Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights   Tommy Gun
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Son

Good lookin’ boy!
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

This all I see.

NRA Benefactor

Quote Originally Posted by kenemoore View Post
    This all I see.

They’re gone for me again!
    Weird.
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

It's a sad day.............After having Micah for 19 days, much discussion, and talking to the shelter, we decided to return him to the shelter. Over the 19 days, he proved himself to be a very smart boy. We taught him and he understood sit, stay, down, out, lay down, and no, repeatedly, and he had a real sweet side. He always looked at your face for direction and had no food aggression or touching issues. Over time, he started biting and nipping. We tried everything we knew to stop the biting, but to no avail. Then he started picking on the wife. Jumping, biting, nipping, etc. Probably trying to find his place in the pack. He was good on walks, and I had him not trying to sniff anything, and just cruising down the road. Cars weren't bothering him. All of a sudden, he started jumping and biting the wife towards the end of walks. Flipping and jumping. He was also grabbing the leash. Most of the time, it's because they want attention, but the biting after walks became harder bites. He started fixating on cars and wanted to go after them. The wife was black and blue on her arms and legs. Work probably thought I was abusing the missus. He was also occasionally starting to chew furniture. Then yesterday, he started doing this behavior to me. I know that he was a higher energy dog, so we thought that he was frustrated and needed more exercise. Every day, the wife walked him 2 miles in the morning. I walked him 2 miles in the afternoon. We played with toys for a while, and we had been outside numerous times. One of us got up every night at 3:30 AM to take him out. It wasn't enough. The "experts" say that they need 5 minutes of exercise per month of age. He's 6 months old, so 30 minutes a day. With walks and playtimes, he had about 3 hrs. and it wasn't even close to enough. You don't want to exercise them too much as pups to let their bones develop properly. With these behavioral issues escalating still at 6 months and the energy level needed to keep him calm, we just couldn't supply his needs. We believe that he wanted to be alpha, along with whatever habits he picked up at shelters, and his life's journey so far, he needed more training and exercise and other help that we just don't have the energy for. He needs to be on a large property or farm, and or with a younger single male, no young kids................I hope that the shelter works with him and doesn't adopt him out right away. The intensity is too much for most people right now. I'll follow the shelter's website and see what happens. I told the wife that I feel guilty, and I gave up, but I couldn't have him injuring the wife or the house. I hope he finds a happy landing. I still think, under the right circumstances, he could be a great dog.

Definitely don’t beat yourself up over it. You did the right thing for your family and as a result, Micah.

The shelter may find the perfect fit for him.

You can now find the perfect fit for you and your wife. I wish you the best of luck in your search for a replacement.

-Wlf