PDA

View Full Version : Concealed Carry COLOR?

BrewerGeorge
12-13-2011, 11:14 PM
Here's an oddball thought I just had that I wanted to get some opinions on. (Also posted on glocktalk in case you see it there...)

I'm preparing to have the slide of my CM9 Cerakoted to cover all that pretty stainless with something more subtle. As I'm trying to decide just which black to order, it occurred to me that other colors might actually be more subtle than black.

I'm not talking something bright, but one of the earth tones like flat dark earth or coyote tan. I carry IWB almost exclusively, and the point is to possibly add a bit of insurance for those times when the coat gaps open or you bend funny and a piece of the pistol peaks out. My thought is that something black or silver at a person's waist has a better chance of making a casual observer think "gun!" than does something brown or khaki. Browns or khakis evoke leather and wood, while black and silver usually mean metal, and it's a short trip from metal to gun. (Cell phones and cases have probably reduced this association a bit, though...) Additionally, I think the lighter khaki colors might have the benefit of being easier to conceal inside light T-shirts because there would be less chance of seeing the dark color behind.

I don't know; I'm just throwing the idea out there to see what everybody thinks. What's your opinion?

cw45fan
12-13-2011, 11:38 PM
I look through those charts and basically like them all... Tough to choose... I think I'd go with the Federal Brown for myself but they're all pretty cool... Have fun!

TriggerMan
12-14-2011, 12:47 AM
Here's an oddball thought I just had that I wanted to get some opinions on. (Also posted on glocktalk in case you see it there...)

I'm preparing to have the slide of my CM9 Cerakoted to cover all that pretty stainless with something more subtle. As I'm trying to decide just which black to order, it occurred to me that other colors might actually be more subtle than black.

I'm not talking something bright, but one of the earth tones like flat dark earth or coyote tan. I carry IWB almost exclusively, and the point is to possibly add a bit of insurance for those times when the coat gaps open or you bend funny and a piece of the pistol peaks out. My thought is that something black or silver at a person's waist has a better chance of making a casual observer think "gun!" than does something brown or khaki. Browns or khakis evoke leather and wood, while black and silver usually mean metal, and it's a short trip from metal to gun. (Cell phones and cases have probably reduced this association a bit, though...) Additionally, I think the lighter khaki colors might have the benefit of being easier to conceal inside light T-shirts because there would be less chance of seeing the dark color behind.

I don't know; I'm just throwing the idea out there to see what everybody thinks. What's your opinion?Any concern that you'll introduce malfunctions by changing the tolerances in a tight gun like Kahr?

Husky44
12-14-2011, 12:57 AM
FWIW, most of my gun that's visible in my IWB holster is frame, not slide. The frame's still going to be black.

If I were you, I'd coat it black. Black and tan works good in Irish pubs and on **** hounds, but wouldn't look too good on a gun, in my opinion.

Markis82
12-14-2011, 05:31 AM
FWIW, most of my gun that's visible in my IWB holster is frame, not slide. The frame's still going to be black.

If I were you, I'd coat it black. Black and tan works good in Irish pubs and on **** hounds, but wouldn't look too good on a gun, in my opinion.
I agree with Husky44. Go with black. Get it as near to the frame color and sheen as you can get. Besides if seen, I think that two colors will attract more attention than one. Furthermore, I think anyone might get tired of looking at a brown or green slide after the novelty wears off.

BrewerGeorge
12-14-2011, 06:34 AM
Oh no, Guys, I was talking about having the frame coated too if I went with one of the "other" colors. CT too, for that matter. So the whole thing would be Flat Earth or whatever. One of the additional attractions to black is that it's cheaper because only the slide would need work.

Markis82
12-14-2011, 06:38 AM
Oh no, Guys, I was talking about having the frame coated too if I went with one of the "other" colors. CT too, for that matter. So the whole thing would be Flat Earth or whatever. One of the additional attractions to black is that it's cheaper because only the slide would need work.I still say black.

zebraD
12-14-2011, 06:46 AM
Any concern that you'll introduce malfunctions by changing the tolerances in a tight gun like Kahr?

I was thinking the same thing.

yqtszhj
12-14-2011, 06:50 AM
I vote black. Black does not tend to attract the eye. It disappears more easily. Actually flat dark blue disappears better but who wants a dark blue gun?????

WMD
12-14-2011, 06:54 AM
This is an interesting topic. I am also inclined to say black but I guess it might depend on what color clothing you wear most of the time. If you are wearing browns or kahki, then it would make sense to have similiar color on the gun. If you wear jeans with a black belt, then.... maybe black is a better choice.

One (of the many! :D) thing I wasn't aware of.....
Can you cerakote a polymer frame? Will it hold up with wear?

Markis82
12-14-2011, 07:01 AM
This is an interesting topic. I am also inclined to say black but I guess it might depend on what color clothing you wear most of the time. If you are wearing browns or kahki, then it would make sense to have similiar color on the gun. If you wear jeans with a black belt, then.... maybe black is a better choice.

One (of the many! :D) thing I wasn't aware of.....
Can you cerakote a polymer frame? Will it hold up with wear?That is the answer!!! Have several guns. One colored for each color of clothing you might have. Also a daytime colored gun and an evening gun. :D

BrewerGeorge
12-14-2011, 08:05 AM
That is the answer!!! Have several guns. One colored for each color of clothing you might have. Also a daytime colored gun and an evening gun. :D
Now THAT is an excuse that my wife might finally believe. Guns to match the outfit. Hey, it works for her purses and shoes, right?:p

BEARDOG
12-14-2011, 08:13 AM
I agree it really depends on the color of clothing you wear. If you wear a lot of tans then I guess I FDE color would indeed blend in better.
I think that flat black works, doesn't stand out, most universally so that is why most defensive/military type guns are flat black.

I make leather holsters, and have "thought" about dying a OWB blue just to see if it would blend in better with blue jeans/blue shirts which is the color I wear the most:confused: Don't see many blue ones though LOL.
But again most people want black holsters I assume for the same reason, it just works best most of the time for the most people. A black gun, in a black holster,with a black belt, against a black undershirt really does just blend into each other.

jeepster09
12-14-2011, 08:17 AM
Almost all my guns are two tone green/black.

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv276/jeepster09/IMG_0008.jpg

jeepster09
12-14-2011, 08:19 AM
http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv276/jeepster09/IMG_1009.jpg

jeepster09
12-14-2011, 08:21 AM
http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv276/jeepster09/IMG_1253.jpg

JohnR
12-14-2011, 09:47 AM
If the gun is concealed, no one will see what color it is. I'm not trying to talk you out of changing the color, do what turns you on. But the only time my carry gun will be visible to anyone but me is at the range, in my home, and if a BG threatens me. At none of those times do I care what color the gun is. :)

Bill K
12-14-2011, 09:48 AM
Is "Dirty Tee Shirt" a color they offer? :)

Joking aside I will make a mirror check when carrying AIWB to see if my cover garment, which is sometimes a tee shirt, covers effectively. Colored and thick tees will of course cover better than white tees. Winter carrying AIWB is way easier, pull over knit sweater or sweat shirt does the job every time.

JFootin
12-14-2011, 10:24 AM
Is "Dirty Tee Shirt" a color they offer? :)

Joking aside I will make a mirror check when carrying AIWB to see if my cover garment, which is sometimes a tee shirt, covers effectively. Colored and thick tees will of course cover better than white tees. Winter carrying AIWB is way easier, pull over knit sweater or sweat shirt does the job every time.

While its not huge, I have a middle aged belly and spare tire that kind of ruin me for AIWB. Are you flat bellied? It seems to me like that is the only way that carry position can work. JMHO.

BTW, for me it would be black if I were to color my slide, which I wouldn't. But I agree with JohnR that the gun should never be seen except by a BG about to meet his maker. And, IMO, any other color is going to affect resale value negatively unless you can find anybody else who likes the unusual color.

OldLincoln
12-14-2011, 10:47 AM
Now THAT is an excuse that my wife might finally believe. Guns to match the outfit. Hey, it works for her purses and shoes, right?:p

Wow, why didn't I think of that. Looking in her closet I see a lot of guns that could have been purchased instead of shoes she doesn't wear. The matching color for concealment is a terrific idea. Navy slacks = navy gun, Black slacks = black gun, Dockers = beige gun, Levis = Levi Blue gun.

Chowser
12-14-2011, 11:24 AM
I was going to get it done in black, but ended up getting it done in ENPTFE (it's like Robar's NP3).

I just put another 100 rds through it with no issues. I'm sure cerakote isn't going to cause issues.

My next CM9 will be all black. Or, maybe I will just buy a spare slide and have it done in black...

http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/6981/dsc01975k.jpg

Longitude Zero
12-14-2011, 11:28 AM
Straight Jet Black.

O'Dell
12-14-2011, 11:59 AM
I suppose again, I'm the odd man out. I grew up when you could get any colour in a gun as long as it was black - Brownings, 1911, SIGs, etc, I had them all. Now, I like shiny. Of my fourteen pistols four are black, five are all silver, and five are two-tone black and silver including the Kahrs. Of the black guns, the two HK's and compact M&P only came that way, and the LCP was a gift.

BTW, if something comes along that I simple must have [like the Combat Master last month] the M&P is on the trading block. It's not a bad gun at all, but it's black, it's a 40, and I have three or four others that are similar in size and weight that I prefer to carry such as the CW40.

Bill K
12-14-2011, 12:48 PM
While its not huge, I have a middle aged belly and spare tire that kind of ruin me for AIWB. Are you flat bellied? It seems to me like that is the only way that carry position can work. JMHO.

BTW, for me it would be black if I were to color my slide, which I wouldn't. But I agree with JohnR that the gun should never be seen except by a BG about to meet his maker. And, IMO, any other color is going to affect resale value negatively unless you can find anybody else who likes the unusual color.

67 years old with maybe a hint of a belly. I do aerobics 5 days a week (rowing machine) and lift weights twice a week. I'd hate to see what kind of shape I'd be in if I didn't exercise regularly. :)

My PM9 which is mostly pocket carried does get some time AIWB in my Remora holster. The PM9 carries very nicely AIWB. Glock 26 (width 1.18") almost always AIWB but I can't see carrying anything thicker in that position.

muggsy
01-11-2012, 07:06 PM
Being a Navy man I'm partial to battleship grey.

kahrnut1
01-11-2012, 07:48 PM
when keltec first came out with p3at the lgs owner and i had been talking about trying lauer duracoat. he furnished the gun and i did coating to see how it would hold up. since we were going to change frame cover out when we got through trying it we decided to coat gun in hot pink their brightest color and decided to also see how many people would notice it. this was years before charter and several others had pink guns. i would put the unloaded gun in my shirt pocket barrel down and about 1/2" of pink handle sticking out of pocket and went in & out of gun shop for 2 weeks without sales people or cust. saying any thing about it. finaly got bored changed housing and sold it. i think there might be a moral to this story but i am not shur what it is. and i'm not ---

Thunder71
01-13-2012, 10:56 AM
Here's my PM9 in (I believe) the armorer black.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6168/6218433029_a89ec325c0.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/cwnauman/6218433029/)
Custom Kahr PM9 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/cwnauman/6218433029/) by N0YZE Photo (http://www.flickr.com/people/cwnauman/), on Flickr

BrewerGeorge
01-13-2012, 11:23 AM
I ended up sticking with black because I decided that any benefit of it looking like something else other than a gun during carry was negated by the possibility of somebody on the business end doubting it was a real gun.

So graphite black it is. I never came back to this thread with pics, but posted in the tech forum, so here it is...

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/387970_165622583539544_100002754103524_190501_1224 310381_n.jpg
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/376048_165622553539547_100002754103524_190500_1291 011647_n.jpg

wyntrout
01-13-2012, 12:38 PM
Dark or stealthy... I only want them to see the large hole in the end of the barrel if I have to draw it... .22's don't scare as well as large black holes... preferably .4-something! It's a CONCEALED weapon... not something to show off... like SHINY!:rolleyes:

Wynn:)

yote
02-20-2012, 04:07 PM
If it's concealed, it's colorless.

JohnR
02-20-2012, 05:44 PM

I have a dream, that guns will be judged on the content of their chamber, not the color of their skin!

Ronnie
02-20-2012, 07:38 PM

espresso
02-20-2012, 09:33 PM
I have a dream, that guns will be judged on the content of their chamber, not the color of their skin!

Ha!....love it.

chrish
02-20-2012, 09:46 PM

If a gun is concealed in your britches, and there is noone there to see it, is there really a gun there at all?

muggsy
04-10-2012, 11:08 PM
Here are my thoughts on the issue of colors. When I carry a gun I carry concealed, so the color is of no great consequence. When I pull a gun I want the other S.O.B. to know it's a gun and that I mean business. No pretty pinks for me. The BG will have less than a second to admire the color before he's blinded by the muzzle flash and shot, so again the color is of no great consequence. I guess I'm what you'd call a practical shooter.

Cokeman
04-11-2012, 12:34 AM
I don't care because no one sees my gun anyway, so I want this one.

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o542/tinman507/Kahr_P380_Green_01.jpg

downtownv
04-11-2012, 03:25 AM
I think the color is irrelevant. The only thing that matters is that the BG can clearly see a large black hole looking right at him, just prior to the bright light , the bang and the tip of the projectile touching his skin before entry. That's how we roll....

AIRret
04-11-2012, 05:34 AM
Match your clothes to the color of your gun, you would be surprised how well it can hide the gun. Be like many of us women and coordinate your outfits.

Mike_B
04-11-2012, 09:53 AM

I find my middle age belly actually helps with AIWB. The belly kind of goes around the gun, which keeps it from printing. Sort of hard to describe, so anyone that would like me to post a picture.....

jocko
04-11-2012, 10:37 AM
Mike: are u suggesting I eat 3 McDonalds double cheese burgers a day to obtain better concealmentj???Just askin

muggsy
04-11-2012, 11:25 AM
Mike: are u suggesting I eat 3 McDonalds double cheese burgers a day to obtain better concealmentj???Just askin

It might help, Jocko. It worked for me. I do have to remember to suck in my gut before I draw to avoid bruising. :)

Mike_B
04-11-2012, 12:36 PM
One double cheeseburger a day should do. It should be from Micky D's so you get the pink slime in it.... But don't forget the large fries, dessert, then a few beers to relax in the evening.... I guarantee you'll have more effective concealment in just a couple months!

JFootin
04-11-2012, 12:57 PM
I find my middle age belly actually helps with AIWB. The belly kind of goes around the gun, which keeps it from printing. Sort of hard to describe, so anyone that would like me to post a picture.....

I have been experimenting with AIWB and I am finding that this is true. :p So I asked James Dean to make a holster to carry my J-frame AIWB.

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee486/John_England/Miscellanious%20Guns%20and%20Holsters/MyAIWBHolsterCompleted.jpg

Isn't that a beauty? :tongue: Still awaiting delivery. Looking forward to wearing it! :D

drillnow
04-29-2012, 05:40 PM

I don't know; I'm just throwing the idea out there to see what everybody thinks. What's your opinion?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I spoke to Kahr on this and was told that it would VOID the warranty, just so you will know...

Harleyrider
05-09-2012, 08:36 AM
Personally, I figure pink is best: Even if you miss the BG, he'll probably die of embarrassment from being shot at with a pink gun! ;)

flieger67
05-09-2012, 08:48 AM
How many people find that their guns are less reliable after a refinish? I know that experiences based on the workmanship but do people here have stories to share?

My only story is one that my range officer friend shared. He said that someone where he works had had a Glock refinished by a guy who paints cars (not Kahrs) and had never done a gun before. The guy had paint in so many places that it didn't belong that it made the gun practically inoperable. And that's pretty tough to do with a Glock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

jlottmc
05-09-2012, 08:57 AM
I had a pair Parkerized, and the extractors broke on both. Not a big deal, just a PITA. BTW, glocks are not the perfection you've been lead to believe.

voodoo54
05-20-2012, 05:56 PM
Actually if you want a "true" camoflage don't pick black. Black doesn't occur in natural surrondings except shadows. That's why the Army did away with black in the Universal Camoflage Pattern and the Operation Enduring Freedom Camoflage Pattern (Multi Cam) of the Army Combat Uniforms. Just food for thought.

Barth
05-21-2012, 02:27 PM
For CCW I really don't think it matters much.
Service or House gun you might not want something shinny
and go for a dark matte color.

I really don't worry about that.
I like the ease of care and maintenance of stainless steel myself.
When I think about it all my guns are stainless or nickel plated.
Even my Black on Black Sig P239 is still stainless
with a black on stainless Nitron finish.

I must say the Isonite QPQ matte black finish on my Storm Lake
stainless steel 357 barrel is outstanding though.

I really like Matte Black for that ultimate tactical look.