Tommy Gun   CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights   Crimsontrace

Thread: My Mossberg 500A Tactical Mods

Default My Mossberg 500A Tactical Mods

Ok, so I stuck with my Mossberg 500A to tac mod, as I was considering buying a new Maverick 88 and leaving that stock instead.
    Going with my Mossberg, I saved roughly $100, and I think I'm much more pleased with my results so far.

This is what I added:
    Modifications for $190 included:
    Stock: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemD...u=2ADVA1101140
    Barrel: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemD...x?sku=2MS90015
    $30 worth of 3 boxes of #4 Lead Buckshot and 1 box of rifled slugs
    Flashlight mount for current flashlight(no pressure switch): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00

The stock:
    The ATI instructions were a little hazy and didn't include the essential tools like 2 allen wrenches that install required. That was the first gun part I've ever ordered that did not include tools. Maybe those expectations are high, but that's what I've come to expect, especially an allen wrench or two. The hazy instructions also resulted in a stripped screw in the cheek rest. Hopefully I can call ATI tomorrow and have some sent my way. I'm not demanding, but those instructions were tricky(I'm also not dense).
    I also couldn't get the adjustable portion of the stock off of the buffer tube like instructed. I didn't want to break the plastic piece that you pull down on to do this, so I really didn't want to pull too hard, though I gave it moderate effort.
    The ergonomics are superb all around, and all that I would expect out of a good after market stock! The pistol grip feels great. The stock feels solid. And the buttpad is nice and soft which will be great for recoil. The pistol grip is also gel-like on the back side where the palm contacts the grip.
    I can't wait to shoot this rig! It also came with a 1/2" Stock-drop in case you need to raise the barrel's line of sight. It also came with a sling attachment option that I didn't not attach yet.

The barrel:
    The barrel clicked right in! Not TOO much to say here.
    It was pretty greasy on the outside. And VERY dirty on the inside(See picture 2) I cleaned the bore out with CLP, but just dry ragged the outside as to retain some of that factory grease. (Idk how to maintain blued metal yet and am open to suggestions.)
    So the moral of the story here is clean out those new barrels before firing through them!

All in all, a GREAT project, and one that I achieved cost effectively. I actually really like the look of the gun in the end, although when it's all said and done, I will probably end up with 2 shotguns; 1 tac, and 1 hunter. I am still waiting on the light mount, but that will just clamp on the mag tube at 6 o'clock. Nothing you guys can't imagine.

Leave lots of input and comments guys! I wanna know what my gun buddies think.

This is the link to my thread asking for help on this subject:
    http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=13421
    http://mossbergowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4303

*Edited to rotate picture
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kahr PM9094 - Hornady Critical Defense

Marlin 30-30
    Mossberg 500A 12 GA
    Marlin .22LR

Looks nice, almost like you planned the color combo. Seems like it would be right at home in Jeepsters toy box. The barrel and stock balance out nicely. Looks so good I might get the stock myself. Already have the barrels.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Looks great and you made a very logic based choice here. Looks like money well spent. I think you can be proud of what you have there. I too like the black and the cammo, looks sharp.

What's the wife think of it?

Range report when your ready, good times ahead.
    I was once asked if I was "a paranoid for carrying my Kahr".
    "Nope" I said, "just prepared".
    " prepared for what" he asked?
    "more stuff than you are"
    God Bless our Troups!

Impressive! The cammo & black combo is very nice.

I've got a Mossberg 590A1 (heat shield and front bead, not heavy barrel with ghost ring). I've been toying with the idea of customizing mine a little, too. Thanks for the inspiration to get a bit more serious about it.
    "Tolerance is a virtue of a man who has no convictions." - G.K. Chesterton

“In any compromise between food and poison, it is only death that can win.” – Ayn Rand

I like the combo too.

Tried to buy an ATI stock to replace the broken original stock on my really old Marlin 989 m2 (22 that looks like an m2 carbine). No luck!
    On the internet, the number of posts do not correlate to actual knowledge.
    The notch is supposed to be there as well as the bulge at the front of the frame!
    You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws.

Lookin good! You getting used to the pistol grip and the slide release? I learned to do a quick rotate and not miss a beat.
    “I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials.”
    “To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.”
    --George Mason

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Got that DC?

Yea, I havent fired it yet, but you'd think I live in a third world country being taken over by zombies the way I carry it around lol. I am adapting quickly.
    Ive foreshadowed to a stressful situation and losing fine motor skills, and I have opted to keep 1 in the chamber because of that slide release.
    Besides, I don't want him gettin away just to come back better prepared!

Marlin 30-30
    Mossberg 500A 12 GA
    Marlin .22LR

Update:
    Called ATI. My replacement parts are on their way! So far I am very pleased with their product and CS both.

Marlin 30-30
    Mossberg 500A 12 GA
    Marlin .22LR