PDA

View Full Version : Browning Hi Power

Dietrich
01-17-2010, 02:53 PM
I own a Hi Power finished in nickle chrome with the gold trigger,molded rubber grips with the Browning medallions and the adjustable rear sight.It truly is a thing of beauty.I`m talking woody material here boys.I carry it IWB in the colder months but it tends to drag my pants down some.As far as weight goes,it ain`t a PM9.I love this pistol and want to carry it more.Please weigh in on this and give me some suggestions.Do you think that suspenders with a belt would be a good option or is there something else.I`ve never owned a shoulder rig.Feasible?

Raoul
01-17-2010, 03:01 PM
Assuming you own a belt of quality like the Beltman products or somesuch, a pair of suspenders sounds like a valid approach. That ain't no plastic brick you've got holstered there.
I used to wear a nice leather shoulder rig about 35 years ago and found it acceptable in cold weather. Of course I think an M65 was my jacket of choice back then, lol.

swampman
01-17-2010, 03:13 PM
I too say a good shoulder is the way to go.I have a beretta 96G,it is close to the same size,or you could a wagon to pull it around in:D

ltxi
01-17-2010, 03:25 PM
Shoulder holster...exactly what popped into my mind as well.

wyntrout
01-17-2010, 03:26 PM
Those are pretty guns. I bought one around 1968 in the BX on Okinawa for $84.50, brought it back with me, and later sold it in college... needed the cash. That was one sale I regret, but I might have gotten in trouble with it. Sold it to my my buddy's PolySci professor and our drinking buddy for about $100 with a leather shoulder holster, hip holster and ammo -- what a deal! Aren't those just SA and you have to c*ck the hammer for the first shot? It has been a while! And I remembered to not spell out that bad word that gets censored.:D
Wynn

swampman
01-17-2010, 03:34 PM
yes they are single action,the HI power was the evolution of the 1911 :D

Raoul
01-17-2010, 03:40 PM
I too say a good shoulder is the way to go.I have a beretta 96G,it is close to the same size,or you could a wagon to pull it around in:D
http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/images/smilies/bowrofl.gifhttp://www.tngunowners.com/forums/images/smilies/bowrofl.gifhttp://www.tngunowners.com/forums/images/smilies/bowrofl.gif
Wagon, I luv that. Simple, practical, and totally concealable.

swampman
01-17-2010, 04:32 PM
nothing like a good radio flyer when you need one :D

Raoul
01-17-2010, 04:46 PM
nothing like a good radio flyer when you need one :D

And in today's economy, so inconspicuous. http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/images/smilies/bowrofl.gif

jfrey
01-17-2010, 05:14 PM
Get a good heavy weight leather belt that is at least 1 1/2" wide and a good leather holster. I carry mine OWB in a Galco Concealable holster and it isn't any heavier than a Commander 1911. The belt is the key. I have mine made special at a saddle shop and they are double thickness. With the light weight of my CW9 I don't even know I am wearing it. A good belt, not one of those flimsy Wally World kind, will last for many years. A shoulder rig is also a possibility but may not be as versitle as a regular holster. El Paso Saddlery is a good place to find quality belts and holsters that will support your weapon and last for a long time.

zena
01-17-2010, 05:20 PM
And in today's economy, so inconspicuous. http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/images/smilies/bowrofl.gif

I have a rottie who loves to pull his wagon...usually with a person in it...but I'm sure he'd make an exception and become part of your security detail.:D

Raoul
01-17-2010, 05:30 PM
I have a rottie who loves to pull his wagon...usually with a person in it...but I'm sure he'd make an exception and become part of your security detail.:D

We could contact TSA. http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/images/smilies/shrug.gif

Bawanna
01-17-2010, 05:35 PM
I'm with the get a good belt group. I use a shoulder rig periodically but it tears me up. Hits wrong or something on my neck. I went to the Galco SSII which has the wider harness thinking that would help but didn't do much. Course you may not have an issue. I'd still try a good belt.
If that doesn't work definitely go with Zena's Rottie.
Zena let's break new ground and post a picture of the Rottie. See if they would be compatible with Mr. Dietrichs ensemble. Awesome dogs when your on their good side. Several neighbors here have them, fortunately they all like me.

medezyner
01-18-2010, 11:18 AM
A nice Browning High Power, jez, the hell with the Rottie Wagon, I'll come down to NC and carry it and hand it to you when needed. One of my hunting friends had a shoulder rig and just couldnt get it comfortable enough (for 1911). Might be one of those holsters that takes a while to get use to and adjust right.

Bawanna
01-18-2010, 11:39 AM
A nice Browning High Power, jez, the hell with the Rottie Wagon, I'll come down to NC and carry it and hand it to you when needed. One of my hunting friends had a shoulder rig and just couldnt get it comfortable enough (for 1911). Might be one of those holsters that takes a while to get use to and adjust right.

Dang, why didn't I think of that, you guys are sooooo smart. Bawanna gunbearer. Bawanna Browning Bearer. I might have an issue handing it off when we see the elephant.

PETE14
01-18-2010, 11:42 AM
I just inherited a FEG PJK-9HP. It is a gun that was imported by Kossnar Imports and is a Hi-Power clone. Shoots really well but the insides are very cheap. Kind of like comparing a Fiero to a Corvette I know.

medezyner
01-18-2010, 12:03 PM
I just inherited a FEG PJK-9HP. It is a gun that was imported by Kossnar Imports and is a Hi-Power clone. Shoots really well but the insides are very cheap. Kind of like comparing a Fiero to a Corvette I know.

A Fiero...you're showing your age! I'd take that FEG in a heart beat. It's a clone, but nothing wrong with that. My old Armscor 1911 clone is still shooting well after over 4K rounds. It was my intro to 1911 and is now my son's trainer, but with a wolf spring refresh and other do-dads. Ya know, eventually it will lead to getting a Browning, so start saving. Enjoy.

PETE14
01-18-2010, 12:15 PM
Your right how about a Cosworth Vega! Actually I was 10 at that time.

medezyner
01-18-2010, 12:35 PM

Cosworth Vega...I wasnt even born then

swampman
01-18-2010, 12:54 PM
dietrich,Ive been wearing suspenders for about 10 yrs,started off with the clip on kind,they werent strong enough, kept popping loose and tearing uppolstery,then I went to the button kind,but had to resew to many buttons then I found the perry suspenders,they hook to your belt and work the best.they have them at wal-mart or cabels:D P.S. they also have wagons at wal-mart:)

Dietrich
01-18-2010, 01:53 PM
I have a couple of nice strong belts that I use for carry.Both were bought at Lawman`s Supply and come highly recommended by the law enforcement community.I think I`m going to try the suspenders before buying a shoulder rig.I think my main problem is that even though I`m 59 now,I`ve been able to maintain my girlish figure for all these years. Marie Osmond won`t even speak to me.B@#ch.

swampman
01-18-2010, 03:47 PM
I'm at home wearing my beretta 96G in an uncle mikes shoulder holster,my wife say's I can't bring the wagon in the house :)

Raoul
01-18-2010, 03:53 PM

10? Holy crap Batman...I'm old.

Raoul
01-18-2010, 03:55 PM
If you're looking for an awesome belt, I'd recommend the Beltman (http://www.thebeltman.net/). I've got a couple of his belts. They are the real deal.

ltxi
01-18-2010, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the link!

Bawanna
03-04-2010, 02:33 PM
Just no happy ending on this one. Mr. Dietrich, did you complete the suspender experiment? Anxious for a report.
Might as well report on your on the out status with Marie also.

Dietrich
03-04-2010, 04:52 PM
Sorry Bawanna,I got busy and forgot to give the end results for this one.First of all,I got a new Crossbreed for it and a new belt.Worked wonders except not for some of the slacks that I wear.The new belt is too wide for the loops so I use a smaller belt with suspenders and it does well enough to suit me.I really like carrying the Hipower but I`m not really crazy about the single action and it is just so damned pretty that I always want to show it to people.I`ve read about carrying it cocked and locked but I`m not really comfortable doing that.It will end up being carried on occasion but it will be more of a home defense weapon.Most of my carry time is using the PM9 or my Glock19. That Browning is a doll baby however.If I knew how to post pictures I`d let you see it.Another headturner I own is a Ruger Security Six that has been modified with a Colt Python target barrel.I can`t take either of them to the range without someone wanting to buy them.As far as Marie goes,she still isn`t speaking to me.I can`t help it if I look better in a pair of Capri pants than she does.Hussy.

Bawanna
03-04-2010, 05:07 PM
I know where your coming from with the cocked and locked deal. I like 1911's so I went to Para Ordnance LDA's, I have 3. They are great except for lousey trigger reset which really shouldn't be a big issue unless your shooting competition or LE. The pull is awesome. MX5fan put a curse on me with her Dan Wesson Cbob which is of course single action again. I carried single actions cocked and locked for years but still not solid on it. I own several of those too and love them to pieces. They are safe. Part of my issue was years of construction using a nail gun. Pick it up, finger on the trigger, touch and shoot. Not a good thing with a pistol.
I'll send ya a PM and talk you thru the picture deal, if I can do it anyone can do it. If I fail I'm sure Mr. Wyn who I think invented the computer and created the internet can save the day. Love to see them guns you mentioned.:music:

wyntrout
03-04-2010, 05:52 PM
I posted a four-part message on Smoke Eater's CP or whatever. You're limited to 1000 characters... and you know how I tend to blabber, so I had to break it up. Just use the numbers at the beginning. The order is reversed because the last message is posted first. That's the process I use here. I've been setting my camera's to 640 by 480 resolution instead of 4000 by 3000 (12-megapixel) and I don't always have to crop them down to 97K or so size.
Easier is posting on PhotoBucket or something like that for higher resolution -- those mouth-watering, big, beautiful pix we see of guns and holsters here sometimes. Smoke Eater used PB, but he reduced the pix to 120 by 160 or so -- too tiny! You can use megabyte-sized pix there.
I didn't know squat about any of this stuff and forums and chatting. Now I'm hooked and a bucket mouth, trying to entertain everyone here. Trying....
Computers are a personal hobby, in that I have had one or five since my first RS TRS-80 with 16 KILOBYTES memory. I build my own from the parts I want and upgrade stuff in them when I want. We used to have Computer Shows here like gun shows, but I think the Internet made them less profitable. I would bargain at the show using NewEgg prices. Now I just use NewEgg.com mostly for stuff. I like shopping like this. Too much... it's so easy and you don't need real money. I just pay off the plastic bills each month and sit here watching for the delivery trucks while I'm bird-watching out my window.
Wynn:D

Dietrich
03-04-2010, 06:11 PM
Well thanks to both of you but I had rather listen to recordings of people breaking a cat`s leg than try to mess with a camera and a computer.

Bawanna
03-04-2010, 07:38 PM
Well thanks to both of you but I had rather listen to recordings of people breaking a cat`s leg than try to mess with a camera and a computer.

I thought Mr. Jocko was a wise man, you are the wise man indeed. My dad years ago, (now long accross the river) asked me if he should get a computer. I told him you've had a perfect enjoyable life up to now, why flush it all down the comode and ruin it now with a computer. Far as I know he never touched a keyboard in his life.
The internet is indeed a wonderful information source, you can learn anything about anything, just sort thru the facts and opinions, sometimes hard to tell. Great to shop and never leave the farm as long as you have some self restraint which I sometimes sorely lack.
I'd love to see pics from you but I totally respect your desire to steer clear. My hearing sucks which is another big plus to email but I'm anxious to find a recording of someone breaking cats legs. Maybe in braile, crud I don't read braile or sign language but I better learn soon.
:rolleyes:

zena
03-07-2010, 06:13 PM
:rolleyes:Bawanna--Just read the cat's lips. You'll get it.:rolleyes:

jeep45238
03-07-2010, 06:41 PM
I'm sure a few folks are going to roll their eyes since I say it so often, but get a good holster, and a good GUN belt and you'll be fine.

That being said, I love me some Hi-Power.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s127/jeep45238/Range%20Time/FEG/DSCN0196.jpg

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s127/jeep45238/Range%20Time/Browning/DSCN0195.jpg

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s127/jeep45238/Range%20Time/Library-3759.jpg

Mister John Moses Browning may not have finalized the design, but he sure as hell got it most of the way there.

His middle name was Moses for a reason, after all ;)

Bawanna
03-07-2010, 06:51 PM
I like em too! Here's mine with a fresh set of handles, still in the sawdust pile awhile back.
Read the cats lips, I believe that would work. I can't believe the breaking cats legs statement came from the same guy that buys little neighbor girls dolls and gets hershey kiss'es? Maybe one of them split personality things?:19:

jeep45238
03-07-2010, 07:06 PM
You do some amazing work :)

Bawanna
03-07-2010, 07:12 PM
You do some amazing work :)

Blind hog gets an occasional acorn. Thanks, your endorsement if very meaningful to me. You obviously know what your about,(at least when it comes to guns). Thanks again.

jeep45238
03-07-2010, 07:21 PM
Blind hog gets an occasional acorn. Thanks, your endorsement if very meaningful to me. You obviously know what your about,(at least when it comes to guns). Thanks again.

Blind Hogg's a great 1911 smithing resource :)
Blindhogg custom gunworks (http://www.blindhogg.com/)

Had to rib you, I've only heard of blind squirrels finding acorns :D

Likewise, thanks for the compliment. Guns are a lot easier to figure out than women!