PDA

View Full Version : Baby 1911 .22

getsome
12-07-2011, 03:35 PM
Has anyone seen or fired one of these?...Last gun magazine I read had an article about one made by Browning and it is basically an 85% scale of a standard 1911 size pistol and has a 10 round magazine...

I was at a LGS Saturday and they had the same size/style pistol but made by Sig for $329.00...I have been wanting a semi auto .22 for some time and have been leaning toward the Ruger 22/45 Mark III as they are a tried and true design but I really liked how the Sig feels in my hand and is very close to a standard 1911 in everything but weight and a slightly thinner, shorter grip and the price is right....

I really need to find a cheaper way to shoot and a .22 should fit the bill and I think every shooter should own a nice .22 pistol....I have a Ruger Bearcat .22 single action I bought as my sons first learner pistol but it hasn't been fired for years....Any thoughts?

Bawanna
12-07-2011, 03:40 PM
There's a few out there. GSG, Chiappa, Puma. GB has the Browning and it's sweet. I'm torn between a conversion and a whole new gun. I'm leaning towards whole new gun.

MW surveyor
12-07-2011, 03:47 PM
getsome

Unlike the mighty Bawanna, I would suggest getting a conversion if you already have a 1911. I know that they are pretty nearly the same price as a new 22 but it sure is good to practice with the same frame and trigger.

That being said, I've got a S&W 422 that I bought years ago that is a fair copy of the 1911 grip and length. But is way lighter.

getsome
12-07-2011, 03:48 PM
I was also thinking of the conversion but my 1911 is a S&W with external extractor and I'm not sure the kit would work on my gun....That little Sig looks nice and was very tight...They had a black finished one and a green slide finish which Jeep will like....Just what I need right here at Christmas, something else to spend dough on....Oh well maybe next year...:rolleyes:

MW surveyor
12-07-2011, 04:00 PM
The conversion kits replace the slide so there is no problem with the external extractor. Just pop the 1911 slide off and replace it with the 22 slide. Easy peasy.

getsome
12-07-2011, 04:32 PM
Thanks, I thought it was just a barrel replacement....

TriggerMan
12-07-2011, 04:34 PM
Has anyone seen or fired one of these?...Last gun magazine I read had an article about one made by Browning and it is basically an 85% scale of a standard 1911 size pistol and has a 10 round magazine...

I was at a LGS Saturday and they had the same size/style pistol but made by Sig for $329.00...I have been wanting a semi auto .22 for some time and have been leaning toward the Ruger 22/45 Mark III as they are a tried and true design but I really liked how the Sig feels in my hand and is very close to a standard 1911 in everything but weight and a slightly thinner, shorter grip and the price is right....

I really need to find a cheaper way to shoot and a .22 should fit the bill and I think every shooter should own a nice .22 pistol....I have a Ruger Bearcat .22 single action I bought as my sons first learner pistol but it hasn't been fired for years....Any thoughts?The SIG is a GSG.

I have a GSG and it's extremely reliable with plain 22LR ammo. You get extra front sights but only one mag. Get a newer one so that more parts are metal, rather than plastic. I just put new slim grips on mine for $44. They are from RAASCO in California. The gun on the left.

TriggerMan
12-07-2011, 04:37 PM
There's a few out there. GSG, Chiappa, Puma. GB has the Browning and it's sweet. I'm torn between a conversion and a whole new gun. I'm leaning towards whole new gun.
For M&P fans, who want practice with a full replica of the larger caliber guns, Smith has a new 22LR M&P. Its about $377. Shown with optional and user removable safety.

BuckeyeBlast
12-07-2011, 04:38 PM
I'd love to get the Browning 1911, but damn the prices on those are high.

I've got a Buckmark and have 3 Rugers. Of all of them, my favorite is the 22/45 RP w/ a shorter barrel. I put a HiViz on it like my 1911, and it really seems to serve good, cheap practice.
http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/a453/RightClickError/Gun%20Stuff/PICT0116-3.jpg

jocko
12-07-2011, 05:10 PM
that little bear cat was a cool liittle gun back in my gun dealing days. We didn't sell many though but they were cool looking. The cadillac of the semi 22's back in my days( early 70's) was the Model 41, now there was a real peace along with the full line of Highstandards semi 22. I really think Hight standadrd back then made the finest of the target grade 22. their supermatic trophy kinda comes to mind also. course I bet not to many ever seen the Model 41 Smith with the extended sliding front sight. Now there was a peace of workmnanship if I ever seen one...

.com Item:9310650 Smith & Wesson Model 41 with extended front sight, 5 1/2"3 mags For Sale at GunAuction

tweedman
12-08-2011, 06:38 AM
The Sig is the same gun as the GSG as previously stated. HOWEVER, the GSG has a one year warranty and the Sig has a lifetime. New ones come with all the upgrades. They work great and are able to be modified. ie. safeties, triggers, sights etc. Never regretted getting mine after debating over conversion - complete gun.

TriggerMan
12-08-2011, 08:46 AM
The Sig is the same gun as the GSG as previously stated. HOWEVER, the GSG has a one year warranty and the Sig has a lifetime. New ones come with all the upgrades. They work great and are able to be modified. ie. safeties, triggers, sights etc. Never regretted getting mine after debating over conversion - complete gun.There is less than 100% compatibility of parts interchange. It's said to be 80%. Google to fnd out which can be swapped.

gb6491
12-08-2011, 09:04 AM
I've a few different .22 handguns and I'm finding the little Browning hard to beat for pure plinking fun (though my Llama gives it a run for it's money).
http://i40.tinypic.com/5xmmww.jpg
Regards,
Greg

MW surveyor
12-08-2011, 12:11 PM
Greg, that is one seriously pimped out 22!

Bawanna
12-08-2011, 12:12 PM
Ain't it though. Makes my britches stick, well ya know.

MW surveyor
12-08-2011, 01:29 PM
I can't decide on if he should get it chromed or all of the engraving highlighted in gold!

Bawanna
12-08-2011, 03:55 PM
The only thing that don't blow my dress up on that Llama is them pearl grips, real men carry Ivory.
I knew nothing about them but of course Greg educated me for the 712th time and once again for about the 84th time put me on the prowl.

That's an out of the box obviously deluxe model but it comes like that. Found one all original, near perfect in a little suitcase type original box. Amazing.

The search continues.

Longitude Zero
12-08-2011, 04:23 PM
If you do decide to go with a conversion DO NOT GET anything from JONATHAN ARTHUR CIENER. He is a CROOK and a SCUMMY, SMARMY business man. I have dealt with several of his kits and they are all pices of poopoo. Recently his business was raided by the authorities.

I would not urinate on him if his hair was on fire!!!

MW surveyor
12-08-2011, 04:35 PM
If you do decide to go with a conversion DO NOT GET anything from JONATHAN ARTHUR CIENER. He is a CROOK and a SCUMMY, SMARMY business man. I have dealt with several of his kits and they are all pices of poopoo. Recently his business was raided by the authorities.

I would not urinate on him if his hair was on fire!!!

So tell us how you really feel. :D

FWIW - I've got the Advantage Arms target type conversion kit. Couldn't be happier with it. No problems at all in over 2000 rounds through it in the last few months.

Longitude Zero
12-08-2011, 06:11 PM
Yuppa I am too shy, HEHEHE.. After I found and Advantage Arms Kit I could not be happier. I really like the AA and the folks are very good to deal with.

Cokeman
12-08-2011, 11:06 PM
I'd love to get the Browning 1911, but damn the prices on those are high.

I've got a Buckmark and have 3 Rugers. Of all of them, my favorite is the 22/45 RP w/ a shorter barrel. I put a HiViz on it like my 1911, and it really seems to serve good, cheap practice.
http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/a453/RightClickError/Gun%20Stuff/PICT0116-3.jpg

That actually looks good.