PDA

View Full Version : Reloading 40 Cal Question

johnatw
12-01-2011, 08:36 AM
I'm slowly learning to reload ammo,and thanks to you guys I have not blown anything up yet. My question is on another thread I saw some remarks that in 9mm the 124 grain bullet may be more accurate than the 115 grain. I have been shooting the 165 grain bullet mainly because that was what Walmart had in stock, and so then just bought 165 grain bullets to reload with. Should I at least buy some 180 grain bullets to try? Also does velocity mean much in reloading ammo for target shooting at 10 to 20 yards? Thanks for any suggestions

MO_Soldier
12-01-2011, 08:59 AM
I'm slowly learning to reload ammo,and thanks to you guys I have not blown anything up yet. My question is on another thread I saw some remarks that in 9mm the 124 grain bullet may be more accurate than the 115 grain. I have been shooting the 165 grain bullet mainly because that was what Walmart had in stock, and so then just bought 165 grain bullets to reload with. Should I at least buy some 180 grain bullets to try? Also does velocity mean much in reloading ammo for target shooting at 10 to 20 yards? Thanks for any suggestions

I would like to learn to reload too, but don't have any tools...so I would just be learning to learn, and maybe some day I'll have the money to buy the tools it requires.

My point is....as someone else who is new to reloading, what sources of information are you finding most helpful and least confusing?
Thank you

johnatw
12-01-2011, 09:22 AM
I have found two reliable sources of info, this site and the old timers in the skeet club I belong to. I did find out that RCBS sells a complete reloading kit (Rockchucker, scales, powder dispensor, Speer reloading book, etc.) at Midway USA and they offered free shipping and a $50 rebate until Dec 31. The reloading dies, carbide, were $39.
I live in Jonesboro, AR and would be glad to help if you live close by in MO.

MO_Soldier
12-01-2011, 09:41 AM
I live 4 hrs and 2 mins from Jonesboro. That would be a fun trip to take if there was a shooting event or something to go to.
The things you listed, are those everything you need to start reloading besides the brass, powder, bullets and primer?
I reloaded on my grandpa's stuff before years and years ago when I was 13. I know I am capable of it, but he just sat me down and said "Do this" and told me how many grains, etc. I don't know what tools I was using or how to determine that stuff on my own.

I'll look into that Midway USA thing. I like them. I'm trying to find any reason to buy stuff from them haha

TheTman
12-01-2011, 10:32 AM
Some of us like the 165 grain and lighter bullets than the 180 gr. They seem to end up with more FPS and FPE than the 180gr. Some agencies use the 180gr because it penetrates barriers like auto glass bettr than the lighter weight bullets. I'd experiment with 180, 155, and lighter to see where you get your best accuracy and performance.

Bawanna
12-01-2011, 10:49 AM
I try to load something similar to what I carry and try to make it shoot the same. Personally I'd stick with the 165's in 40.

There's lots of help here if you want to get into reloading. The first step is saving your brass. That's one of the most costly ingredients.

A tumbler to clean the brass is nice but you can wipe em down with a rag till you get one.

Its really helpful if you can find a reloader so you can actually see some of the stuff to help determine if you want to go single stage or progressive.

I loaded for years on a pair of RCBS Rockchuckers. A year ago I moved up to a Hornady Lock N Load Progressive. Sorry I waited so long. Its really fast. BUT I still kept one Rockchucker and I think it's a lot easier to learn what needs to happen on a single stage.
The mentioned RCBS kit is a good one and it has everything you need to start including a manual. My first reloader was that very kit and it was under a 100 bucks. The press will last forever. Most will want to upgrade the scale at some point but the balance beam works fine and if your not changing loads a lot once the powder measure is set you just check periodically.

Didn't mean to start a reloading seminar here.

johnatw
12-02-2011, 06:28 AM
I bought the RockChucker kit for $319, paid for shipping, applied for the $50 rebate. I forgot to mention the tumbler, I found one on ebay for $40 + shipping. I just recieved a flyer from Midway USA with the kit on sale for $288. A good deal I think. I'm afraid the $100 Bawanna paid is a thing of the past.
Thanks everyone for the thoughts on the 165 grain. I'll stick with them.
Bawanna, It might be helpful to have a reloading forum? I'm really interested in this.
MO Soldier, try to make the trip, I belong to a shooting range close by and mostly have it to myself during the week. We could set up our own shooting event.

DLButler
12-02-2011, 07:30 AM
You might want to look also at using an Ultrasonic cleaner instead of a tumbler for cleaning brass. I found the following link, (http://www.6mmbr.com/ultrasonic.html) and found the method to work like a charm. Also, a couple of others here at work have started using the same method. They come out really clean and no need to ream the primer socket.

johnh
12-02-2011, 07:31 AM
If you are just starting out and primarily intend to reload for pistols, I would suggest getting a Square Deal from Dillon. They are very easy to use, and pretty much have everything you need to start out. Of course there is the issue that they can only use the special dies and do pistol calibers. I keep one set up all the time in 10mm and just run that. I use my Dillon 550 for everything else. The Square deal is pretty quick with its auto-indexing, but a little harder to change things if you want to swap calibers, etc.

For 40, I also vote 165. I like the recoil impulse better with loads using lighter bullets in that caliber. 165s can be pushed a little faster than a 180 and still get a softer shooting round. I actually run them in 10mm as well, albeit at a couple hundred fps faster. :)

Bawanna
12-02-2011, 09:20 AM
I bought the RockChucker kit for $319, paid for shipping, applied for the $50 rebate. I forgot to mention the tumbler, I found one on ebay for $40 + shipping. I just recieved a flyer from Midway USA with the kit on sale for $288. A good deal I think. I'm afraid the $100 Bawanna paid is a thing of the past.
Thanks everyone for the thoughts on the 165 grain. I'll stick with them.
Bawanna, It might be helpful to have a reloading forum? I'm really interested in this.
MO Soldier, try to make the trip, I belong to a shooting range close by and mostly have it to myself during the week. We could set up our own shooting event.

We have a reloading area under the use and carry heading.

Tilos
12-02-2011, 10:58 AM
johnatw:
Good choice on the Rock Chucker kit.

I too would start with the 165 grain bullet and suggest working up a load that fuctions well and hits to the same point of aim as your defense/carry ammo.

In 40, I would stay away from uknown brass picked up at the range as many who compete leave questionable brass on the ground when they think it's used up.
This caution applies to all calibers of brass found on the ground were competitve events or event practice happens.

40 brass failure can hurt you or your gun and I would also suggest you only reload brass you have fired when new.

Now, police practice brass, in small dept, is usually once fired if you know that's what it is you're picking up.

Tilos