PDA

View Full Version : OK...should I raise the white flag...?

In-Yo-Grill
01-19-2010, 06:03 AM
My P45 is still giving me FTE's. Not no where near as many when I first took it to the range. Still, I'm getting about 2-3FTE's from each 50rnd box of ball ammo. Even more from the cheaper, dirty ammo.

My question is...should I go ahead and sent it back to Kahr and have them take a look at it? I've put about 700rnds through it since I bought it so I'm well past the break in period. Or should I go ahead and give her one more trip to the range and see how she does until I get to the 1000rnd mark?

Any suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated.

Dobieman
01-19-2010, 06:42 AM
If your using a variety of different ammo with the same result send it back.
I never had a failure on any Glock 45 I owned and I had them all.
700 rounds, your more patient than I would have been.

ripley16
01-19-2010, 07:39 AM
If the extractor isn't damaged and works well and if the ejector is in proper condition and the recoil spring isn't bad, then the problem will not fix itself. My suggestion would be to consider replacing one or all three of these parts, which would be cheaper than shipping the gun back to Kahr.

How is the failure manifested? What's happening to the case?

In-Yo-Grill
01-19-2010, 07:47 AM
If the extractor isn't damaged and works well and if the ejector is in proper condition and the recoil spring isn't bad, then the problem will not fix itself. My suggestion would be to consider replacing one or all three of these parts, which would be cheaper than shipping the gun back to Kahr.

How is the failure manifested? What's happening to the case?

This is what's happening...The casing looks like it didn't have time to make it out before another round is being chambered.

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll191/Fresh2Salt/My%20Guns/Jam-2.jpg

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll191/Fresh2Salt/My%20Guns/Jam-4.jpg

ripley16
01-19-2010, 08:01 AM
Are you shooting reloads? That looks like the slide may not be fully retracted and catches the case prior to being ejected. What ammo were you using when these problems occured?

In-Yo-Grill
01-19-2010, 08:12 AM
Are you shooting reloads? That looks like the slide may not be fully retracted and catches the case prior to being ejected. What ammo were you using when these problems occured?

No reloads...all factory ammo.

From best to worst...
Sellier & Bellot
PMC Bronze
Winchester White Box
Remington UMC
Monarch

The gun did much better with the first two brands but from the WWB on down the FTE's got worse. I'm guessing because of the dirty ammo.

I think I can handle replacing the recoil spring myself but I've never worked on guns. How hard is it to replace the ejector or extractor?

mx5fan
01-19-2010, 08:44 AM
If it were me and I was still having these issues....I'd be contacting Kahr and sending my pistol in for repair. Warranty or not, what good is a pistol that you have no faith in?

In-Yo-Grill
01-19-2010, 08:51 AM
If it were me and I was still having these issues....I'd be contacting Kahr and sending my pistol in for repair. Warranty or not, what good is a pistol that you have no faith in?

Well I went ahead and put sent an e-mail to Ian Burr over at Kahr. We'll see what happens. I have full confidence it will get worked out.

I agree with your statement. I bought this gun for CC not for the range. Still, I want to know it's going to go BANG! every time I pull the trigger without any follow up issues.

getsome
01-19-2010, 09:32 AM
+1 on sending it back....Kahr will make it right...If it doesn't shoot 100% of the time you will never feel confident to CCW...If you like the pistol and want to keep it just let them have it as many times as needed to get it right...

In-Yo-Grill
01-19-2010, 09:48 AM
+1 on sending it back....Kahr will make it right...If it doesn't shoot 100% of the time you will never feel confident to CCW...If you like the pistol and want to keep it just let them have it as many times as needed to get it right...

Well I absolutely love this pistol. It was what I've been wanting for my CCW but two other Kahrs got in the way before finding this one. I know I just have to be patient and let them fix it.

ripley16
01-19-2010, 09:50 AM

That can get expensive at $45 a pop to mail the gun back.

Vinikahr
01-19-2010, 10:16 AM
That can get expensive at $45 a pop to mail the gun back.
If the firearm is under warranty it should be on Kahr's Dime.:86:

getsome
01-19-2010, 10:22 AM
Thats right, just call customer service ans explain the situation to them and ask for a pre-paid shipping form from fed-x and they should do it for you...Just ask nice...

Vinikahr
01-19-2010, 10:45 AM
My P45 is still giving me FTE's. Not no where near as many when I first took it to the range. Still, I'm getting about 2-3FTE's from each 50rnd box of ball ammo. Even more from the cheaper, dirty ammo.

My question is...should I go ahead and sent it back to Kahr and have them take a look at it? I've put about 700rnds through it since I bought it so I'm well past the break in period. Or should I go ahead and give her one more trip to the range and see how she does until I get to the 1000rnd mark?

Any suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated.

Besides sending to Kahr for service, one thing to consider for Self Defense firearm, once you have breaking in the weapon, you may wanted to shoot it, in intervals of 50 rounds per session, if every time you shoot those 50 rounds there is no issue the the weapon is reliable and functional.

In the other hand if you go beyond 50 rounds the weapon will get dirty and of course you should expect malfunctions. That is my perspective, the Kahr firearms (POU) are not intended to go to war or be in a shoot out just like the one in Kalifornia, but rather to stop a threat on a one on one close range. This is what I notice from most weapon I own, they are fine for those first 50 rounds.

I know that when we go to the range we want to shoot the heck out this weapons and expect then to function perfect and put lots of rounds, (which that is what I expect also)but reality is another thing, I would send it to Kahr for service, then will test it out as per my observations to see how it goes.

On a last note when Kahr service your weapons it probably will shoot several rounds to test function, I am sure they will not use even 50 rounds, unless there is something terrible wrong with it. JMHO. :86:

mr surveyor
01-19-2010, 07:04 PM
just for the record, an ffl can ship a hand gun for under 10 bucks through the US Mail. I would take it to the dealer and get him to ship it, or to your best friend, the ffl. I have a shop that I buy a lot of guns from, and he will ship (to an ffl or factory) any gun I take in and I just pay for the cost of the little shipping box from the post office. It's nice to have friends like that:)

surv

In-Yo-Grill
01-19-2010, 07:44 PM
I was in contact with Kahr today. They are sending me a RA request and are going to cover shipping both ways.

I'll keep you guys posted on how things go. So far I'm pleased with their quick communication.

tv_racin_fan
01-21-2010, 12:23 AM
Has someone else shot this weapon and had the same issue? My wife has issues with our Kahr handguns, generally she can clear the weapon and drive on but now and again she has failures. I'll grab the weapon clear the failure and empty the mag, refill it and empty it without issue, refill it hand it back to her and she will have a failure. It isn't every mag and she is getting less and less but still.

In-Yo-Grill
01-21-2010, 05:31 AM
Yes sir...I've had a couple of other buddies shoot it with the same results.