Combat Commander I own.

Another thing....the TP45 has LESS recoil than the all metal K9 and my 1911's.
My right wrist has been broken twice. Once in a car wreck and once in a motorcycle crash.
I tend to feel recoil in my wrist. The 1911's, K9, and any Glock cause pain.
I experienced non of this with the TP45.

As you can tell, I am very happy.

jocko
11-25-2011, 05:25 PM
nice report...

kahrcrazy13
01-10-2012, 01:47 PM
i just picked up a tp45 and i love it! i wanted the cw45 went to 4 gun dealers by my house no one had instock! i found it online for 360.00 i was about to order to my local ffl when i said let me try two more stores went to gander moutain the sales man looked up the cw 45 and said he can order me one for 530.00 plus 70.00 transfer fee plus shipping he said u can try the shop down the road they may have for cheaper! so i went to the place no cw45 just a cw9 so i held that in my hand and it just seems to small for my big hands! so he sugest the tp45 it was 590 out the door after handling it i fell in love with it! i purchased the tp45 even tho i could of ordered a cw45 off the net for 360 it just felt way to small for me ! the over the weekend i ran 50 rounds threw it because im low on cash and i fell in love with it low recoil so acurate its just great! I'm coming from shooting a 9mm beretta 92fs which has alot more recoil and kick then my tp45! plan on putting 250 rounds threw my tp45 my next pay check to finish the break in! tp shot great no problems at all shooting cheap blazer brass ammo! i don't see how it would be to big to conceal to me the cw was just to small not knocking the cw its a great gun its just way to small for my hands ! i live in illinois and conceal carry hasnt passed yet but once it does i will be using my tp45 as my ccw ! all i need now is the rubber grip for long days at the range and plan on installing some night sights next month! tp45 is my first kahr and im in love with kahr plan on adding more to my collection in time !

JFootin
01-10-2012, 03:50 PM
You sound like a happy camper kahrcrazy13! Welcome to the forum! :) You got a fine weapon.

I have a question. You concluded that the CW45 was too small for your hands based on handling a CW9 in a LGS. Were you not aware that the CW45 is quite a bit larger in every dimension (l+w+h) than the CW9? It is just as wide and the grip is the same diameter as the TP45. The barrel and slide are a little shorter and the grip of the CW45 is one round shorter than the TP45. Even very large hands can get a full grip with all fingers on the CW45.

But I'm sure you will enjoy that TP45 and may be a little more accurate at the range with the longer barrel and sighting plane. As our very respected member, jocko, would say, shoot it like you stole it! :)