PDA

View Full Version : Maybe found a new toy....

jdlott74
12-01-2011, 08:00 PM
Much to jlottmc's fear, I may have found a new toy I want. He has a Taurus 740 Slim. Mainly I carry my Kahr CW45, in my concealment purse. Well, my MIL, SIL, jlottmc's grandmother, his great aunt and cousin all took DD to the Dallas Zoo, riding the Dart rail (which might I add doesn't stop in the best spots AND Dallas Zoo is NOT in the best neighborhood in Dallas) the Friday after Thanksgiving. Spent a girls day together, and jlottmc got a day to himself to chill at home, quiet without his girls to relax after he's been in school so much.

Well, since I knew I'd be carrying IWB in the small of my back, I wanted something a little lighter than my Kahr. I chose to carry his Taurus and I'm IN LOVE!!! It's so light and I hardly ever knew it was there. Nobody else did either which is good because his mom is not a big fan of weapons of any kind.

Thunder71
12-01-2011, 08:05 PM
IWB + SOB = Don't Fall

I've heard WAY too many horror stores of people getting seriously injured carrying that way.

jeepster09
12-01-2011, 08:06 PM
Light gun....Poor quality is a trait of Taurus however.

jdlott74
12-01-2011, 08:11 PM

We haven't had any problem with this one or any of the other Taurus's that I can remember. It wouldn't be a primary CCW though for me.

JFootin
12-01-2011, 08:49 PM

That doesn't seem to be the case with the LCP, though. Had some growing pains like all tiny 380s, but seems solid now. And with so many flooding the market, we would be hearing about it if there were QC problems with this gun.

MO_Soldier
12-01-2011, 09:05 PM
IWB + SOB = Don't Fall

I've heard WAY too many horror stores of people getting seriously injured carrying that way.

IWB + "Small of Back"??
What horror stories have you heard and how would this differ from the popular 5 o'clock position?
I carry 5 o'clock but when I bend over the butt of my pistol prints a bit. That's fine normally, but when I need to conceal super deep, I carry at 6 o'clock on the right side of my spine. Is this the dangerous spot you're talking about?

That doesn't seem to be the case with the LCP, though. Had some growing pains like all tiny 380s, but seems solid now. And with so many flooding the market, we would be hearing about it if there were QC problems with this gun.

I THINK JFootin is referring to the TCP. I had to look it up just to make sure though, as JFootin definitely knows what he's talking about.

Bawanna
12-01-2011, 09:22 PM
Anything worn at 6 oclock right at the spine is a risk factor if you fall wrong. That's precisely where I broke my back although not from a fall. I imagine the risk is relatively small unless your walking on ice or snow maybe but a risk none the less.

MO_Soldier
12-01-2011, 09:25 PM
Anything worn at 6 oclock right at the spine is a risk factor if you fall wrong. That's precisely where I broke my back although not from a fall. I imagine the risk is relatively small unless your walking on ice or snow maybe but a risk none the less.

Ohhh...I was thinking along the accidental discharge due to mechanical failure type of accidents, and was skeptical because I feel the striker with passive striker block is the safest firing mechanism available.

But that's definitely a risk. I will try to work around the 5 o'clock as best that I can from now on. Thank you Bawanna. How long has it been since your accident , if you don't mind?

O'Dell
12-01-2011, 09:29 PM
Good luck with the Taurus. It has to be better than mine. Over the years I'm 1 for 3 - one that worked and two that even Taurus couldn't get right. I've been out of the Taurus business for a while and don't plan to go back.

Bawanna
12-01-2011, 09:32 PM
Ohhh...I was thinking along the accidental discharge due to mechanical failure type of accidents, and was skeptical because I feel the striker with passive striker block is the safest firing mechanism available.

But that's definitely a risk. I will try to work around the 5 o'clock as best that I can from now on. Thank you Bawanna. How long has it been since your accident , if you don't mind?

16 years. Time flies when your having fun. In hind sight and something I never thought of before as I always figured the wall that fell on me and folded me up much too far did the damage but I also carried my framing axe, a hammer with a hatchet on the back at 6 oclock. In fact laying on the deck waiting for the meat wagon I had my guys check cause it felt like the blade was stuck in me. It was lying flat but right in the exact broken spot.

Enlightening thought, one that never crossed my mind before. Matters not I guess.

MO_Soldier
12-01-2011, 09:35 PM
16 years. Time flies when your having fun. In hind sight and something I never thought of before as I always figured the wall that fell on me and folded me up much too far did the damage but I also carried my framing axe, a hammer with a hatchet on the back at 6 oclock. In fact laying on the deck waiting for the meat wagon I had my guys check cause it felt like the blade was stuck in me. It was lying flat but right in the exact broken spot.

Enlightening thought, one that never crossed my mind before. Matters not I guess.

What a story. Thank you for sharing!

yqtszhj
12-01-2011, 10:14 PM

Let's not talk about accidential discharge due to mechanical failure because I appendix carry 50% of the time and that would cause my carry piece to shoot..... OH MY!!!! :2eek:

OldLincoln
12-02-2011, 05:52 AM
Bawanna, what happened to you is exactly why the caution is out there. I knew and understood it, but this is the first I've heard of the detail of your break itself and it is vivid in my mind. Now I'm thinking about my son installing network cabling on ladders all day long. I'm going to share your story with him as I think he has grown a bit numb to our asking him to be careful.

All who carry anything other than a pillow shouldn't do such at 6. It's a matter of risk assessment, that is the chance of it happening balanced with the consequence if it does happen. It might be convenient to carry your hammer there, but the consequence of falling is too great. 16 years in a chair later and you know Bawanna wouldn't do it over.

Bawanna, you may have helped more then you know, thank you.

kayl
12-02-2011, 12:35 PM
I have a 740 slim and it's fantastic. That said, I'm going to the CM9 for pocket carry, I put on too many lbs in the past year :mad: