PDA

View Full Version : Range Report on New PM9

Hognutz
12-08-2011, 03:49 PM
I just got done running 120 rounds through my PM9, flawlessly. 100 rounds were S&B 115 gr. FMJ, and 20 rounds were Federal 115 gr. hp's that I had laying around. They shot without a hiccup. I then wanted to try some Gold Dot 124 gr. SD. After firing and ejecting the second round, the slide locked back. I hit the release, and it went into battery. The next two mags. did the same thing. I fired 40 rounds of the Gold Dot and had three slide lockbacks. I have 320 rounds of misc. cheap ammo through this thing, without a hiccup. I figured the Gold Dots would be a slam dunk. Not so much!! They were not +p. But neither was any of the cheap stuff. The last mag. ran six clean..The gun was clean before I started. It was cold, 32 degrees, but again, the cheap stuff ran through it like eggs through a hen. I do have some Gold Dots coming that are +p, but wouldn't you think the regulars would have run as well? Need some advice..Mike

Ikeo74
12-08-2011, 06:56 PM
It sounds like the gold dots were just enough more powerful that the recoil caused you to push up the mag catch without realizing it. If so there is nothing wrong with the gun. Check your grip.

Hognutz
12-08-2011, 07:02 PM
I don't think there is anything wrong with the gun. It fired over 300 rounds without failure. With all due respect, what does the mag catch have to do with the slide locking open?

rogerthedodger
12-08-2011, 07:06 PM
I think he meant your grip caused the slide release to lock the slide open, usually the thumb does it! Changing the grip to move the thumb away(down) helps.

Ikeo74
12-08-2011, 07:08 PM
I don't think there is anything wrong with the gun. It fired over 300 rounds without failure. What does the mag catch have to do with the slide locking open?
Correction, I ment the slide release, sorry. Recoil may cause you to push it up without knowing.
I was just reading a post about mag release not droping the mags and it carried over.:israel:

Bawanna
12-08-2011, 07:09 PM
I suspect he meant slide lock lever. It's very easy to just bump it with your thumb and not even know it. I rounded mine off to prevent it as I did it once in awhile.

Hognutz
12-08-2011, 07:12 PM
You may be onto something here. I am telling you, I went from this is the coolist gun on the planet to WTF. in 3 shots. I thought the GD's would be a slam dunk..If you think about it, what else would make the damn slide stay open after it ejected the casing? Either an empty mag, or the lever was pushed upwards. But why on the third shot, always? Any more thoughts. This is driving me frigin' nuts!!!Mike

Ikeo74
12-08-2011, 07:17 PM
I'm thinking you readjusted your grip (slighly) just before the lock-back.

Hognutz
12-08-2011, 07:28 PM
I just went down and picked up the gun. I can, in fact, feel on the side of my thumb where the slide stop may have hit. I will shoot it again this weekend, hopefully. The Gold Dot +P's will be here tomorrow. Hopefully I can re-adjust my grip to something a bit lower. I do shoot with a high grip..I believe you may have figured this out for me. My sincere thanks. Any other suggestions would be appreciated, as well..Thanks, Mike

Armybrat
12-08-2011, 07:37 PM
There oughta be a rule here that whenever anybody talks about their new Kahr or gives a range report, there should be at least one picture of said hardware.

I'm a visual kinda guy.

Just sayin'

OldLincoln
12-08-2011, 08:15 PM
I just went down and picked up the gun. I can, in fact, feel on the side of my thumb where the slide stop may have hit.

You aren't alone, Mike. I shot RogerDoger's PM9 and had to change up my grip to keep from covering the CT laser. I put the end of my weak thumb against the slide stop lever and by the time we finished the tip of my thumb was quite sore. Next day it was down right painful.

Hognutz
12-08-2011, 08:25 PM
There oughta be a rule here that whenever anybody talks about their new Kahr or gives a range report, there should be at least one picture of said hardware.

I'm a visual kinda guy.

Just sayin'

Here you go..

http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz47/hognutz262/CCW%20Handguns/CCWHandguns001.jpg
http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz47/hognutz262/CCW%20Handguns/CCWHandguns021.jpg
http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz47/hognutz262/CCW%20Handguns/CCWHandguns016.jpg

Micha2u
12-09-2011, 05:30 AM
Looking good...

jocko
12-10-2011, 05:54 PM
try shooting it left handed to see if u can duplicate the issue. I think the guys are on to this hotter round being a cause. It is so easy to engage that slide stop without knowing it. certainly not the first timethis has happened. Kahrs slide stop lever is IMO a tad over size anythow and a hotter round causes the gun to do things differently than the lower pressure rounds thatyou had no issues with.

Be vbery sure that no rounds are possably hitting on the inside of the sli9de stop lever eiterh, as this can cause pre mature slide locking open. This is asy tocheck even, just see the kahr tech section under propper prepping of ur kahr and it tells yhou how and where to look to see if this could be happening. Shooting it left handed should eliminate the thumb hitting the slide lock lever, eliminate that possable first..\

I think u have a good handle on what to to here to. Not ur first rodeo..

Hognutz
12-10-2011, 08:40 PM
I will definitely try shooting it left handed. Great suggestion. I checked to make sure that the rounds are not hitting the slide stop. That is O.K. I am 99% sure that it was pilot error. My big butt thumb was hitting the stop, and inadvertantly pushing up into the lock position..We will see when the stinkin' weather warms up. It was colder that a well drillers you know what, today..I got more Gold Dots, and hope to shoot by Thurs..Thanks for all the help, Mike

Kodiak
12-22-2011, 10:02 AM
Maybe I should be glad I'm left handed, even though I have yet to fire my new PM9. :p

Hognutz
12-22-2011, 10:54 AM
You right about that. But this was not a grip issue. It definitely is a problem with the slide stop being hit by the bullet, as it passes by. It is a clearance problem. Only happens with the JHP's., that have a blunt profile. FMJ's run through it like butter, because they are more streamlined..Why on mine? Dunno. You would think that they all would have the same specs..Good luck to you..

jocko
12-22-2011, 11:02 AM
slide stops by ALL MAKERS have been know to be out of spec. I had 3 replaced on my Para carry 9 before it got right. some things might be abl eto be a tad out of spec but not with slide stops, just no room inside there ..

Hognutz
12-22-2011, 11:35 AM
10-4 on the no room there. It is definitely a tight fit. I am sure they will get it right..