PDA

View Full Version : New discovery about my CM9

HeyGuysWatchThis
12-09-2011, 10:45 AM
Well, we finally got our first real snow here in West Michigan, so I tested out my gun with my heavy ski gloves, and it's a little close, of course, but it works. I had considered the Kel-Tec PF9, and that gun pinches people's bare fingers, so I'm sure you couldn't get a finger in there with gloves on.

This did raise a question for me, though. What's the commonly accepted wisdom for winter carry? If I have my coat buttoned up, an IWB draw is going to be REALLY slow, at best. I decided to coat pocket carry because I knew I wouldn't be taking it off before I returned home, but I don't like that option if I'm going somewhere that I will be expected to take off the coat, then my gun is no longer under my control-not good.

mfldmike
12-09-2011, 10:55 AM
Haven't gotten mine yet (still waiting) but I think I would carry mine OWB. The coat should cover it, and I usually wear an outside shirt anyway.

Thunder71
12-09-2011, 11:18 AM
Smartcarry, just leave the glove off that hand and walk with your hand down your pants to keep warm... always prepared.

r2dhart
12-09-2011, 11:32 AM
For winter carry I prefer a good belt holster. IWB's are great but you're right it takes time to dig through the layers of clothes to get to it. I try to keep no more than one layer on top of the gun (not counting my winter coat). This allows me to take off my coat and keep it concealed.

kayl
12-09-2011, 11:39 AM
Smartcarry, just leave the glove off that hand and walk with your hand down your pants to keep warm... always prepared.

:ohmy::ohmy:

+1 to a OWB- I just got a Tauga Gun Leather High Ride and it's a very nice holster for the $$ :)

Markis82
12-09-2011, 12:35 PM
Move to S W Florida and IWB carry. 80 and sunny right now. :D

TheTman
12-09-2011, 02:31 PM
They make special shooting gloves with a slot you can put your bare trigger finger through to fire your weapon. I've been carrying OWB a lot with the cooler weather to places I'm not going to have to take my coat off, like Wally world, grocery store, quick mart, etc. The little Charter Arms I been carrying rides pretty high so if I do take my coat off a shirt will cover it, but I live in a state where if your gun shows a little it's not criminal.

muggsy
12-10-2011, 07:45 AM
Well, we finally got our first real snow here in West Michigan, so I tested out my gun with my heavy ski gloves, and it's a little close, of course, but it works. I had considered the Kel-Tec PF9, and that gun pinches people's bare fingers, so I'm sure you couldn't get a finger in there with gloves on.

This did raise a question for me, though. What's the commonly accepted wisdom for winter carry? If I have my coat buttoned up, an IWB draw is going to be REALLY slow, at best. I decided to coat pocket carry because I knew I wouldn't be taking it off before I returned home, but I don't like that option if I'm going somewhere that I will be expected to take off the coat, then my gun is no longer under my control-not good.

I don't know if it's commonly accepted or wise, but I pocket carry in winter and wear an IWB for when I have to go indoors. I make a quick trip to the men's room to make the switch. At my age no one questions me about a quick trip to the men's room. :)

OldLincoln
12-10-2011, 10:48 AM
I don't live in the snow or go anywhere close to it if I can help it. I do think if it were me I would carry in my coat pocket IF I could be confident it could not fall out.

I have this "thing" in my head that if it can be lost I would be the one to lose it, so I would modify the coat or do something different otherwise. That is also why I wouldn't carry OWB in the snow. I know I would fall just messing around so would prefer it in a zipped up pocket.

JFootin
12-10-2011, 10:54 AM
Or, a pocket with a Velcro flap would work to keep the gun secure and yet provide quick access.