PDA

View Full Version : system speed 12/14/11

TriggerMan
12-14-2011, 09:40 PM
FYI

The response has been excruciately slow the past 12 hours. My ISP is Comcast near Detroit, MI

No other websites are giving me issues.

Thanks

Bawanna
12-14-2011, 10:11 PM
Thats what I had all day today. Tried both explorer and firefox. Slower than molasses. Everything else seemed to work. I was beginning to the the IT folks were up to something. I hope it works tomorrow, it was an ugly day today without my quick visits and a lot of ugly happened today that shouldn't have here on the forum.

JFootin
12-15-2011, 08:52 AM
Well, guys, I was in and out of here all day yesterday and never had a problem. TucsonMTB was complaining of slowness yesterday, too. I'll bet it was issues on the Internet that affected certain areas of the country and not others. You know, the infrastructure required to keep the Internet up and running is humongous, and servers do crash every now and then. JMHO.

TheTman
12-15-2011, 11:54 AM
I thought it was my new internet provider at the farmhouse. Things seem better today.

O'Dell
12-15-2011, 11:58 AM
Hit me too. Used Pale Moon, Firefox, and Chrome - no difference.

jocko
12-15-2011, 12:00 PM
so far so good in Indiana..course I also pay off the internet 'GODFATHER".

knkali
12-17-2011, 03:32 AM
slow here....painfully slow

hss.strat
12-17-2011, 04:39 AM
real slow

TriggerMan
12-17-2011, 10:32 AM
Still slow. Ran some speed tests (three different sources, multiple cities). I am at the speeds promised for Comcast Economy Plus, 3.13 Mbps download, .731 Mbps upload

All other websites run normal. I rebooted and ran all maintenance utilities, cleaned cache, temp files, cookies etc.

We need some communication from JohnH....

????

dirtengineer
12-17-2011, 03:09 PM
Was slow a couple of days ago, but fine for me now. Firefox, Matanuska Telephone Association is the ISP here in Eagle River, Alaska.

johnh
12-17-2011, 08:53 PM
Not sure what to tell you guys. I hit the forum from three different ISPs during the week, on perhaps four different PCs and a phone. Sometimes my slate. IE, Firefox, Chrome, Dolphin, Opera. No slowness on any of them at all. I don't think it is us. I don't see anything amiss on the forum software. I do know the hosting company is doing a backup server upgrade in the AM tonight, but I don't think that would have any impact on the forum other than the outage at that time.

johnh
12-17-2011, 08:58 PM
I just heard back from the hosting company and they said there is an issue with Comcast affecting traffic to their service. Nothing to do with the host or the forum. I am sorry I don't have a better answer for those affected. My ISPs are not going through them, so that explains why I have not seen it.

JFootin
12-17-2011, 09:56 PM
I just heard back from the hosting company and they said there is an issue with Comcast affecting traffic to their service. Nothing to do with the host or the forum. I am sorry I don't have a better answer for those affected. My ISPs are not going through them, so that explains why I have not seen it.

Comcast are a bunch of arrogant ba****ds! When I was a customer of theirs, I had a subscription to twice a day weather updates from a local TV station. One day, they just stopped coming. Found out that Comcast was deleting them as junk mail at their server. I contacted them and told them that it was not junk, but something I subscribed to. They told me "Oh, we don't clear emails from our junk filters because a CUSTOMER says so. Ask the web master at the company to contact us and convince us that his stuff isn't junk." So it won't matter how many KT members who are CUSTOMERS contact them about this problem. They won't listen to puny little CUSTOMERS. The web master at KT is going to have to try and get an audience with the "kings" at Comcast and convince them that they shouldn't be intentionally interfering with traffic to a gun forum. I wouldn't be surprised if it is a bunch of leftist radical gun haters there doing this on purpose! :32:

O'Dell
12-17-2011, 10:40 PM
I started out with Media One twenty years ago, then AT&T, and now Comcast. Media One wasn't bad, AT&T was a total disaster, and I've had no problem with Comcast. What few small issues have cropped up over the years have been handled quickly, so I have no complaints. I understand some other folks in the area that have Charter haven't been so lucky.

TriggerMan
12-17-2011, 11:15 PM
I spoke to Comcast tech support around 18:30 EST. We "pinged" kahrtalk.com and found we couldn't get an appropriate response time. Four packets sent, four lost..."timed out". Attempting to Ping yahoo.com resulted in min/max/average times to be high. A technician is coming out on Tuesday.

If I get a very savy "big picture" technician, we may get to the bottom of this. My times to Ping Xfinity.com were normal, other sites outside the acceptable range (<50 ms).

Other COMCAST users need to make a call so they'll see a pattern and can isolate the server or other bottleneck.

Bawanna, are you still impacted? Are you using comcast?

Is anyone who is impacted NOT on comcast?

Thanks

zamboni
12-17-2011, 11:38 PM

Thanks

This site has been VERY slow for me ever since I joined a couple of months ago. I'm not with comcast, and this is the only slow site I visit. It's a little annoying, but nothing I can't live with.

TriggerMan
12-18-2011, 02:14 AM
This site has been VERY slow for me ever since I joined a couple of months ago. I'm not with comcast, and this is the only slow site I visit. It's a little annoying, but nothing I can't live with.I seem to be back to normal after 4-5 days. Let's see what happens in the next 24 hours.

Bawanna
12-18-2011, 10:01 AM
I spoke to Comcast tech support around 18:30 EST. We "pinged" kahrtalk.com and found we couldn't get an appropriate response time. Four packets sent, four lost..."timed out". Attempting to Ping yahoo.com resulted in min/max/average times to be high. A technician is coming out on Tuesday.

If I get a very savy "big picture" technician, we may get to the bottom of this. My times to Ping Xfinity.com were normal, other sites outside the acceptable range (<50 ms).

Other COMCAST users need to make a call so they'll see a pattern and can isolate the server or other bottleneck.

Bawanna, are you still impacted? Are you using comcast?

Thanks

I'm not sure what carrier they use at work. That fella from Eagle River Alaska had issues and he wasn't on comcast. I'll find out first thing tomorrow morning if it's ok, I sure hope so.
Many this morning are saying all is well again, so maybe I'll get lucky, well it did'nt work last night but this is a whole new day and tomorrows another new day too.

johnh
12-18-2011, 10:50 AM
It may depend on where the delay hits in the chain of connections between the end user and the hosting company--not necessarily at the actual ISP. I am just speculating since I am not seeing this from any of the providers I use.

TriggerMan
12-18-2011, 10:56 AM
It may depend on where the delay hits in the chain of connections between the end user and the hosting company--not necessarily at the actual ISP. I am just speculating since I am not seeing this from any of the providers I use.John, I've been at full speed since between 3 and 4 am. I continiue to be at full/normal speed at 12:55 EST, i.e., right now. I'll watch it for another day before I cancel my tech service call from Comcast.

Thanks for checking things and posting.