PDA

View Full Version : Recoil Assembly came apart

dimden
12-14-2011, 07:47 PM
Got back from the range today and was cleaning the CM9 when I took the recoil assembly out to remove the barrel the guide rod was unscrewed from the tube that the outer spring goes on. I looked at pictures and there appears to be a threaded section at the end of the tube which goes into the hole under the barrel (that part is now missing). Has anyone else had theirs come apart?

Thunder71
12-14-2011, 07:51 PM
Never.

That's a new one for me...

Bawanna
12-14-2011, 07:59 PM
If it's what I think your talking about it happens now and then. Theres a round nut like cap on the end that retains the inner spring. Some don't get locktited good enough and the nut flies off never to be seen again.
some have made their own new nut with a lot of filing and shaping.

I'd call or email Kahr and tell them what happened. They most likely will just send you a new assembly. You can save the outer spring for a replacement in a couple thousand rounds. I check mine periodically just to make sure it's not working loose. I just check finger tight, don't want to tighten or loosen it and break the locktite. It seems they are good and never fall off or they fall off pretty early in the game.

TucsonMTB
12-14-2011, 08:00 PM
Almost. Caught it in time to apply a little Loc-Tite and have not had a problem since. There is a thread here somewhere in which the poster made a replacement round nut from a hardware store replacement. But, if you call Kahr, they will cheerfully send you a new one at no cost. Getting a new one from Kahr is definitely the way to go, IMNSHO. :)

dimden
12-14-2011, 08:26 PM
Thanks, I'll call Kahr tomorrow. I just looked on their site for an support email address and couldn't find one. This is what it looks like with the gun assembled.

Thunder71
12-14-2011, 08:29 PM
http://www.kahr.com/contact.asp

It's there:

Technical Support & Service
Attn: Service Dept.

Mailing Address:
130 Goddard Memorial Dr.
Worcester, MA 01603

TEL: 508-795-3919
FAX: 508-795-7046
E-mail: service@kahr.com

TucsonMTB
12-14-2011, 08:31 PM
Thanks, I'll call Kahr tomorrow. I just looked on their site for an support email address and couldn't find one. This is what it looks like with the gun assembled.
Good picture. I have an email address for one of the two CS representatives: jay.dandrea@kahr.com

If you send Jay the picture, I am confident he will respond quickly and helpfully. :)

Edited to add: I see that Mr. Thunder71 responded as I was typing. His address should work just as well, maybe better. As I recall, it was a response to an email sent to the general address that resulted in my having Jay's address. Best of luck either way. :)

dimden
12-14-2011, 08:56 PM
Thanks Guys! This site is the best! I just fired off an email with the pic.

CJB
12-14-2011, 09:34 PM
GREAT picture....

OldLincoln
12-14-2011, 09:57 PM
^^^ Yeah DimDen, I'd say from the looks of that pic you're just plain screwed! :)

340pd
12-15-2011, 11:54 AM
I would say you are UNSCREWED.

jocko
12-15-2011, 11:58 AM
sometimes with picutres, no explanationis ever needed even.

very nice photos..

dimden
12-15-2011, 01:16 PM
I like the idea of being unscrewed! It's better than having a screw loose. Kahr sent me an email today saying they would ship me a new one. I went back to the range today to see if I could find it but no dice. Anyway it was an excuse to go shooting again (life is good).

stuch77
12-15-2011, 04:46 PM
had it happen to me this monday 2nd trip to the range with my new cm9 500rds so far. called kahr tolded them new recoil ass. on its way to me as we speak

TriggerMan
12-15-2011, 04:54 PM
Got back from the range today and was cleaning the CM9 when I took the recoil assembly out to remove the barrel the guide rod was unscrewed from the tube that the outer spring goes on. I looked at pictures and there appears to be a threaded section at the end of the tube which goes into the hole under the barrel (that part is now missing). Has anyone else had theirs come apart?My PM9 lost the shaped nut at the range and Kahr sent one free First Class Mail

wyntrout
12-15-2011, 07:37 PM
It's not hard to file a nut down to replace the nut on the recoil assembly, if you want a spare. Here's my post:

http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=3934

It's really easy and can be done in about 10 minutes using a drill as I did.

Wynn:)

dimden
12-15-2011, 07:54 PM
Wow thanks! I was thinking about getting some steel dowel rod about the right diameter to drill and tap as a stop gap measure waiting for the new recoil assembly. However if a 6-32 nut fits I don't mind grinding it down to fit. I think I'll make a couple of extra's too; nice write up and pics.:D

dimden
12-16-2011, 02:03 PM
Back in Bid Ness! I couldn't wait for the recoil assembly from Kahr; had to get the CM9 running again. I made three at one time using my drill and a bench grinder. Oh yeah, it took about 20 seconds with both the drill and grinder wheel running; I had to touch it to see how smooth it was. Bad idea, as I now have a blister on my finger; that dam thing was hot!

JFootin
12-16-2011, 02:43 PM
Did you locktite it?

skiflydive
12-16-2011, 03:36 PM
Wondering if using brake cleaner to clean your slide and parts loosens up the Locktite. Lots of people use it and it works great but I never thought about it's possible effect on Locktite.

dimden
12-16-2011, 04:09 PM
Yes, I used red loctite after decreasing it with brake cleaner. I do use the brake cleaner (non-chlorinated) to clean the gun, but I can only remember using it once on the recoil assembly.

wyntrout
12-16-2011, 04:18 PM
Very good! Mass production. Did you use stainless steel nuts, though?

Wynn:)

TucsonMTB
12-16-2011, 04:38 PM
Not bad. Stainless or not shouldn't be an issue, given that it stays lubricated pretty well. However, you might want to bevel the back edge, similarly to the way the original was shaped. Otherwise, it may hang up on the front of the slide.

That said, if it does not hang up cycling the slide by hand, you are probably good to go. Congratulations! :)

dimden
12-16-2011, 06:44 PM
Thanks, I did use stainless nuts and a digital caliper to measure. I made sure they were about 30 thousandths smaller than the tube that the main spring goes on, so I don't think they will hang up. I looked at Thunder71 write up to figure out how to do it...Kudos.