PDA

View Full Version : help for small hands

kerby9mm
12-11-2011, 01:54 PM
In addition to my mk9 and my mk40 I also have a 5inch Kimber Eclipse The Kahrs fit my hands perfectly The Kimber is just a little too large for my hands to get a really good grip I have considered slim grips but I understand they require new shorter bushings. Am I correct that they have to be pressed in Its new with only 200 rouds through it without even the slightest hitch with 5 different kinds of ammo including Hpoints and I really don't want to sell it Any and all suggestions would be appreciated

Bawanna
12-11-2011, 02:13 PM
The bushings slim or standard are screwed in. BUT sometimes they are staked in place. I've swapped out several without difficulty but I've heard of others where the staking had to be undone. I've been lucky I didn't run accross any that I couldn't just pop loose. A proper fitting screwdriver or the tool that's made specifically for the bushings is a very good thing.
On the plus side, once you get slim bushings installed you can run even standard grips, you just need proper sized screws so they don't mess with the mag well. A standard grip with standard length screws will work fine usually with slim bushing so if you feel the need to swap back and forth for various occasions you don't have to change the bushings.

kerby9mm
12-11-2011, 02:54 PM
Thanks Bawanna for your reply Since you have experience with slim grips is there a noticeable difference to you The grips that came with the gun seem overly large to me I did have the grips off once for a cleaning that wasn't really necessary and the bushings didn't look screwed in (my lack of luck) Would you know on the basis that its a Kimber?

Bawanna
12-11-2011, 03:11 PM
Thanks Bawanna for your reply Since you have experience with slim grips is there a noticeable difference to you The grips that came with the gun seem overly large to me I did have the grips off once for a cleaning that wasn't really necessary and the bushings didn't look screwed in (my lack of luck) Would you know on the basis that its a Kimber?

I'd wager a weeks lunch money (baring in mind I bring my own and eat alot of peanut butter and jelly) that your bushings are screwed in. You might look up the mag well to see the back side but I'm betting you'll see threads.
I've never known of a Kimber or anyother 1911 for that matter that didn't have threaded bushings.
If you have half way decent gun shop near by and they happened to have some slim bushings I'm sure they would install them for you cheap or even free. You can give it a try yourself and I'd bet they just unscrew.

Slim grips make a huge difference in the feel of the gun in your hand. Old Lincoln and Tucson and one or two others are wearing slim grips and say they are very pleased with them, course they could be jiving too.

I've been using Fusion bushings and screws. They seem to be good quality and reasonably priced. You can get just about any thing you want, stainless or blued, slotted or allen head or whatever.

With slim grips it's best to stick with a stabilized wood or some sort of composite so they don't crack on ya. I've had some last forever with no issue with plain good wood, others don't make it off the workbench before they crack.

gb6491
12-11-2011, 07:59 PM
The bushings slim or standard are screwed in. BUT sometimes they are staked in place. I've swapped out several without difficulty but I've heard of others where the staking had to be undone. I've been lucky I didn't run accross any that I couldn't just pop loose. A proper fitting screwdriver or the tool that's made specifically for the bushings is a very good thing.
On the plus side, once you get slim bushings installed you can run even standard grips, you just need proper sized screws so they don't mess with the mag well. A standard grip with standard length screws will work fine usually with slim bushing so if you feel the need to swap back and forth for various occasions you don't have to change the bushings.
kerby9mm,
Let me reiterate what Bawanna has said here: do not attempt to remove the bushings without a proper fitting, hollow ground screwdriver (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=501/Product/MAGNA-TIP-reg-BITS) or better yet a tool made for taking the bushings off. (http://www.woodgrips.com/t_bar_wrench_bushing_tools.htm)
In addition/alternately to being staked, the bushings could be installed with thread locker which will require some heat to break down.
Regards,
Greg

gunmut
12-11-2011, 08:32 PM
I just changed some out on a Sig 1911 and there was some blue thread locker in place, but with a good tool in hand they came right out.:)

jlaudio29
12-11-2011, 08:42 PM
Slim grips on a 1911 make the world of difference for me. Id never really though about them before until a buddy got a pair of Esmeralda slim grips and showed them to me. It made the gun feel even more amazing in my hands. After that i knew i had to have a pair, so i traded him one of my holsters for the slim grips!!

As far as the staking and threading i have no input, but using the correct flathead bit to take them off is important. You could even take it into a gunshop and there gunsmith should be able to swap them for a nominal fee.

Here is a pic of my slim grips on my Kimber PCII and the regular size grips on my Colt Officer.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q261/jlaudio29/IMAG0087.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q261/jlaudio29/IMAG0086.jpg

cw45fan
12-11-2011, 08:54 PM
Whenever I've swapped out and installed thinner handgun grips it's been better for me... and I have quite big hands... Go figure.

OldLincoln
12-11-2011, 09:34 PM
Slim grips make a huge difference in the feel of the gun in your hand. Old Lincoln and Tucson and one or two others are wearing slim grips and say they are very pleased with them, course they could be jiving too.

No Jiving... they fit better and "Slim is Sexy."

TominCA
12-11-2011, 11:01 PM
You can get the smaler bushings at Brownells - you may also need shorter grip screws so you don't hit the magazine. I filed mine down - but I think you can also buy some at Brownells. Esmerelda grips are great - but there are a lot of others.

Be sure to use some thread locker on the screws or you will always be tightening them up!