Magnum Research new   CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights   Tommy Gun

Thread: It's here! Range report on my new PM9

Default It's here! Range report on my new PM9

Well gents, picked up the PM9 Saturday. DLC with night sights, new in the box, plus Pearce grip extensions and free shipping for $720 on gunbroker. Also picked up an 8 round mag (K920G) for home use.

Hit the range on Sunday after cleaning and greasing the gun. Started out with Federal 115 gr FMJ.

First impressions:

Recoil was not nearly as bad as I expected considering the light weight, even with the six round mag. The 7 rounder is nice, the grip extension giving a boost to comfort, but it's still totally controllable with the 6 round, even with +P. The 8 round mag also helps, but the gap between the grip and the grip extension takes away from the comfort, my pinky can wedge in there, but I might look into fashioning some kind of extension or wrap to fill that in better. I didn't get a chance to install/try the Pearce extension on the 6 round mag.

No malfunctions during the first box. I ran all three magazines normally, then again with one already in the chamber. No problems there. During the second and third box of FMJ I twice had the slide lock open with rounds still in the magazine. I was acutely aware of where my thumb was because I've heard it's easy to hit the slide release lever with your thumb, but my natural grip keeps my thumb pretty low, and since my trigger finger comes back pretty far during the pull, I even have to offset my thumb outwards a little bit to clear it, so I don't THINK that I hit it, but anything's possible. I did notice during assembly that the spring that holds the slide lock lever down isn't as strong as I would have expected. In fact, it doesn't even contact the lever until you push the lever up a little bit. I'm wondering if a little bit of limp-wristing is rotating that lever up just enough to catch on its own, and if there's a way to stiffen that up or lower the point of contact to hold the lever down a touch more.

After 150 rounds of FMJ with only those two lock-backs, I switched to Gold Dot 124gr +P. There was a definite increase in 'pop', but it didn't affect control too much. I had one FTE in 20 rounds, no obvious cause... maybe limp wrist. I also tried 20 rounds of Gold Dot 147gr, no problems. That was it for JHP testing due to $$.

Trigger pull was long, but very smooth. The pressure ramps up noticeably towards the end, but nothing bad.

My first box of FMJ I didn't pay any attention to accuracy, but as soon as I started some controlled slow fire on the second box, I was a happy man. At 25 feet, it took me 22 rounds before anything left the 10 ring. Impact was just above point of aim, which is what I'm accustomed to from shooting competitive in college. This gun shoots more than accurately enough for defense purposes.

Incidentally, I picked up an UpLULA mag loader when my thumb went on strike after about 100 rounds into brand new magazines. It was excellent, well worth it. Once I got a rhythm going I could easily load the 8 rounder full up in no time. Great little tool.

So I also took the plunge and have a Silent Thunder IWB holster on its way, along with a gun belt and 250 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense ($199 shipped at http://www.targetsportsusa.com).

So in summary: I'm conditionally stoked. If I can get a couple hundred rounds of FTX through it without problems, I'll be good to go. I'm also considering adding a Hogue grip and trying to create some kind of plastic grip extension for use with the 8 round magazine.

Pic: First 20 aimed rounds @ 25 ft, two handed free standing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Congrats

Great report and congrats, gotta love the PM9 and Silent Thunder combo - good choice!

Outstanding. Great report. You did your homework and went to the range with a good solid plan and it obviously paid off.
    I'm so happy shes doing so well for ya and it will no doubt get even better as time and rounds go by.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Nice shootin!
    Kahr PM9, P380, T9, CW9, and a crapload of Glocks.

ragnor d. super nice shooting, kinda mames me sick to my stomach. I have over 30,000 rounds through my PM9 and I can assure you I cannot do that. Kinda shoots my theory in the ass that kahrs are a hard gun to shoot accuratley. Maybe I should change that to ANY GUN IN MY HANDS IS A HARD GUN TO SHOOT ACCURATELY.