Xssights   Crimsontrace   Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters

Thread: brass flakes

Default brass flakes

Today I put 100 rounds through my CW9, which puts me at 150 of 200 for the break in period.

When I was cleaning it I noticed a number of brass flakes, they had the size and appearance of glitter.

Why is this happening and should i be alarmed?

nope natural, it is called primerswipe and I think the manual shows u what it looks like. keep it clean and just shoot it like u stole it..

even more to read the kahr tech section and the propper prepping of ur kahr and it tellsu how to clean out that striker channel using that little clean out hole on the bottom of the slide. spray clean through that hole area every time u clean ur gun and it will never let u down.
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

thank you jocko, i have yet to read a thread that you are not in

well all I can say is don't hold ur breath either . I seem to be nosey on this forum..
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

lol jocko is our ol wise one around here.... when in doubt, ask jocko! (well most of the time at least) haha
    Last edited by PYROhafe; 05-07-2012 at 04:52 PM. Reason: didnt want to call jocko "old"
    NRA Life Member

"Gunfighting is the American martial art"
    -Lt. Col. Dave Grossman

COMMON SENSE isn't

well u obviously know this forum has some flakes of its own here and they are like fokking rabbits they just keep increasing.

Did anyone notice today thyat some dad found a box turtle in his back yard "again" that his sone 45 years ago had found and he carved his name and year in the bottom \portion of the shell and now 45 years later this turtle is found alive.

I am told this turtle is really pissed to, he is armed and looking for the a$$hole who mutilated his body 45 years ago. Just sayin.

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

I took my CW9 apart tonight to replace the striker spring with the Wolff 5# spring. While I was in there I figured I give a thorough cleaning to the striker channel...I could have filled a bottle of goldschlager with all the little flakes that came out! I have about 500 rounds through it, and it was nasty in there. But from what I've read, totally normal.

Quote Originally Posted by cjm2022 View Post
    Today I put 100 rounds through my CW9, which puts me at 150 of 200 for the break in period.

When I was cleaning it I noticed a number of brass flakes, they had the size and appearance of glitter.

Why is this happening and should i be alarmed?
    No this is normal.

Brass flakes are good for you. Most shooters enjoy them with a little milk and maybe some fruit bits in the morning. They make a great after school snack.

~~

Brass flakes off of ..."brass" all the time. This will diminish a bit with shooting, as things get smoother on the various surfaces, but... I've got old 1911's that show flakes of brass on the bolt face and under the slide. Normal is as normal does (so says Forrest)