PDA

View Full Version : Sending new CM9 back to the factory tomorrow.

Tnhillbilly
11-29-2011, 07:28 PM
I bought the pistol new a couple of weeks ago and have put around 90 rounds thru it. The slide sticks in the rear position 2 or 3 times per magazine when firing. In order to get the slide to return to battery, you have to hit the back of the slide with your hand. The slide lock isnt holding it, it is binding somewhere. I think the barrel is binding when it tilts, may need some polishing?

I talked to a Kahr tech and he said to return it.

I cant wait to get it back.

JFootin
11-29-2011, 07:53 PM
Insist that they send you a prepaid shipping label.

bonjorno2
11-29-2011, 08:04 PM
yeah make sure they pay for fedex to pick it up and ship it straight back to you!

JFootin
11-29-2011, 08:33 PM
yeah make sure they pay for fedex to pick it up and ship it straight back to you!

That's right. with the prepaid label, FedEx will pick it up at your house.

Tnhillbilly
11-29-2011, 08:53 PM
I work near the Fedex terminal and the tech gave me the info for shipping from there. It will be prepaid by Kahr and shipped back to me at work because someone will have to sign for it. Thanks for the heads up!!

rogerthedodger
11-29-2011, 11:16 PM
I hope you followed the lube diagram and oiled the slide where the barrel contacts it. I think OldLincoln had a problem like that with his PM9 and lubing that area fixed it.

jocko
11-30-2011, 05:09 AM
course it is now going back to kiahr but I wonder if u couldhave had some out of spec rounds not fully going into the chamber and allowing full slide lock up.

did u hit on the kahr tech section and look at two good sticky's

#1 kahr lube chart

#2 propper prepping of ur kahr

90- rounds maybe is just not enogh to get through the breakin asked by kahr in their manual and maybe alittle in home tlc could save alot of down time to.

a nice polishing of the feed ramp and chamber can do wonders for proper feeding.Its ur gun and as a new poster, my feelings ar that ur in a big rush to send it back for maybe something as easy as a little polish job or good proper lubing might take care of. These guys here are full of great information.

Tnhillbilly
11-30-2011, 09:19 PM
Jocko,

I did read the manual and the stickies! I downloaded the lube chart and did the proper prepping also. I did the fluff and buff on the feed ramp and also the magazine.

The gun would never fire more than 2 rounds without the slide getting stuck.

I disassembled the pistol for the 3rd time looking for burrs or any tell tale sign of a problem and found nothing noticeable. Then I tried it again with the same results.

I dont think it was an ammo problem because the slide would stick before it ever tried to strip a round out of the magazine. When I noticed that the slide was sticking before the slide was even touching the round, that is when I called the factory. I asked the tech if he thought a new spring assembly might help, he said no, that one will have to goto our gunsmith for evaluation.

Nah, Im not in a hurry, Ive been carrying a Sig P239 for 10 years or so. Ive been reading the forums for quite a while but never joined. I will agree that these forums are full of information and very knowledgeable and helpful folks.!!! I will post when I hear from or receive the gun back from Kahr. Thanks!!!

Tnhillbilly
11-30-2011, 09:21 PM
Jocko, Just wondering? Have you really put 32,000 rounds thru your PM9?

Tnhillbilly
11-30-2011, 09:27 PM
Also, when the slide was stuck in the rear position. I tried pressing down on the barrel at the muzzle and nothing. I then pulled up on the barrel at the muzzle and the slide would pop forward. That led me to believe that the barrel is binding due to clearance.

JFootin
11-30-2011, 09:31 PM
Also, when the slide was stuck in the rear position. I tried pressing down on the barrel at the muzzle and nothing. I then pulled up on the barrel at the muzzle and the slide would pop forward. That led me to believe that the barrel is binding due to clearance.

Make sure Kahr knows that when you send it back. Welcome to the forum! :)

Tnhillbilly
12-01-2011, 06:38 PM
JFootin,

Thanks. When I talked to the Kahr person, he said to include a detailed description of the problem for the gunsmith to go by.

Its good to be here, I have lurked in the past and looked around on the forums a bunch since I decided to buy the CM9. Thanks!!

OldLincoln
12-02-2011, 07:01 AM

If you take a hard look at the inside upper part of the slide and the matching top front edge of the barrel hood you may see the cause of the barrel hanging up the slide. If this is it you should find scaring on the slide and/or burrs on the edge of the slide and the front edge of the barrel hood.

Take a look at the Glock video here (http://www.genitron.com/Basics/Glock23/P2Glock.html) that shows the slide action when fired. Note: select Continue, then Next, then Fire. You can see how the front edge of the barrel hood slides along (rubs?) the inside top of the slide. It doesn't take much to cause problems there. Please let us know what you find.

Tnhillbilly
12-02-2011, 05:45 PM
OldLincoln, That was a cool video. Thanks!! I think you may be onto something.. I have already sent the gun to Kahr, I will post what they find and the results when it comes back. Thanks!