PDA

View Full Version : Help / advice on installing grip hardware ADDED PIC

TriggerMan
12-01-2011, 03:16 PM
I may be the only one who doesn't know, but my hardware kit came with O rings to use as washers.

Do they go between the frame and the backside of the grip OR between the screw and the grip's front surface.

My other guns don't use washers.

Thanks

EDIT - The "after" picture has guns together, the before is split between two old pictures. Note the old large ss screws on the Sig. The after has proper Sig screws.

Thunder71
12-01-2011, 03:24 PM
Screw and grip is what I would do.

Keep your mind out of the gutter folks.

TheTman
12-01-2011, 03:42 PM
I'd call Kahr and ask what they are for.

TriggerMan
12-01-2011, 03:44 PM
I'd call Kahr and ask what they are for.Tom,

My polymer framed Kahr doesn't have replaceable grips. Too late in the day to call anyone except the experts here. Maybe I should post in the 1911 folder?

I think Thunder71 is correct, btween the screw head and the grip's front side

Bawanna
12-01-2011, 03:48 PM
The rubber washer goes on the grip screw on the outside of the grip. As you tighten the screw it will squeeze the rubber. This way you don't have to over tighten the screw risking cracking. It also helps keep the screw from backing out during firing.

Many manufacturers are using them now. Beretta used to use a little star washer. I like the rubber o rings a lot myself.

jocko
12-01-2011, 03:48 PM
I may be the only one who doesn't know, but my hardware kit came with O rings to use as washers.

Do they go between the frame and the backside of the grip OR between the screw and the grip's front surface.

My other guns don't use washers.

Thanks

and screws all come from kahr. I am assuming we are tqalking about the wooden grips to. My take on this is that I had a apir of nice kahr wood grips for my K9 and I had a hell of a time keeping the grip screws tight, expecially the right side grip and if those screws get loose the gun canfaildue to the trigger bar not being held in place. Thegrip serves to hold that trigger bar in perfect alignment. So maybe the O rings are for eht grip screws so that once tightened they will work like a lock washer, only not deface any wood. I aqm sure the O ring does not go behind the wooden grip but between the screw and the grips fron surface. I went back to my rubber factory kahr grips that I now realize I should have stayed with in the first place.

TriggerMan
12-01-2011, 03:51 PM
THANKS everyone

FYI, these came from another OEM and don't connect to any Kahr. There are just too many gun smart guys here to go elsewhere for quick advice.

jocko
12-01-2011, 03:58 PM
OK, were cool with that compliment. I know I am smart!! I have been called a smart ass many times, I just don't tell people about the ass part and tell them I have been called smart a 100 times. I will still say the rubber O ring goes between the screw head and thegrip on the outside. Just makies good sense. Some have said this for the 1911's grips being done that way also..

TriggerMan
12-01-2011, 07:51 PM
OK, were cool with that compliment. I know I am smart!! I have been called a smart ass many times, I just don't tell people about the ass part and tell them I have been called smart a 100 times. I will still say the rubber O ring goes between the screw head and thegrip on the outside. Just makies good sense. Some have said this for the 1911's grips being done that way also..After juggling some parts supplied by Sig and some by Brownell, I have new grips on my 1911 RCS. The look is improved. The last owner, or Sig, used large silver flat head screws which didn't seem to match the cosmetics of the gun. Trying to use those worked in 3 of 4 bushings, but, because the grips were not countersunk the same size as my (broken) originals, the fourth screw wouldn't catch the bushings treads. Tried another set of screws, thought I had it, but found I couldn't insert a mag. Finally found some screws that were blued, with a allen wrench head and just the right size head and length. They fit the counter sunk holes very nicely. Perfecto.

The thin compact 1911 grips came from RAASCO in Nevada. For $43.95 they are OK. The other pair I bought for my GSG 1911-22 are nicer, they are half checkered (tactical) and have a nice shine. The material (wood?) is called Dymondwood. They put the Santos Zebra Dymondwood on the RCS to shame. The nicer ones are called Rosewood Burgundy Dymondwood. Also $44

Shot the GSG better today now that it has slim grips.

TriggerMan
12-01-2011, 10:31 PM
Added before and after pictures to original post

OldLincoln
12-02-2011, 05:43 AM
Yeah, between the screw head and the grip, else the grip will split.