PDA

View Full Version : Cold Weather Impact on guns and ammo?

Husky44
11-23-2011, 03:18 PM
All:

Wanting to see what others KNOW on this subject:

I'm retired Army, and spent a big part of my career stationed in Alaska, so I'm not unfamiliar at all with the effects of cold weather on materials. I never had a problem with an M16 not firing in extreme cold temps, but didn't have to worry about polymer frames, etc.

I planned to go to the range after work one day, but would need to keep my guns and ammo in the car all day, meaning they would be cooled down to ambient temperature (10 above to 10 below, depending on the day). I have the option of keeping the gun in a warm place until I get to the range, but no way to do so with ammo.

Here's the questions:

Is there a risk firing ammo that's at approximately zero Fahrenheit from a gun that's at approximately 60 degrees?

Alternatively, is there a big risk of firing a polymer framed gun that's cooled to around zero F?

Thanks,
Greg

jeepster09
11-23-2011, 03:40 PM
After much government funded research......they have concluded that everything gets cold. :behindsofa:

Sorry couldn't resist :yo:

Thunder71
11-23-2011, 05:01 PM
I fire mine all winter in the great state of Minnesota.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Barth
11-23-2011, 05:58 PM
We have a cold front passing through right now.
So expecting chilly 77/56 high/low temps for Thanksgiving.
Currently 71 at 8PM Berrrrrrrrr.

I have complete confidence my Glock and ammo will perform even below 50!
http://www.stratosjets.com/featured-jet-charter/featured-private-jet/Jet-Charter-Flights---Tampa-Florida-big.jpg

Popeye
11-23-2011, 06:29 PM
+10* to -10* :eek: Husky44. If it's that cold this old guy isn't going anywhere outside much less shooting a gun. Don't have the slightest clue on this topic.

QuercusMax
11-23-2011, 07:06 PM
According to American Rifle: A Biography that I briefly reviewed in another thread (http://kahrtalk.com/showpost.php?p=110146&postcount=169), cold weather testing is what the US Army did in the 40s - 60's century every time they wanted to rule out a new rifle candidate that they didn't like.

Lots of things that work just fine under balmy conditions start malfunctioning in the cold. The Germans found this out in Russia in the 40s. Seems to affect a lot of people too. :biggrin1:

Reminds me of when I grew up in northern Minnesota. One winter morning it was 44 below as I was sitting in a classroom in junior high. A guy who had parked his car on the street overnight across from the school came out to use his car. It started up just fine because he had plugged in the block heater overnight. But as he drove off, the front wheels weren't turning at all - just sliding along on the ice. Never did see what happened when he reached the first curve in the road.

ltxi
11-23-2011, 07:17 PM
That's good!

I don't use the parking brake on my cars to this day because of frozen rear brakes after using car late going into a really cold night back in the day.

mr surveyor
11-23-2011, 07:46 PM
All:

I'm retired Army, and spent a big part of my career stationed in Alaska, so I'm not unfamiliar at all with the effects of cold weather on materials. I never had a problem with an M16 not firing in extreme cold temps, but didn't have to worry about polymer frames, etc.

I planned to go to the range after work one day, but would need to keep my guns and ammo in the car all day, meaning they would be cooled down to ambient temperature (10 above to 10 below, depending on the day). I have the option of keeping the gun in a warm place until I get to the range, but no way to do so with ammo.

Here's the questions:

Is there a risk firing ammo that's at approximately zero Fahrenheit from a gun that's at approximately 60 degrees?

Alternatively, is there a big risk of firing a polymer framed gun that's cooled to around zero F?

Thanks,
Greg

you asked some very good questions, and I do hope you find some useful answers. I too wonder about the characteristics of polymer in sub-zero conditions. All steel, I'd think that one would just use a very light oil, or light graphite lube, and all should be o.k.. As for the ammo thing, I would do some more research. I can't remember what, or where I read something about powder characteristics at extremely cold temps, but I think you might experience some inconsistencies with certain powders when used either below or above their optimal temp range.

Remember there were more than a few guys, sometime in the mid 40's, somewhere in Europe, that had to pee on their M1's just warm them enough to operate the action. If you keep your weapon dry at the sub zero temps, you probably won't have to shake your gun at your weapon.;)

That's all I can offer. If you do find some credible information on firearms operation at sub-zero, I would be interested just for the knowledge.

muggsy
11-23-2011, 08:39 PM
All:

Here's the questions:

Thanks,
Greg

Greg you won't have issues with the ammunition in sub freezing temps and I doubt that you'll have any concerns with the polymer frame. I've fired rifles with polymer stocks in sub zero weather with no problems what-so-ever. Use a light oil rather than grease to lubricate you weapon in cold weather and keep all lubricants away from the firing pin or striker.

Popeye
11-23-2011, 08:43 PM
You might want to see what the local Leo's carry and ask them this same question as I'm sure there guns and ammo go through some severe temp changes during there day. Only thing I could add is I have used some dri lubes on my pistols at times during the winter months with some good results.

Husky44
11-23-2011, 09:58 PM
Update: My range report is on another thread below about my PPS, but I did shoot today. +8 degrees. Gun was warm (kept it inside all day), ammo sat outside so it was at ambient. Everything worked fine.

Someone commented on lube--we used LSA in the Army, it was a lube made for arctic conditions. I've been using Mobil 1 on my weapons for about a year now, based on some suggestions and positive feedback on other forums (that, and there's always a case in my garage--I have many years experience running it in my engines in arctic conditions and it excels-so far it works great in the guns too).

Someone mentioned polymer stocks on rifles--I understand that those will work well, IE my M16 functioned fine down to -55 (never fired it colder than that, you just hug the bad guys to share body heat). I was more concerned that the metal mechanisms embedded in the polymer frame might change size more quickly than the polymer does, also impact on slide.

I don't think this is a big deal in the future, since the gun will most likely be concealed, so it won't get too cold. This time out, I wasn't carrying it, since it hadn't earned it's EDC stripes yet, so it would have been ambient temp if I'd left it in the car all day.

Barth: Where are you? That weather sounds appealing. Me and the Missus Husky are looking at options for relocation. WARM is a critical criterion.

JFootin
11-24-2011, 06:46 AM
Barth: Where are you? That weather sounds appealing. Me and the Missus Husky are looking at options for relocation. WARM is a critical criterion.

That looks like Miami to me. Nice in the winter, but HOT in the summer! Back in the mid-70s (my mid-20s), I took a vacation trip to Florida. Took my brother's big canary yellow Chevy Monte Carlo with black vinyl roof overlay, swivel driver's bucket seat and 454 engine. Got about 8 m.p.g. but it had air conditioning and my car didn't. Plus, gas was cheap. I stayed with some friends in a rented house in Lakeland. Must have been behind with the rent because the air conditioner was broken and I didn't see them hounding the landlord to fix it.

During my stay, I visited Disney World and Busch Gardens. Standing in lines on asphalt to enter attractions all day! :eek: Then going home to that oven of a house. It was over 100° during the day, stayed close to 100° all night with 100% humidity and no breeze. I stayed within an inch of a heat stroke the whole time I was there! :mad:

That's when I decided I wanted nothing to do with Florida during the summer! A summer visit to Phoenix, AZ in 117° heat many years earlier had me sworn off the Southwest in the summer.

The beauty about my mountain home is that the summers are very pleasant and the winters, while not balmy like Miami, are pretty mild.

Just saying, you might not like going from one extreme to the other. IMO, you'd be happier in a more moderate climate like mine.

QuercusMax
11-24-2011, 06:52 AM
I agree.

I melt in the heat, but am always happy to put on a jacket if necessary in the cool, crisp air.

Husky44
11-24-2011, 12:49 PM
I grew up in MO, did the 100 degrees with 99% humidity, working in hay fields all day. I DON'T miss it! I get my occasional reminder, as I have to spend a fair amount of time in Houston. We did Orlando in August a few years ago, and Napa Valley this August. I won't mind being hot for a while... :)

dirtengineer
11-24-2011, 12:52 PM
Husky, I still live in Alaska and served in the Army up here. The only problem I ever recall was with condensation on weapons going in and out of the warming tent. I remember a M249 SAW in my platoon had the action freeze up bad. Of course, we just warmed it up and lubed it up to solve the problem.

I never go shooting when it is really cold, but I have shot several of my firearms down to about 5 degrees. My bigger concern with my carry gun has always been how to carry and draw with big gloves and heavy clothing.

jlottmc
11-26-2011, 01:26 PM
I can't answer the ploy questions, but when I was deployed to Norway, we went out and shot some, no issues, and we used LSA as well. All of our frames and such were steel or aluminum though. The stocks were fine. FYI an M16A2 will fire below -55, you just won't enjoy it.