PDA

View Full Version : MK9 w/Crimson Trace review

awpk03s
12-16-2011, 09:21 PM
New member here... thought I would share a review of a new MK9 I purchased recently.

Kahr MK9 w/Night Sights:

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/mba656/guns/DSC03261.jpg
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/mba656/guns/DSC03263.jpg
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/mba656/guns/DSC03262.jpg

The micro sized stainless 9mm is my new dedicated carry gun. It's small size and flat profile makes it easy to carry in a pocket, IWB, or on the ankle. Some will say that it is too heavy for pocket carry, but I disagree. I don't find pocket carrying this pistol obtrusive in any way. It really shines IWB however. The sheer compactness of the gun makes it amazingly easy to conceal - anytime anywhere. And no sharp edges anywhere make it comfortable as well. I ordered an Occidental Stronghold Phoenix to carry it IWB, but my Comp-Tac CTAC is making do in the meantime, as well as a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster, and Galco AnkleGlove.

Enough about my intentions and how it carries... what about the gun itself and how does it shoot? Well, when I picked it up I added a set of Crimson Trace Lasergrips for it. I really kind of like the idea of LG on a carry piece. A nice feature is these grips are nicely checkered which is more grippy than the stippling on the hard polymer factory grips. I took it to the range and fired 200 rounds of 115gr FMJ (WWB & Federal) and 50 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P hollow points. I used both factory magazines, a flush 6 rounder and an extended 7 rounder.

The trigger pull is as sweet as I remembered it, and the weight of the stainless gun really helps with the recoil, which was very light. Accuracy was excellent as I expected, but for the most part I was not shooting for accuracy - just trying to put rounds down range to break it in and make sure everything works properly.

I did most of my shooting with the lasergrips turned off. I really like the 3 dot Meprolight Night Sights on this gun, and they work quite well for me. I did shoot with the laser as well to sight it in, and to get acquainted with it. The laser is different - I find myself still wanting to line up the sights instead of following the red dot, but I imagine the dot's usefulness really shows when you are for whatever reason compromised or in a stressful situation. I probably need to do some additional shooting and training with it to be sure.

Kahr recommends 200 rounds minimum to properly break in the gun and alleviate any reliability problems thereafter. I fired more than the requisite number of rounds, and I'm pleased to say that upon doing so, I had no issues. I had 3-4 FTE in the first couple boxes of ammo where the spent case got stuck in the ejection port. A quick rack of the slide spit it out and chambered the fresh round without problem. I could have been limp wristing the gun also - this was a pretty extended shooting session for me as I also fired several others during the range trip too. But, the good news for me is that once I eclipsed so many rounds, and dived into the hollow points, I had no problems.

I really really like this pistol and think I've found my CCW nirvana here.

cw45fan
12-16-2011, 11:30 PM
Another excellent report... Thanks for the effort!

KMA
01-02-2012, 11:08 AM
That MK9 looks very cool! Thanks for sharing.

wayneo1
01-03-2012, 08:16 PM
Great review mine just keeps getting better and better the more I use it. Those grips look nice.